Sales tax . . . the problem has begun

SCOTUS  has ruled 

the problems will be enormous 

Message 1 of 284
latest reply
283 REPLIES 283

Re: Sales tax . . . the problem has begun

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

All I can tell you is that Etsy is already processing sales tax in PA and WA. They have far smarter lawyers than I have. I think if there was an easier alternative they would not already be doing this.

https://blog.taxjar.com/etsy-washington-sales-tax/

Etsy has no nexus in WA as far as I know.

Not unless Brooklyn has upped sticks and moved to the west coast @the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth   😉

Message 151 of 284
latest reply

Thank you, cooler heads can prevail.
Any chance sellers can opt into “States I Don’t Ship To”?
Message 152 of 284
latest reply

@1ezdeal wrote:

No sorry this is the new law, the old law was change to this new law were you wont be required to pay sales taxes to a state if you dont go over $100,00 or 200 items limit, please read the ruling.

You said it yourself; this is a ruling from the Supreme Court.  Only Congress (or a state's legislature) can pass a law.  The Supreme Court can declare an existing law, or an order created by a president, to be unconstitutional.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 153 of 284
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@1ezdeal wrote:

Amazon has to collect the taxes because they have a presence in every single state but ebay does not so that does not apply to ebay because ebay only has offices in 2 states

That was the way things *have* been @1ezdeal, but even before today's SCOTUS rulings, there have been states which passed their own Internet Sales Tax laws, including Washington (state) and Pennsylvania.  Those laws in effect said it didn't matter whether the seller had a physical presence in their state or not, any sales made via an *online marketplaces* to a consumer in their state were subject to sales tax.

Since January/April, both Etsy and Amazon have been collecting sales taxes on behalf of their sellers and remitting them to the proper authorities in WA/PA.  Etsy doesn't have any warehouses -- they're a selling platform just like eBay -- yet they were proactive and complied. 

eBay chose not to -- perhaps hoping the Supreme Court decision would make it unnecessary.  Doesn't appear that now will be the case given today's ruling so instead of getting a head-start on the issue like Amazon/Etsy, they're now going to have to play catch up.

eBay is not behind on anything like you are suggesting.  It is just a court ruling. 

There are no laws that have been passed yet.  eBay also has kept its users up to date with there current position, actions they are taking including lobbying group in Washington and having working relationships with congress on many levels, or experts in this field working on committee's trying to find solutions.  So although you might want to turn this into a failure it is quite the opposite.

If eBay took action early on and then this ruling did not play out as it has you would probably be the first one to say stupid eBay for jumping the gun.  Look what you have put your seller through all for nothing.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 154 of 284
latest reply

@1stufftobuy wrote:
Thank you, cooler heads can prevail.
Any chance sellers can opt into “States I Don’t Ship To”?

eBay does not have a filter like you are requesting.

Good Luck selling!

Message 155 of 284
latest reply

Besides they're all going to start charging sales tax outside their borders except the States that don't have sales tax. are you going to stop doing business in 45 out of 50 states?

Message 156 of 284
latest reply

the*dog - I'm giving up on this one; can't read any more hysteria. 

Since I can't remember - for at least 10 years - North Carolina has collected a "Use Tax" on its state income tax returns for purchases the filer made out of state.  Meaning, how much would NC have collected if the filer bought items in NC only.   You could put -0- on the line if you never left the state or ordered anything on line, but you would create a whole heap of trouble for yourself if you didn't pay some token amount.

I've always wondered how that tax (VA has it, too) was legal but as far as I know it wasn't challenged to the highest levels.  

As far as people saying "double taxation", that applies to just about anything.  My children will have to pay tax on the $2.43 I'll have left to leave them, even though I already paid income tax on it.

By the time laws get passed and this gets sorted out, I won't be on ebay to worry about it. 

I just sold one of my super expensive items (get this - the buyer lives 20 miles away and paid a heck of a lot of state tax) so that's one down and just a few to go.   

The thought of ebay programming this (maybe they can hire someone away from Amazon?) would be laughable if it wasn't so scary.

I'm leaving the country (not in SCOTUS protest, lol) for an island, mon, and about all I'm going to worry about at my old age is how many times the twin terrors are going to make me go down the water slide with them.   

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 157 of 284
latest reply

That is 10k if the facilitator has a presence in the state, in this case ebay does not have a presence in PA

Message 158 of 284
latest reply

Ebay was not required to collect sales taxes in those 2 states because they do not have a presence there so they were not obligated to do so, now the new ruling will only afect sellers if the seller has over $100,000 in sales or 200 transactions on those states and trust 99.9% of sellers here on ebay do not meet that requirement 

Message 159 of 284
latest reply

Well said, and yes it the ruling clearly stated that other states will have to fallow SD system or they will face litigation and penalties 

Message 160 of 284
latest reply

@1ezdeal wrote:

Ebay was not required to collect sales taxes in those 2 states because they do not have a presence there so they were not obligated to do so, now the new ruling will only afect sellers if the seller has over $100,000 in sales or 200 transactions on those states and trust 99.9% of sellers here on ebay do not meet that requirement 

Read the state law. WA and PA do not require nexus (physical presence). Etsy complied (they do not have physical presence), Ebay did not because they have spaghetti code and were not capable of implementing. 

Message 161 of 284
latest reply

ebay will have to add the sales tax from what ever state your in to the purchase.  ebay IMO will suffer from this. The River Not so much. They can absorb any sales tax. ebay has no inovation. They may as well sell out now before they have to.

Message 162 of 284
latest reply

Tell me someting Taxachussetts doesnt tax. Please dont tell them you breathe or you will be paying a carbon emmisions tax

Message 164 of 284
latest reply

I read that. It doesn't address the marketplace question though. What it does is establish that States can force companies without a nexus to collect sales tax. I don't see how that stops States from charging marketplaces.

It makes no sense that they would exempt Ebay.

Message 165 of 284
latest reply