cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales were great.............now they have totally disappeared!

Sales were great.............now they have totally disappeared!  Is anyone else having this problem?

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

I was on vacation for three weeks and even while I set my account to vacation mode with a 20 day handling time I got 27 purchases. I came back last week and turned my vacation settings off and changed my handling time back to one day. I have had one sale in the last 5 days. This has never happened before. 

Message 2 of 88
latest reply

Something is very wrong!

Message 3 of 88
latest reply

@getitright1234 wrote:

Sales were great.............now they have totally disappeared!  Is anyone else having this problem?

Every year after the holidays. 

Today I will not judge.

Message 4 of 88
latest reply

@buzzapparel wrote:

I was on vacation for three weeks and even while I set my account to vacation mode with a 20 day handling time I got 27 purchases. 

If no improvement, as a last resort, go back to vacation mode.

Message 5 of 88
latest reply

I always take ups and downs as part of the selling “numbers game”. Especially since I only tend to have 30-50 items up at any given time.

Assuming good pictures, effective titles, desirable merchandise, etc., it really matters what kind of a presence or footprint one has on the site.

How many total items on EBay? In that category? Your same or similar item?

Think of it this way: if you owned one single solitary candy bar at the store, how long before someone wandered down the aisle and bought it?

Now what if you owned all of that same bar? Would your odds be better?

What if you owned all the candy bars, no matter what type? What if you owned all the candy, period? And the cakes, pies, cookies and crackers too?

It’s important to remember that many of us are selling under the first scenario.

This is why it’s important to diversify also, although I rarely manage. It’s so much easier to stay in a niche.

But now let’s go back to that store....

How likely would an item of yours be to be purchased, if you owned a few things an every aisle vs. 10 items in a single section of one aisle?

20 or so items used to be a solid presence 15 years ago, and a store flew with 100 items. But total listings on the platform were a mere fraction of total listings today. 

20 - 100 listings now is like spitting in the ocean and expecting the tide to rise.

Message 6 of 88
latest reply

In 1997 EBay had 2,000,000 (2 million) items listed on any given day.

As of December 2018, there are 1,000,000,000 (1 billion) items on any given day.

That’s 50 times more.

Sloppily speaking (because it’s not really that simple), you’d need 1000 listings now to give you the same footprint that 20 items gave you in “the old days.”

Message 7 of 88
latest reply

It usually  slows down after Christmas.

Message 8 of 88
latest reply

I usually have a slow period before Christmas, and then sales roar back after Boxing Day.

But I haven't had a sale in four days, including on my non-eBay sites.

Things will change.

For one thing, I sell postage and postal rates have just changed.

Message 9 of 88
latest reply

Yes, add in other variables too - hot trends, popular item shortages, holidays, government shutdowns, recession, political uncertainties, can cause widespread changes in purchasing across various categories or even site wide.

Plus simple statistics - no one sells the same number of items every day or week or month. Numbers just don’t work that way.

It’s more mathematically sound to look at averages over longer periods of time.

Message 10 of 88
latest reply

@getitright1234 wrote:

Yes. Do I think something weird is afoot? No.

Message 11 of 88
latest reply

Just part of the natural ebb and flow of business here. Almost always a big slump after the holidays and then the next buying holiday event comes up like Valentines Day and your are off and running with the horses again. 

Message 12 of 88
latest reply

Huge weather events like the big bad storm coming across the west may cause some big hits.

Message 13 of 88
latest reply

800,000 fed workers plus contractors not getting paid might have something to do with it. We’ve stopped spending on anything except essentials until the govt shutdown ends.
Message 14 of 88
latest reply

8 days without a sale.  Here we go again.  I had 75% LESS sales this Holiday season, than last year.   Just like when the sales dropped off in April when they went to the Catalog.  Before April, I had sales almost every day!  If sales are so great, whey are they offering extra eBay Bucks and Coupons to buy stuff.  I can't buy anything on eBay if I am not selling anything on eBay!!!  Whatever eBay is doing IT IS NOT working!!! STOP MESSING UP OUR SALES!!!  GIVE US OUR SALES BACK!!!!!

Change the channel!
Message 15 of 88
latest reply