cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Fees with Managed Payments

Good video explaining - how little sellers benefit with managed payments as far as fees. Promises - promises!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8Q26HigHk

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

The $.25 fee per listing is bad for me.  I will not have any savings with Managed Payments.

I did some rough calculations and an average order for me will go from a $.75 fee (5% of total sale) to a $1.41 fee (9% of total sale).  IMHO, this is going to hit sellers of low priced items pretty hard Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

The $.25 fee per listing is bad for me.  I will not have any savings with Managed Payments.

I did some rough calculations and an average order for me will go from a $.75 fee (5% of total sale) to a $1.41 fee (9% of total sale).  IMHO, this is going to hit sellers of low priced items pretty hard Smiley Sad

I'd like to know if the overseas sellers are also subject to that additional 25 cents? I'm just disappointed as I do think it will bring in more buyers - but at what cost? They promised us a significant savings and better seller protection - so far I see neither.

Have worked most of the day getting even more listings cross posted - so if I don't let them renew - at least they will be available elsewhere. 

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Good video explaining - how little sellers benefit with managed payments as far as fees. Promises - promises!

There is absolutely NO justification for charging a seller .25 per additional item bought by the same buyer if the buyer makes ONE payment for all of the items on his / her invoice.

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

I'd like to know if the overseas sellers are also subject to that additional 25 cents? I'm just disappointed as I do think it will bring in more buyers - but at what cost? They promised us a significant savings and better seller protection - so far I see neither.

Have worked most of the day getting even more listings cross posted - so if I don't let them renew - at least they will be available elsewhere. 

Yes, I would also like to know if the overseas sellers will also be subjected to the 25 cent fee.  One can only hope, I guess.

I am in the process of putting almost all of my listings into variation listings.   I might get some relief from the per listing sold fee once managed payments rolls out if buyers choose multiple items from one variation listing.  Moving listings into variation listings means I won't need so many listings, so I downgraded my store one level on May 31st. 

At this point, I feel pretty certain I will need to raise my prices once Managed Payments kicks in.   Sooner or later, I expect that the online market will no longer support the price I have to charge for my items.  

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

Yes, I would also like to know if the overseas sellers will also be subjected to the 25 cent fee.  One can only hope, I guess.

I don't even think they are subject to Managed Payments at all. 

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

Charlie Lucy Football

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 7 of 50
latest reply

@flipper2flipper wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

There is absolutely NO justification for charging a seller .25 per additional item bought by the same buyer if the buyer makes ONE payment for all of the items on his / her invoice.

Sure there is!

large

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 8 of 50
latest reply

Besides the very small savings under ideal circumstances, what I don't see mentioned is the lack of an official protection policy against unauthorized use claims coming via credit cards.  Paypal seller protection actually does a good job of covering those claims as long as the seller ships to the address provided with tracking.  You can easily get a couple of those UA claims in a year and from everything I've seen and asked about, there is zero official protection being offered in MP.  The seller will lose the entire amount of the payment contested by the credit card plus a chargeback fee as icing on the cake.  

What I don't get is why at this early stage eBay is giving up the carrot of significantly lower fees to entice sellers into the program? There are still very few sellers in the MP, so you'll need some enticement to ease the process. From what I see that's all out the door for short term revenue boost and it'll need to all stick going forward forcing folks into the program.  Chaos ahead guaranteed. 

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

@flipper2flipper wrote:

obamathis.gif

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 50
latest reply

I posted in this thread about categories that need variations, but I think it's worth repeating.

With the recent announcement of per listing managed payment fees it will be even more important to have the variations option in more categories.

I would also like to add in a vote to eliminate the buy it now button from the listing page and make add to cart the default. Buy it now can instead be added to the pop-up window that appears when you add an item to the cart.

I get a lot of buyers who buy from variations listings but pay for every item separately because they don't use the cart.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 50
latest reply

The rah-rah-rah is all well and good, but I would still like to know what was being referred to when the Community Manager mentioned 'Variable Processing fee' in regards to the processing fee - which is set in the Payments Terms OF Use at 2.7% (effective June 4, 2019).  Ref.: Message 12 of 58, Weekly Chat, May 29, 2019.

"We're working with the Payments team to figure out the best format for a Q&A session. It may be a live chat but I think having a place where you can submit questions and we come back with answers at a later time might work better. With payments and financial information, we want to make sure that all information is accurate and that may require us having more time to research questions.  

Here is more info on the fee: 

A per-listing payments fee works like this— example, if a buyer purchases two $5 items from you with the same eBay item number (that is, multiple quantities from the same listing), you would be charged only one payment listing fee of $0.25 plus the variable processing fee (i.e. a percentage based on the total amount of the sale).

If a buyer purchases two items from you from different listings, you would be charged the per listing payment fee of $0.25 twice, plus the variable payments processing fee (i.e. variable rate as % of sale + per listing payments fee)."

There is more than one way of interpreting that, there has been no explanation or definition forthcoming, and that is not verbiage from the posted 'Payments Terms of Use, Effective June 4, 2019'.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 12 of 50
latest reply

Variable: domestic and international will have different fees once eBay adds GSP to managed payments.

Variable: early adopters and late adopters may have overlapping periods where they pay different rates. 2.7% for early adopters and something higher for the masses who join later until a certain date when everybody will be at the same rate.

I think the word variable is in place to cover the program's expansion.

This is conjecture - an educated guess - not something eBay has confirmed.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Variable: domestic and international will have different fees once eBay adds GSP to managed payments.

Variable: early adopters and late adopters may have overlapping periods where they pay different rates. 2.7% for early adopters and something higher for the masses who join later until a certain date when everybody will be at the same rate.

I think the word variable is in place to cover the program's expansion.

This is conjecture - an educated guess - not something eBay has confirmed.

Personally - and no offense meant - I would like to hear the official ebay - from ebay - explanation. 

I can think of more suppositions, and possible explanations, than those, but, then again, I'm not the one placing the program into mandatory use nor the one collecting the fees.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 50
latest reply

No offense taken. I want to hear the official word from eBay, as well. Guessing games don't mean much when finances are involved. I was just tossing out some food for thought.

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 50
latest reply