cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales are so slow, what's going on??

I know this is probably covered elsewhere, but my sales are really slow. I don't remember it ever being so slow. I know my stuff isn't for everybody, but I used to at least have more views, watchers, activity. It's starting to feel like a dead mall. I'm really stressed about it. 

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Sales are so slow, what's going on??

I have tried sales,30 returns,free shipping nothing helping. I also quit my job and was making most days at least $100.00 or more on eBay. now doing good to make $20.00 a day. Sinking fast also looking for a job but not much here in this small town. I am at a loss and cannot understand how it seems overnight everything just ended and can't get an answer from eBay to what the problem is.

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

@tams_one_stop wrote:

I have tried sales,30 returns,free shipping nothing helping. I also quit my job and was making most days at least $100.00 or more on eBay. now doing good to make $20.00 a day. Sinking fast also looking for a job but not much here in this small town. I am at a loss and cannot understand how it seems overnight everything just ended and can't get an answer from eBay to what the problem is.

• ebay doesn't owe you a living.
  • ebay isn't going to give you answers.
  • you do have to check Search to see how your items are showing up relative to competitors. 
  • check what competitors are selling and how many have sold at what price over what period of time.
  • ebay buyer search is known to have bugs.  check it every day. 
  • sell something else.
Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 33 of 52
latest reply

HI My are good. Its been a great season so far.

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

@deserttiels wrote:

Really slow, no sales for 5 days.  I have an etsy store, with a smattering of items, vintage stuff (I list different things than are on my eBay).  That is even slower.  But when I get a sale, I get more money on Etsy because the fees are so low.  Vintage Christmas stuff can be crazy good on Etsy.  I think I may beef up my inventory on Etsy while eBay is "evolving".   I checked ThredUp, but there is really no money there for second hand clothes sellers.  There are other auction sites, but eBay traditionally has the widest audience.  Amazon is just not doable for one-of-kind things that I deal in.  I've moved some of my clothing inventory over to my next yard sale.  If I can get $5 each with no hassles, it is worth it to get some cash flow.  I'm planning to reduce my eBay inventory by the end of the month.  The FVF on ended unsold items sounds like a danger point and so my summer stuff needs to come down sooner.  I don't know where eBay will bury this post, but I like reading other people's coping strategies.  Please share what is working for you.  

What are you talking about?  You have me a little worried?  Since when did ebay say they were going to charge FVF on unsold items?

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

I was reading on the community pages that one strategy that eBay is contemplating to fight off-site sales is to monitor communications and if a seller gets a question from a buyer and then unlists the item, eBay may charge a FVF on it, assuming that the seller sold it outside eBay.  As far as I can tell, this is not happening yet, and when I went back to find that discussion, I can't locate it.  There were people musing that this isn't legal, but as with everything else, what power do we have?  So I guess this is a rumor, and I am sorry to have passed it along without first hand knowledge.  If anyone else can find the facts on this please reply.

Message 36 of 52
latest reply

@deserttiels wrote:

I was reading on the community pages that one strategy that eBay is contemplating to fight off-site sales is to monitor communications and if a seller gets a question from a buyer and then unlists the item, eBay may charge a FVF on it, assuming that the seller sold it outside eBay.  As far as I can tell, this is not happening yet, and when I went back to find that discussion, I can't locate it.  There were people musing that this isn't legal, but as with everything else, what power do we have?  So I guess this is a rumor, and I am sorry to have passed it along without first hand knowledge.  If anyone else can find the facts on this please reply.

I read the same as a new policy from eBay.  Not as a rumor.  Maybe in the Fall Update.  Someone will have a link to the new policy.

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

@autopartspuller wrote:

@deserttiels wrote:

Really slow, no sales for 5 days.  I have an etsy store, with a smattering of items, vintage stuff (I list different things than are on my eBay).  That is even slower.  But when I get a sale, I get more money on Etsy because the fees are so low.  Vintage Christmas stuff can be crazy good on Etsy.  I think I may beef up my inventory on Etsy while eBay is "evolving".   I checked ThredUp, but there is really no money there for second hand clothes sellers.  There are other auction sites, but eBay traditionally has the widest audience.  Amazon is just not doable for one-of-kind things that I deal in.  I've moved some of my clothing inventory over to my next yard sale.  If I can get $5 each with no hassles, it is worth it to get some cash flow.  I'm planning to reduce my eBay inventory by the end of the month.  The FVF on ended unsold items sounds like a danger point and so my summer stuff needs to come down sooner.  I don't know where eBay will bury this post, but I like reading other people's coping strategies.  Please share what is working for you.  

What are you talking about?  You have me a little worried?  Since when did ebay say they were going to charge FVF on unsold items?

Sounds like someone read the new policy (see above) and then badly paraphrased it.    We're playing telephone here.

Message 38 of 52
latest reply

No, we did get the emails as you say regarding if items are removed without an actual sale, we would still be charged a fee because the introduced the customer.... 😖
Message 39 of 52
latest reply

I don’t know if all people on here are already registered as a business? But I was recently contacted by eBay told I had to register my account as a business or they’d close my account. 

I wasn’t happy about it, but couldn’t afford to lose my business. 

I changed to a business account, then I had to revise all my listings, but when revising them to have a return policy I then had to revise my photos, my EAN? Whatever that is...also some other parts of specifactions, as my items are created by ME I didn’t have any different details.

I then found my sales dropped by more than 50%...I’ve phoned eBay 3 or 4 times now, last time was to speak to someone who deals with sales, who actually lifted a restriction of selling on my account  😡 it’s not quite back to normal but running steady. 

Why they can’t leave things alone that are working beats me!

Message 40 of 52
latest reply

@cutncraftuk wrote:
No, we did get the emails as you say regarding if items are removed without an actual sale, we would still be charged a fee because the introduced the customer.... 😖

Only if you or a buyer pass contact info in a message.

Message 41 of 52
latest reply

@cutncraftuk wrote:

I don’t know if all people on here are already registered as a business? But I was recently contacted by eBay told I had to register my account as a business or they’d close my account. 

I wasn’t happy about it, but couldn’t afford to lose my business. 

I changed to a business account, then I had to revise all my listings, but when revising them to have a return policy I then had to revise my photos, my EAN? Whatever that is...also some other parts of specifactions, as my items are created by ME I didn’t have any different details.

I then found my sales dropped by more than 50%...I’ve phoned eBay 3 or phone times now, last time was to speak to someone who deals with sales, who actually lifted a restriction of selling on my account  😡 it’s not quite back to normal but running steady. 

Whi they can’t leave things alone that are working beats me!

You’re posting in the USA forum. The USA and UK sites don’t have identical policies.

Message 42 of 52
latest reply

Messages from a seller with contact details don’t get through, or at least mine don’t.
I now use likes of Facebook, Etsy & instagram to promote & sell. eBay don’t seem to look after the sellers as they used too.
Message 43 of 52
latest reply

This year has been tough for me too September was bad only sold one item made barely made enough money to cover my store fee,s
Message 44 of 52
latest reply

There are probably many factors involved in many of the "where are all the sales" threads I see regularly. I don't believe it is an Ebay specific issue, as I sell at a swap meet and the crowds have dwindled there over the years. One aspect that is unique selling in that manner is the ability to talk with dealers and buyers. Here are the reasons I see why sales are dropping:

1- More sellers. All of these reality shows have convinced a large number of people that the atic full of stuff is valuable, the trash...erm I mean treasures in storage auctions are going to buy you that mansion, etc. So more people are selling. This is resulting in a flood of "treasures".

2- More venues to sell on. Between the river, the craft site that does vintage now to the more local areas (Craigsplace, Fakebook, various apps) that slowly over the years once dominant sites like here have seen their customer base drop as others began shopping more conveniently elsewhere.

3- The hostile environment. I dabbled in selling here, and understand what it is like to be the target of scammers, which is why I only dabbled. But having said that, some sellers attitudes here are over the top, believing that the most innocent question or honest feedback is an attempt of a buyer to scam. Honestly, if you reach that point as a seller, you probably should do what I did and move on to selling in another manner. I read so much here of BBL, but for one who shops regualrly here I will tell you Ebay also needs a BSL as well, as mine has grown unmanageable. Do any of the sellers know they are on it? Nope. Isn't worth my time to mess with the drama. Shake the dust off and move on. But know these can affect you. Case in point, I used to deal with the old Atari games. After about my fifth lot of "tested' cartridges where half didn't work, I don't buy them here now. if you sell them here, won't be my money buying them.

4- Every year, more people who want vintage items for the nostalgia feeling are dying off or moving to a retirement income that no lonmger affords the same spending they had while working. Exoect this trend to grow over the years as it is my experience less and less younger people care for vintage/antiques, nor do many of the immigrants coming here.

I could go on, but the point i am making is I expect to see these same posts five years from now referring to the good old days when sales were to be had, referring to this moment right now.

Message 45 of 52
latest reply