cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales were great.............now they have totally disappeared!

Sales were great.............now they have totally disappeared!  Is anyone else having this problem?

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Sales were great.............now they have totally disappeared!

It’s uncomfortable to consider sales are a roller coaster when you rely on the income, admit customer tastes change, or to go back and re-examine one’s business model. But that’s what sellers who survive do.

Blaming EBay is easy, avoids responsibility for oneself, and gives permission to keep doing the same thing instead of changing ( hard work and can be scary).

Message 31 of 88
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Exactly.

Item popularity goes up and down. 

Vintage hot electric rollers were going for $250 each a number of years ago. Last time I looked they were selling... meh!

I could name all sorts of items that were hot but now they’re not.

Beanie Babies, Tickle Me Elmo, Hatchimals and Fingerlings, anyone?

Message 32 of 88
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

It’s uncomfortable to consider sales are a roller coaster when you rely on the income, admit customer tastes change, or to go back and re-examine one’s business model. But that’s what sellers who survive do.

Blaming EBay is easy, avoids responsibility for oneself, and gives permission to keep doing the same thing instead of changing ( hard work and can be scary).

It is quite true that the 'roller-coaster' effect is not a comforting idea of a viable business plan.  Blaming ebay is an easy way to pass the blame, however, it isn't any better to blame everything else under the sun, except ebay.  Historically speaking, ebay has been know to cause a 'disturbance in the force', so to speak, with regards to the listing/search of items and the functioning of the site, just to name a couple of things.

Re-evaluating one's business model, on a frequent basis, is advisable - changing it, without a solid reason or credible information to recommend a valid direction isn't, necessarily, advisable.  Neither discounting, nor entirely blaming, external causes or ebay 'foibles' is rational - both need be seriously considered.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 33 of 88
latest reply

I can explain it simply. Ebay quits propping up sales with discount codes and percentages off, after the holidays. The difference is like night and day. I'm starting to believe most of my high sales during holidays were due to Ebay discount promos.

Message 34 of 88
latest reply

I've put my store on vacation a few times over the last few years. I don't hide the listings, but I need the extra time to do taxes, inventory, etc.

I think what maybe happens is that the longer the store is on vacation, the more the search rankings drop in Cassini. So, there always appears to be a recovery period after the store comes off vacation again.

I have no way to verify this, but the same thing happens each time, even if the vacation setting is on at different times of the year. I put it on vacation, people keep buying, but sales gradually drop. By the time I take it off vacation, sales have dwindled to nothing and it takes a while for them to recover. My guess is that search engine rankings are lowered for stores that are on vacation and that the effect is cumulative over time.

Message 35 of 88
latest reply

Going on day 7 with no purchase. The only time I go this long is in July or August when sales are slow.  January has always been a good month for me. Maybe not as good as October and November but still strong. I called ebay at beginning of month because I went 5 days at that time. Within the hour I got a purchase...2 the next day...2 the day after...3 the next day. Then crickets...now I'm at day 7.  Called and complained again but didn't seem to do any good this time.:(

If you don't buy into all of their promotions...watch out. Pretty sure they are suppressing sales!!!!  

Message 36 of 88
latest reply

You were throttled. There are far too many sellers and not enough buyers on ebay so they have to throttle sellers. Nothing you can do about it. Hope ebay isn't your main source of income. In 4-5 months they may allow buyers to see you again, or maybe not.

Message 37 of 88
latest reply

"It usually  slows down after Christmas"

This is simply not true. I have a decade of data that shows January is usually just as good as December for me. People spending their christmas money and gift cards and buying stuff they wanted but did not get. Usually my January sales are about 95% of what my december sales are. This year I have sold 2 items in January.

Message 38 of 88
latest reply

"I don't think 800,000 workers in the gov shutdown affect 325,000,000 million people in the USA alone"

You are comparing apples to oranges. 325 million people don't work. Many of those are children, elderly, disabled, retired, etc. So you either need to compare 800,000 to the number of WORKING americans or you need to include all of those 800,000 people's kids, spouses, parents, dependents, etc.

A recent poll said 18% of Americans have said they are affected by the shutdown. That's almost 1 in 5. So, yes, almost a million people not having jobs affects way more than just themselves.

Message 39 of 88
latest reply

And blaming everyone else is easy for ebay as they don't have to look at what they did wrong or admit anything or change anything. It's weird how sooooooooooooo many people starting having trouble right around April 2018. Really strange. I mean, it not ebay's fault, you just told me that and you clearly know everything, so it must just be a really strange and weird coincidence that this occurred right when ebay made huge changes to search and catalog. I mean, the simplest and most straightforward and most logical reason would be ebay did something, but here in land of alternative facts, we might as well do a bunch of logic gymnastics and come up with that 90% of sellers all started doing stuff wrong at the same time. Yeah, that makes so much more sense.

Message 40 of 88
latest reply

I have 27,000  listings in 50+ categories  2018 was roughly the same as 2017 but tapered off as the year proceeded This 30 day cycle down 50% from last year so something is going on besides ebbs and flows

Message 41 of 88
latest reply

Yeah, it appears the only explanation when your Sales suddenly fall into a black hole is:   throttling or a blackout.  Literally an on and off switch has been applied.   When I do not hear the Cha Ching sound, my day (s) are miserable, in particular when there is nothing I can do about it!  

My checklist:

90% Promoted listings, check

Ongoing % off sale, check

Adding new listings, check

...........................................Only conclusion  Throttling and/or Blackout,   but Why!Smiley Sad

Message 42 of 88
latest reply

I do not understand the need for ebay to throttle.  Yes there are more sellers than buyers and a lot of duplicate items. So that would explain why items are not selling. 

Not everyone can be on page 1 either.  Your items are there.  They are not hidden.  Buyers are just not choosing to buy them.

Message 43 of 88
latest reply

Could it also be that the older generation is dying off or going into nursing homes and the younger generation is no longer into comic books.

Message 44 of 88
latest reply

Maybe they are updating website for a new shipping charges. Not sure if this affects anything.

Message 45 of 88
latest reply