cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Reported to IRS

Is Ebay going to report  sales income to the IRS? I have heard that anything over $600.00 would be reported and the sellers will get a income form to add to their yearly income taxes. Does anyone know about this or is it just hear say?

Message 1 of 120
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sales Reported to IRS

The general rule was always a seller's sales total was double their feedback score.  I don't know if that has changed.  Granted it's a 20 year old account but it appears sales are healthy.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 20 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Where have you been????

Message 2 of 120
latest reply

First I've heard of it, if you don't include the dozens of threads on this exact topic on this Board. And the recent ebay announcement about it. Not to mention the many discussions about it elsewhere.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/New-1099-K-tax-reporting-requirements/ba-p/32556521

Message 3 of 120
latest reply

@mysterytree wrote:

Is Ebay going to report  sales income to the IRS? I have heard that anything over $600.00 would be reported and the sellers will get a income form to add to their yearly income taxes. Does anyone know about this or is it just hear say?

You’ve been reporting your income from eBay sales every year, right? Not doing so is tax evasion.

Message 5 of 120
latest reply

You will do your taxes the same way you've been doing them all along. No change.

Message 6 of 120
latest reply

Thank you.  I am a casual seller . Just selling items from my home/garage sales and WAY under  $20,000 in sales.

Message 7 of 120
latest reply

How can this be fixed? Is Ebay working on this?  They will be losing a lot of sellers over this.

Message 8 of 120
latest reply

Sure will. It's not an eBay issue, it's a US Government issue signed into law by the current president in March of 2021.

Message 9 of 120
latest reply

What you have heard is correct.

Message 10 of 120
latest reply

Are you saying you haven't been filing income tax on these sales because you don't hit 200/20k?  From a glance at your items,  they look like thrift store type finds bought and sold for profit.  Is that what they are?  If so then you are clearly running a business.  If you didn't file income tax at all the statue of limitations is forever.  If you under reported it's 6 years I believe.  Got receipts?   

Message 11 of 120
latest reply

@mysterytree wrote:

How can this be fixed? Is Ebay working on this?  They will be losing a lot of sellers over this.

What is there to fix?   Reporting ebay sales on income tax filings has always been required. 

Message 12 of 120
latest reply

@wildpitchsports wrote:

Sure will. It's not an eBay issue, it's a US Government issue signed into law by the current president in March of 2021.

You say this in a way to insinuate that reporting your ebay sales on your income tax filing wasn't required prior to this year and this administration.   You also post that it has been required all along, so why do you are try to have it both ways in your posts?

Message 13 of 120
latest reply

@mysterytree wrote:

Thank you.  I am a casual seller . Just selling items from my home/garage sales and WAY under  $20,000 in sales.

3,000+ seller feedback. Another one with a garage the size of an airplane hangar.

No one believes you’ve sold thousands of things lying around in your garage.

Message 14 of 120
latest reply

You should have been reporting your eBay sales as income all along.  The only thing that has changed is the dollar amount that triggers a form to the seller and the IRS. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 120
latest reply