cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller defect system needs revision, more precision

I recently received a seller defect for cancelling a transaction for being "out of stock".  I had earlier messaged the buyer and mentioned on a Friday (purchase was the day before, on Thurs) that although I could not locate the purchase, there was a possibility that it would turn up early the following week.  I had also mentioned that it was possible the item had previously sold, and that even if that was correct (I honestly wasn't sure), I may have had in my collection a second, identical item that I needed more time locate.  I made it clear to the buyer that I would keep looking, pursuing, and rather than keep the buyer in limbo, would refund his money and get back to him soon (if I find item).

Low and behold, I located the item he purchased the following Monday, and messaged him as to such.  He had already been given a "pending" refund...and there was no reply.  In fact, the only reply I ever did receive, from my initial message about this, was one word:  "OK".

I was later left a positive feedback with the comment, "ok", and some days later, noticed the defect in my SD... This defect does not seem fair....Since it has been so long since my last and only other defect, I am wondering if this is something the seller made happen, or did eBay automatically ding me with the defect absent seller inputs?

I believe it should be removed, although I know that it is not easy for that to have happen.  Thoughts and constructive responses welcome, also any insight into the defect rules of eBay.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Seller defect system needs revision, more precision

I'd be willing to bet you the buyer couldn't have re-bought the item (at least not that fast) - simply because it is highly doubtful the buyer could have found another one of these in that time frame.  They are vintage, and rare.  I've only ever seen one or two of these ever, in the 20 years I have been on eBay.  Not that I looked often, but they didn't make a lot what I am talking about, far as I know.

A buyer could possibly find the entire kit, and buy the whole farm so to speak....but the instruction manual on it's own is very hard to find anywhere, even on eBay.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Just the demand itself for an item like this, is scarce.   Not many people would even think to look for it, or know what it is.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

that's what I wasn't recalling, in my memory.  I wasn't sure if it was DRS-related or not.  But that's my point:  NO DRS defect or contact dispute, there should be no defect.  The way it is now, seems harsh.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

This (along with varying replies) is the most confusing thread I have ever read.

OP - Did you cancel the buyer's transaction using the OOS reason ??

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Only 2 metrics count on ebay, seller canceled transactions and cases that are not resolved by the seller.  SNAD is not really a problem anymore as long as you take the return which is a great improvement over the days when something getting smashed in shipping was a ding even if you replaced it or refunded. I quit selling most fragile items back then because of the dings if they got broken. 

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@katzrul15 Preach!  Agree 100% and add the following:  Why do these defects stay on our account for one full year???  Seems excessive to me.  Every time I look at my seller dashboard, I see a defect that will be there for a year, and it's like  I get spanked every day for a year.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

I agree with you 100%.  The defect system is unfair, especially for small sellers.  Defects stay on our accounts for 1 full year.  Last week, I had a customer purchase a brand new bag of Adidas shin guards from me.  He opened a return request stating the item didn't fit his child.  I didn't want the item back because he already opened them .  I refunded him immediately and told him to give the shin guards to a child in need. 

Defect for me.  Deserved?  I don't think so.  I didn't do anything wrong but now I have to see it on my account for a year. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy 

And your situation is one of the most unfair - should have not been a SNAD, but a remorse return.  Does not matter if the Buyer selects the "wrong" reason, etc or opens a claim in error and closes it - it still counts against the Seller.

Again, if you are a TRS and all other metrics are above standard, that Seller should get 1-2 removed per year.  Like a mulligan or whatever.  1 or 2 do-overs.  It is impossible to be "perfect".  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@password9019 wrote:

that's what I wasn't recalling, in my memory.  I wasn't sure if it was DRS-related or not.  But that's my point:  NO DRS defect or contact dispute, there should be no defect.  The way it is now, seems harsh.

It is harsh, but eBay is very black and white.  They can barely keep this site running, they're not going to implement a delicately balanced matrix of cause and effect to determine if something deserves a defect or not, because it would end up like the English language - more exceptions than rules.  I'm not crazy about any of it, but I understand the administrative nightmare it would cause.  I sell quite a few other places and there isn't a whole lot of leeway anywhere, but more than eBay has, but eBay is also a huge site - maybe it's simply too big to manage with the resources it has.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

Oh, cry me a river, bro, as I don't feel your paint. We byers spend time looking for a particular item WITH AN ASSUMPTION (what a surprise!!!), that wen we BIN or bid and win that item, and subsequently PAY fort, that item will be readily available, and seller will get it out of the door in a timely manner. Actions like your cause additional loss of time (and in some cases an emotional distress, depending on a situation) for us buyers (just connect the dots to see what I mean). So your inability to provide goods as advertised, justifies SD!!! Plain and simple. 

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

So you decided to open a 7 month old thread just to abuse the OP and other sellers - well done.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

eBay already  provides an allowance (threshold) before  the seller status is affected - defects do  disappear  after a period of time - no one is perfect and i recall  never once receive all 100%  or A on all subject matter, tests, exams, theme papers, book reports,  projects etc in my 19 years of formal education starting from K thru 12 and beyond.  But had a lot  of  **bleep** & Cs and a few scattered  As here an there including gym.

IOnce  received a a defect  for a pair of patent leather shoes that "some how" got  damaged while in storage - I cancelled the transaction and did not not ship - I earned the defect and had a   Scarlet  D-efect  hanging around my neck for  a year - much better than happened to Hester Prynne - my TRS status  wasn't effected at all - didn't loose sleep - as they say "Stuff Happens".  But I did  check all my inventory to  make certain there was no further issues.

From  the words of eBay -

Defects will only impact your seller levels if they drop below certain thresholds. Your current seller levels is Above Standard Based off your current defect rate, if you were evaluated today your Seller level would be Above Standard. Your next evaluation will be on May 20, 2022. You can view a detailed breakdown of your performance in your Seller Dashboard

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards?id=4080&st=12&pos=3&qu...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Are you still a "Top Rated" seller?

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply