cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales coming to a halt this September !

Anyone else currently experience a sudden sales drop off?? I was selling 5 to 7 items a day with only 50 to 60 listings and now I’m selling zero with 130 listings. Did eBay change their algorithm? What is going on? Why are sales coming to a halt?? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Sales coming to a halt this September !

I started to notice decline in sales last year now I am down to zero sales.  I list, generally. in the antiques an collectibles categories.  I think those who say eBay is not in love with these items are correct in assuming eBay is not providing any helpful listing suggestions.   I am about to cancel my store and all listings.  I have had upwards of 200 items listed and no sales.  This used to be fun but not any more.  I used to be enthusiastic about shopping and selling but I believe eBay is out to "kill off" vendors like me.  I have been here since 2001 and now I am extremely disgusted.    I am going to try and sell all my inventory in one lump (something I do not relish).  If you are interested contact me to discuss.  I have two 10 x 10 rooms (1 in New York State and 1 in Arizona).

Message 61 of 69
latest reply

I feel for you, I once had a $6,000 piece of art and put it out for $4,000 or best offer. Some guy offered me $100.00 - my reply was sir what kind of medication you on today ? lol

Message 62 of 69
latest reply

@dickiedoo14001 wrote:

I started to notice decline in sales last year now I am down to zero sales.  I list, generally. in the antiques an collectibles categories.  I think those who say eBay is not in love with these items are correct in assuming eBay is not providing any helpful listing suggestions.   I am about to cancel my store and all listings.  I have had upwards of 200 items listed and no sales.  This used to be fun but not any more.  I used to be enthusiastic about shopping and selling but I believe eBay is out to "kill off" vendors like me.  I have been here since 2001 and now I am extremely disgusted.    I am going to try and sell all my inventory in one lump (something I do not relish).  If you are interested contact me to discuss.  I have two 10 x 10 rooms (1 in New York State and 1 in Arizona).

I think that's less eBay and more that buyer tastes are changing.  I'm 35 and I don't know a single person my age or younger who has any interest in buying antiques or collectibles.  In fact, most of my friends who have inherited that type of thing have immediately donated them because they simply don't have the space and don't want them.  When I go to the local rummage sales, the tables of glassware and china go untouched-- everyone is interested in buying the kitchen gadgets and small appliances, the toys, the clothes, the CDs/DVDs/books, etc.

I work B&M retail in a chain store that sells a wide variety of products and I would say that probably 80% of the people who come through our doors every day are under the age of 50.  If what you're selling doesn't appeal to the under 50 crowd, then your sales are going to be declining simply because demographics are shifting.

Message 63 of 69
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

buyer tastes are changing ? No More Like Ebay is changing . I don't by for a minute everyone that Buys Collectable just stopped collecting.. This Started in Sept . I get 6 sales a month Now with over 200 listing.. Right at 6 every month.... I was getting a sale a day.. Now Just 6 a month..... 

Message 64 of 69
latest reply

I think there are just too many other places to buy & sell online and through mobile apps, plus new ones are popping up all the time.  Ebay is just one of many marketplaces now, unfortunately. 

Message 65 of 69
latest reply

Yes! Was encouraged with a constant flow of sales up until 3 weeks ago, only one, I’m baffled and discouraged.

Message 66 of 69
latest reply

Thread from September - LAST year?
Message 67 of 69
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay for 9 years, and am constantly striving to keep sales up. At times, I have been able to support myself from eBay, but most of the time not. I have had a good September, but I believe it is because of the adjustments I have made. From my experience the eBay shopper has changed, their mindset has changed, so I have had to change as well. A few years ago I could easily get a few hundred dollars for a high end designer item, now, not so much. I have stopped selling what people can buy on Amazon, as I cannot compete with their pricing. I have become more niche, and have found people are more interested in the unusual. I used to sell football jerseys and such, and dresses I imported from China. I no longer sell these items, as a $6 profit on an item I can sell one or two of a week is not worth it for me. These days I search for more unique items to sell. Collectables and antiques died a few years ago, so I do not invest in many these days.  I do very well on clothing, vintage and jewelry. I sell way more vintage on eBay than on Etsy. I tried the "free shipping free returns" thing, but after losing money on a few returns I saw that it was not my business model, that sort of thing is tailored to a big box Amazon type seller. Anyways, here are a few of the things I do now that helps: 1. If an item should sell and doesn't, I re-photo it and change the description. I bought a new camera and backdrop so my photos look super professional, and tidy. This has made a big difference on the hits.  2. I have changed most of my titles as the algorithm needs very specific title listings - this has helped a lot. I never include words like gorgeous, or beautiful, or mint, like I used to. Just a straight title. 3.  I lowered my prices - my prices are 20-30% lower than the last few years, and it helps sales. I just figure out the price with good profit before I invest in an item. 4. ALL listings have "best offer" on them without restrictions. This gives me the chance to talk to the prospective buyer and make more sales. 5. I used to charge a bit extra on shipping, I no longer do. The buyers don't want to pay for shipping, so I charge an acceptable amount for it. The buyers have a lot of choice these days, so the listings and pricing have to be excellent. There's more, but I hope the aforementioned helps. 

Message 68 of 69
latest reply

I have the same problem, as of Sept 2019, my sales went from 10 to 15 sales a week to 2 or 3 or sometimes , nothing. Since most of items sell in the $100 to $500 range, I think reason might be ebay's new automatic collection sales tax on all sales.  When I do searches, I still see my items coming up , and my prices are always lower then my competitors, so this added sales tax is the only thing I can think of causing people not to buy on ebay.

Message 69 of 69
latest reply