cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers leaving Negs.

Why is eBay allowing scammers to leave negative feedback now. A scammer tried to get a freebie from me and failed so he left a completely untrue negative feedback.
I told him when he contacted me about an item to return the alleged damaged item for a full refund and he didn’t even try. eBay refused to remove it after trying 3 times to get them to do so. All they did was say what a fine job of replying I did to the bogus neg. . It makes no good business sense to allow bad Hombres to deliberately diminish good sellers potential sales.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Scammers leaving Negs.

I think the reply you left is worse the neg,

Did their item receive a week late?

How do you know it wasn't damaged when they received it?

If they were a new buyer, they might not of known how to contact you or start a return.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

One neg isn't going to impact your sales - it's not even a metric.

Not a great reply, though - I'll have to agree.  Arguing with the buyer in a feedback response is a dead-end. It's better to show future buyers how great your CS is.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I don't let them stand.  Meaning.  I ask ebay to remove them.  So far, it has work for me...

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Took a look at the neg. The buyer was matter-of-fact in his tone, did not resort to name-calling or veiled jabs. He outlined his concerns and it did not sound embellished. He sounds credible.

Your response immediately points out that he is a zero feedback buyer, as if that explains his untrustworthiness. Then you further call his veracity into question as if the “claim” has no merit, before finally just stooping to name-call. The overall tone is angry, defiant and defensive. Not the impression one wants to leave behind for future potential buyers to read. They are the audience that matters—not the disgruntled former buyer.

Things can happen in transit. New Old Stock doesn’t always perform and the lures were in sealed packages where they couldn't be easily tested. So i don’t think that it was unreasonable to suggest the items might be non-functioning. Not every buyer with an issue is a scammer.

When the buyer contacted you, only to be greeted with skepticism and disbelief that he was anything but a scammer after a 14.99 NOS freebie, then i am not surprised he “cut bait” (no pun intended) and didn’t bother returning the items, and instead aired his grievances in Feedback.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

If I go based on the feedback, the buyer made a very clear and concise complaint.

If I were to judge simply based off that who the "scammer" was, I'd say the seller was.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I totally agree with this. Yes, trying to call eBay too to see if they can help remove the unwarranted ones is my first option to try. This new policy by eBay where feedback sticks is not correct because of late we have been getting Neutrals and Negatives where if the customer would have used the eBay messaging system the problem would have been resolved. I think there is just some crazy things going on of late with buyers leaving negatives at free will and the funny part is they never reach out about the issue or even take advantage of the free returns. This does tell me that there is more to some of these than we are lead to believe.

If you are in the right, I would just reply to the feedback in a positive light and keep trying to work with the buyer to try and get that negative removed if possible. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Do you have an email where the negative extortion is mentioned? If yes, contact ebay on Facebook and ask them to read the email  and to remove the negative.   Do this ONLY if the email proves that buyer was trying to get a freebie or refund.  YOu would contact them by hitting the message button on the Ebay Facebook page. The information will be confidential.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Yeah right, I'm a scammer . 20 years of no neg feedback antiques and collectible selling. Good diagnosis 0 feedback Professor.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

He was directed to return them for a full undisputed refund. Sure he will make up stuff for feedback. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

He was initially directed to return for a full refund and did not. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@bottomlessattic wrote:

Like I said, if they are a new buyer, they might not know how to start a return.

You'd be surprised how many buyers, that's been here for years, don't know how to do a return.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

🥱I stand by what I said.

Buyers negative feedback doesn't come off as scammy. Your hostility makes me think you need to take a break.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@bottomlessattic wrote:

It's NOT about you. 

This is BUSINESS

It's NOT personal.

With that, all I can say is:

Good luck.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

The purpose of a Reply to a neg is not to change the buyer's mind, or to make him look bad.

It is to reassure future buyers that you are a calm professional who takes problems seriously.

My response might have been "Shipped  June  27. Rec'd July 4. Refused offer to refund on return. "

Message 15 of 15
latest reply