cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller defect system needs revision, more precision

I recently received a seller defect for cancelling a transaction for being "out of stock".  I had earlier messaged the buyer and mentioned on a Friday (purchase was the day before, on Thurs) that although I could not locate the purchase, there was a possibility that it would turn up early the following week.  I had also mentioned that it was possible the item had previously sold, and that even if that was correct (I honestly wasn't sure), I may have had in my collection a second, identical item that I needed more time locate.  I made it clear to the buyer that I would keep looking, pursuing, and rather than keep the buyer in limbo, would refund his money and get back to him soon (if I find item).

Low and behold, I located the item he purchased the following Monday, and messaged him as to such.  He had already been given a "pending" refund...and there was no reply.  In fact, the only reply I ever did receive, from my initial message about this, was one word:  "OK".

I was later left a positive feedback with the comment, "ok", and some days later, noticed the defect in my SD... This defect does not seem fair....Since it has been so long since my last and only other defect, I am wondering if this is something the seller made happen, or did eBay automatically ding me with the defect absent seller inputs?

I believe it should be removed, although I know that it is not easy for that to have happen.  Thoughts and constructive responses welcome, also any insight into the defect rules of eBay.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Yes, it is something the 'seller' made happen bc you were out of stock

Do you have the 'out of stock' feature enabled?

Here is the link for defects info>

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/appeal-defect?id=4871&...

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

When a seller cancels for "out of stock" the seller gets a ding on their account. 

It doesnt matter if it was found and rebought and shipped.

The 1st purchase was canceled for out of stock. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

I too have often wondered why e-Bay places such a heavy emphasis on OOS and does not allow each TRS Seller 1 or 2 per year without penalty, if all other metrics are above standard.

It happens to even the best Sellers and especially with the "ghost" listings that they "know" get relisted, you would think they could offer some "minor" relief to a TRS.

They won't, but they should.  Even if it is just (1) hall pass, etc.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

^^^ Agree ^^^

I recently had to cancel a sale because when packaging for shipping I found a small chip on one plate out of a brand new set of 4.  I had inspected the set when I acquired it and did not notice it, but bright sun light showed it clearly.  I had to cancel the order as "damaged" and got a big old bad defect, same as an out of stock as far as damage to one's account.  I got punished for not sending a buyer a damaged item.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

EBay considers you earned your defect

EBay encourages sellers to complete transactions to discourage unhappy buying experiences in order to promote sales & profit

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

I didn't re-buy anything.  It was buried in a box beneath other items of mine.  I had looked in the box at the time,, just didn't 'dig' deep enough to find it (It was a manual, flat paper, at the bottom of the box..only a two sided fold-out).

My point is, why would eBay issue this defect when there is no buyer complaint, no buyer-to-eBay contact, and no non-resolution end to a transaction?   I was particularly irked by the lack of buyer communication however - one word, "ok"????

Obviously, the buyer never paid any attention to my first message despite replying to it with just one word, because around the same time, on the same day I found the item (three days later) I notified the buyer but  got no response...just a positive feedback with the word "ok".

I don't think there is a fair standard in place here, whatsoever. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Unfortunately, with something like 1.7 billion listings and millions of buyers and sellers, eBay is simply too big to start drawing distinctions among all the hundreds of variations of WHY something is marked out of stock and what the seller does about it - they just pretty much blunt instrument most of this.  On no site do I not get at least a mark on my record for cancellation. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I completely agree...at first I thought that was what it was, a "ghost listing" from re-list....and I explained that possibility to the buyer also....

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

I didnt say YOU rebought it BUT the Buyer did.

YOU canceled the 1st order and they rebought. 

Life isnt fair and eBays rules are IF a seller cancels for OOS the seller gets a ding on their account. 

Doesnt matter if it is found later or not. 

It has happened to all of us. I once had an item I sold months ago "reappear" and get sold. 

eBay knows about ghost listings but "ding" to my account. 

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

But there was no display of buyer unhappiness (that I know of or can see).  I even received positive feedback....I just was wondering if the buyer is who low rated me enough to receive the defect, or if it was automatically given through eBay due to cancellation.  I believe a buyer can issue a low rating for some parts of a transaction, in despite of the fact of leaving a positive feedback (green).   This has happened to me so infrequently, I honestly cannot recall of the top of my head how this defect rating system truly works.  I was under the impression that if the buyer leaves a positive feedback, despite the transaction being cancelled after payment, and if the buyer is refunded, eBay cannot issue a defect UNLESS the buyer ratings are less than the full star amount in certain areas of the transaction rating in feedback.  So in that sense, it is essentially a defect that is delivered by the buyer, not eBay.  .....But I may be incorrect about that....

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

It is not based on the buyers unhappiness. eBay automatically gives it for OOS cancelations. 

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@password9019 wrote:

But there was no display of buyer unhappiness (that I know of or can see).  I even received positive feedback....I just was wondering if the buyer is who low rated me enough to receive the defect, or if it was automatically given through eBay due to cancellation.  I believe a buyer can issue a low rating for some parts of a transaction, in despite of the fact of leaving a positive feedback (green).   This has happened to me so infrequently, I honestly cannot recall of the top of my head how this defect rating system truly works.  I was under the impression that if the buyer leaves a positive feedback, despite the transaction being cancelled after payment, and if the buyer is refunded, eBay cannot issue a defect UNLESS the buyer ratings are less than the full star amount in certain areas of the transaction rating in feedback.  So in that sense, it is essentially a defect that is delivered by the buyer, not eBay.  .....But I may be incorrect about that....

Don't overthink this - it's a pretty simple system.  If you cancel for out of stock, you get a defect - that's it.  The DSR stars have nothing to do with it, nor does positive feedback, message content or anything else.  It's a simple toggle function.  It is not a defect 'delivered' by the buyer, it's levied by eBay.  Since you rarely get one don't worry about it.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@password9019 wrote:

The defect had nothing to do with the buyer.

There are three reasons to cancel an order.

Buyer requested, problem with the buyers address and out of stock/damaged.

The first two don't affect your account, but the third one does and gives you a defect.

Have a great day.
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

I understand your point but why is eBay choosing to issue a cancellation defect, when it acknowledges the transaction ended in a way that involved no dispute?  That's my point.  I think the system should be improved to involve buyer-end user tools that enable a buyer to issue objection or appeal, to a cancelled transaction.  At least in cases of OOS.....I get it that the refund comes automatically to complete the cancellation, but with no communication to me from a buyer, and with no communication to eBay from the buyer (that I know of), this is not reasonable.  Especially after having had no defects in probably close to 5 years or more.  eBay scrubs negative feedback all the time, shields power sellers from even being able to receive negative feedback, but yet they can do this to a TRS who isn't a big seller?

It makes no sense.  It's not as if I took a buyer's money and deliberately refused to ship an item I had in my possession, which i just sold.  Out of stock means out of stock, and absent a buyer complaint or some kind of buyer-end user tool case initiation, this defect in this context is un-called for. 

Message 15 of 29
latest reply