cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam?

Hello-

This is my first time using Ebay and I listed some Coach purses yesterday with the auction starting at $50. Within a few hours I received an offer for $100 with the following message: 

"I'm interested in buying your item as gift and i will make additional payment for the shipping because i want it ship to Virginia kindly accept my offer and get back to me to arrange for shipment .*phone number * thanks"

I was reading online that offering more is usually a scam but the buyer included their phone number as well which makes me think that it might not be. But then again, why would you give your phone number out on the internet?

Just wanted to reach out because I am not sure how to proceed. I am selling these items for my aunt so trying to make her the most $ possible but also don't want to be scammed. 

Thanks 🙂 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Scam?

Why not put a $100 buy it now price on it and she can buy it that way.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Yes they are trying to scam you.
As a new seller with a high value item all offers you receive will be from scammers.
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Why not put a $100 buy it now price on it and she can buy it that way.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Remove the $$$$ signs from your eyes, use your head, absolute scam.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I would do away with the auctions and best offers and list them as a BIN with immediate payment required.

Any offers you get will most likely be from scammers.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@masa105907 

Has the "buyer" asked you to purchase a couple of gift cards and stick them in the purse yet? And to mail it to another address because it's really a gift for their son who's in the Navy? Stationed in Erlanger, KY? 

And maybe stop and get a loaf of bread on the way to the post office and mail that along with it?

These scams never end.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

SCAM!!!

Decline the offer and add that person to your blocked buyers list. 

Never respond to anyone who offers your more money, asks to ship to a different address or gives you their phone number.  It's always a scam.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Thanks all for your replies! I declined it but received a new offer for even more $$ from a different person LOL. Definitely not fishy 😉 Now I know! 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

They want you to text them your email address, to avoid ebay, and then email you a totally fake payment.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Scam. Were I you, I would add the member to the bidder block list. I would not be surprised if the address was a freight-forwarding address out of the country (meaning not covered by seller protection).

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Think about it. You have 5 listings with BIN prices of $60. Does it make sense that anyone (other than a scammer) would offer more than that?
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@lagarto_electronico wrote:

Scam. Were I you, I would add the member to the bidder block list. I would not be surprised if the address was a freight-forwarding address out of the country (meaning not covered by seller protection).

I always was told a freight-forwarding company buyer is the BEST one to have. NO protection for the buyer after it goes out from the freight-forwarder.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@lagarto_electronico wrote:

I always was told a freight-forwarding company buyer is the BEST one to have. NO protection for the buyer after it goes out from the freight-forwarder.

Unfortunately that seems to be changing.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Hi   : )

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

It used to be that way, but we're now being told that just because it's being shipped to a reshipper address doesn't necessarily mean it's being reshipped.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply