Did you mean: 

Sales tax . . . the problem has begun

SCOTUS  has ruled 

the problems will be enormous 

Message 1 of 284
latest reply
283 REPLIES 283

Re: Sales tax . . . the problem has begun

I know brad, the property tax on unsold inventory is the worst.

Message 166 of 284
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

@goodluckselling

So Amazon is collecting sales tax for your sales there to PA but Ebay is not? Curiouser and curiouser.

The answer is simply. There is a threshold below which you are not required to file.

Amazon is over the threshold, goodluckselling is not.

Message 167 of 284
latest reply

His PA sales on Amazon are being taxed but his sales on Ebay are not. 

If he sold on Etsy they would be as well, even though he and Etsy have no nexus there.

Message 168 of 284
latest reply

A few things to note:

If there ends up being a threshold of $200,000 OR 200 transactions, (200 is not a lot), sellers will probably stop selling cheaper items because you would want your 200 items to be substantial.   If you are selling 200 $10 items, that’s only 2,000 a year.  I don’t know about everyone else on here, but there is NO WAY I am going to the trouble of reporting sales tax to 1,000 jurisdictions off of $2,000 in sales- I would quit before that happens.  Also, Ebay would not DARE to tax your shipping, (I think that’s illegal), so say Goodbye to free shipping-  There’s  absolutely no benefit to offer free shipping because in theory if you are building your item selling price to include shipping then you are voluntaringly charging  sales tax on the shipping.

Message 169 of 284
latest reply

Whether or not shipping is taxed depends on the State. Some do not tax shipping. Some do. Some tax shipping under some circumstances but not others (like whether the sale is shipping included or shipping separate).

I suspect however they are taxing shipping will be the same before and after the changes go nationwide.

Message 170 of 284
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@fjbet13 wrote:

The seller does pay the sales tax the buyer does. However, the seller is responsible for collecting the sales tax from the buyer and remitting it to the taxing jurisdiction 

Yes, and ebay will have to figure this out, not sellers. Ebay will add it to the buyer's bill. Now how it will affect sellers is the big question. I don't believe ebay will be able to add it to the fvf on shipping because that would be double taxation. 

Possibly that would create a reserve fund that would  be revenue generating in and of itself.

Message 171 of 284
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@livadia wrote:

@1ezdeal wrote:

Amazon has to collect the taxes because they have a presence in every single state but ebay does not so that does not apply to ebay because ebay only has offices in 2 states

That was the way things *have* been @1ezdeal, but even before today's SCOTUS rulings, there have been states which passed their own Internet Sales Tax laws, including Washington (state) and Pennsylvania.  Those laws in effect said it didn't matter whether the seller had a physical presence in their state or not, any sales made via an *online marketplaces* to a consumer in their state were subject to sales tax.

Since January/April, both Etsy and Amazon have been collecting sales taxes on behalf of their sellers and remitting them to the proper authorities in WA/PA.  Etsy doesn't have any warehouses -- they're a selling platform just like eBay -- yet they were proactive and complied. 

eBay chose not to -- perhaps hoping the Supreme Court decision would make it unnecessary.  Doesn't appear that now will be the case given today's ruling so instead of getting a head-start on the issue like Amazon/Etsy, they're now going to have to play catch up.

If eBay took action early on and then this ruling did not play out as it has you would probably be the first one to say stupid eBay for jumping the gun.  Look what you have put your seller through all for nothing.

eBay is not behind on anything like you are suggesting.  It is just a court ruling. 

Before today's SCOTUS ruling there were already states that had passed Internet Sales Tax laws which went into effect earlier this year.  Both Etsy and Amazon were proactive and started collecting/remitting the required sales taxes on their sellers' behalf when the laws in those states took effect.   

You may defend eBay all you like, but two of their major competitors already have tackled the issue and refined the process.  Amazon/Etsy know what's involved and what it takes because they have been doing it.

eBay chose to take a "wait and see" attitude.   Sorry, comparatively speaking, that puts them behind.  Not only in terms of not getting out in front of an issue, but also in terms of the practical, in-the-trenches knowledge of implementing or managing such an enormous task.

As far as insinuating I would have found fault with eBay even if they complied with the new WA and PA Internet marketplace sales tax laws, also sorry to disappoint. 

Amazon's/Etsy's collection/remittance of any applicable taxes on their sellers' behalf to PA and WA has had zip, nada, zilch impact on individual sellers at either site as the marketplace does all the work.   They're doing all the work because the laws passed in those two states specify the marketplaces (not individual sellers) are the responsible party.   

If other laws come down the pike that don't have that sort of stipulation or are of an "either/or" variety AND eBay chooses to shove that responsibility off on individual sellers, then yes, you're darned right I'd be among the first to complain.    

But in the meantime, I implied or said no such thing, so please refrain from putting words in my mouth or accusing me of thoughts, actions, or opinions you have no knowledge of or right to ascribe.

Happy Selling!

Message 172 of 284
latest reply

@bradandamber wrote:

ebay will have to add the sales tax from what ever state your in to the purchase.  ebay IMO will suffer from this. The River Not so much. They can absorb any sales tax. ebay has no inovation. They may as well sell out now before they have to.

No, @bradandamber.    Why would eBay/Amazon be responsible for paying sales tax?  *They(* didn't buy the item -- the buyer did -- and that's who will pay more just as they do when they buy something locally.

Message 173 of 284
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@livadia wrote:

@1ezdeal wrote:

Amazon has to collect the taxes because they have a presence in every single state but ebay does not so that does not apply to ebay because ebay only has offices in 2 states

That was the way things *have* been @1ezdeal, but even before today's SCOTUS rulings, there have been states which passed their own Internet Sales Tax laws, including Washington (state) and Pennsylvania.  Those laws in effect said it didn't matter whether the seller had a physical presence in their state or not, any sales made via an *online marketplaces* to a consumer in their state were subject to sales tax.

Since January/April, both Etsy and Amazon have been collecting sales taxes on behalf of their sellers and remitting them to the proper authorities in WA/PA.  Etsy doesn't have any warehouses -- they're a selling platform just like eBay -- yet they were proactive and complied. 

eBay chose not to -- perhaps hoping the Supreme Court decision would make it unnecessary.  Doesn't appear that now will be the case given today's ruling so instead of getting a head-start on the issue like Amazon/Etsy, they're now going to have to play catch up.

If eBay took action early on and then this ruling did not play out as it has you would probably be the first one to say stupid eBay for jumping the gun.  Look what you have put your seller through all for nothing.

eBay is not behind on anything like you are suggesting.  It is just a court ruling. 

Before today's SCOTUS ruling there were already states that had passed Internet Sales Tax laws which went into effect earlier this year.  Both Etsy and Amazon were proactive and started collecting/remitting the required sales taxes on their sellers' behalf when the laws in those states took effect.   

You may defend eBay all you like, but two of their major competitors already have tackled the issue and refined the process.  Amazon/Etsy know what's involved and what it takes because they have been doing it.

eBay chose to take a "wait and see" attitude.   Sorry, comparatively speaking, that puts them behind.  Not only in terms of not getting out in front of an issue, but also in terms of the practical, in-the-trenches knowledge of implementing or managing such an enormous task.

As far as insinuating I would have found fault with eBay even if they complied with the new WA and PA Internet marketplace sales tax laws, also sorry to disappoint. 

Amazon's/Etsy's collection/remittance of any applicable taxes on their sellers' behalf to PA and WA has had zip, nada, zilch impact on individual sellers at either site as the marketplace does all the work.   They're doing all the work because the laws passed in those two states specify the marketplaces (not individual sellers) are the responsible party.   

If other laws come down the pike that don't have that sort of stipulation or are of an "either/or" variety AND eBay chooses to shove that responsibility off on individual sellers, then yes, you're darned right I'd be among the first to complain.    

But in the meantime, I implied or said no such thing, so please refrain from putting words in my mouth or accusing me of thoughts, actions, or opinions you have no knowledge of or right to ascribe.

Happy Selling!

I would like ebay to do same thing  as etsy  does handling the sale tax.     ebay agreed to collect  GTS  Tax  for Australia   ATO .

Message 174 of 284
latest reply

to the people who are saying this won't hurt sales I truly believe you are dead wrong. 

People do come to eBay to avoid sales tax on new items. I personally purchased an iPad on eBay (brand new from the daily deals section) because they had it for the same price as apple/best buy/target  etc... I purchased it on eBay because I saved $30 on tax. If I wasn't saving any money, I would have driven 5 minutes up the street to purchase it from target. 

Message 175 of 284
latest reply

No, @bradandamber.    Why would eBay/Amazon be responsible for paying sales tax?  *They(* didn't buy the item -- the buyer did -- and that's who will pay more just as they do when they buy something locally.

I disagree.  If eBay is going to follow Amazon and become the payment intermediate between buyers and sellers, then they should be responsible for collecting and dispersing the applicable sales tax.  When Ayden starts taking the payments, buyers will begin to pay eBay directly for purchases, not us.  We will no longer be paid directly via Paypal and have instant access to that cash.  That means technically eBay is going to be the merchant, no longer us as individuals.  It makes me wonder that eBay must have known in advance this ruling was going to happen and did plan in advance with Ayden taking over payments.

Message 176 of 284
latest reply

I do have Prime, and they do charge me sales tax. But I live in the state of Washington, so maybe that has something to do with it? 

Message 177 of 284
latest reply

Very good Point. I include my Ebay sales on my taxes, though I don't really pay much out with deductions. However, there are some sellers who look at Ebay as having a large gararge sale. So would not surprise me if some do not disclose Ebay sales on taxes. 

Message 178 of 284
latest reply

Whether or not shipping is taxed depends on the State. Some do not tax shipping. Some do. Some tax shipping under some circumstances but not others (like whether the sale is shipping included or shipping separate).

I suspect however they are taxing shipping will be the same before and after the changes go nationwide.

MS charges tax on the shipping amount. Tax is paid on the total cost, item plus shipping.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 179 of 284
latest reply

spot on.... they will make many of us go on welfare or the dole because they keep making  it harder and harder to make a living.  (i so agree on the international sales. they jacked postage up so dam hi i lost 60 percent of my business almost over night)  the sick part is that china can send a 2 dollar item to us with free shipping  and it is subsidized by the government.  (thats not the sick part.....its "whos" goverment is doing the subsidizing.....not china, its THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT!!!!   i mean **bleep**!!!!

Message 180 of 284
latest reply