cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHIP or CANCEL?

Item: $5

Shipping: $5 for the first pack. $3 each additional.

Tax: 47 cents

Total: $10.47

The customer buys one.

The customer lives in Hawaii, on my island, 2 towns away.

The customer messages me "$11 to ship this from Ewa Beach to Waianae?"

What would you do?

A) Ship it?

B) Contact him and explain/justify the charges? 

C) Cancel "customer requested"?

D) Cancel "problem with address"?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

SHIP or CANCEL?

Wow, he seems confused.  It's $5 to ship from Ewa Beach to Waianae, not $11.  I would explain this and then ask if he wants to cancel.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

HI!  Do you pay for shipping? Could you change it to pick up & maybe meet them if not to far away?

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

Not sure I'd do that for a $5 sale. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

I allowed local pick ups for a while but stopped doing them. 

Too many "flakes". They say they'll be there but never show or are an hour late

or my favorite one ... they owe $27 and say "i've only got $25 on me".

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

Given everything you've just posted, I'd cancel the sale.  I know the types who show up locally, don't have all the money, can  I owe you the rest?,  pay you in rolls of pennies, etc.  Not worth the hassle. 

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

If they have paid you by all means ship it.  The eBay shipping calculator on occasion does a poor job of calculating the shipping costs if you are using calculated shipping. I have had a number of cases where after packing and printing out the actual label there have been significant differences in what eBay presented to the buyer as the shipping cost and what it actually cost me to ship. In these cases I have worked with the buyer and let them know I would be issuing a shipping discount refund. 

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

I'd respond and pleasantly explain that the postal system charges what they charge (it's out of your control) and give them the option to cancel the sale or ship it. 

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

Something really strange about the eBay shipping calculations on this one. Not sure which item it was that the buyer purchased but I took a look at several of your active listings and the highest shipping cost I saw for any of the items was $8 from Hawaii to Virginia. Strange 

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

You have his address, drive over and leave on the front porch and includes box of macadamia nuts.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

Quick note to break down the charges and ship it.

You don't have to wait for a buyer response.  

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

$11 shipping so have to assume they purchased 3 of these $5 things. Total sale $15 plus $11 shipping. Does 3 of these things weigh over 16oz and now force you to ship Priority vs 1st Class? 

If so, I'd explain it to them. I do it all the time since many of my items weigh under 16oz (I charge $5) but put 2 different items together and they weigh over 16oz, so now has to go Priority for $8 to $12 (so they get no refund)

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

@inhawaii wrote:

Item: $5

Shipping: $5 for the first pack. $3 each additional.

Tax: 47 cents

Total: $10.47

The customer buys one.

The customer lives in Hawaii, on my island, 2 towns away.

The customer messages me "$11 to ship this from Ewa Beach to Waianae?"

What would you do?

A) Ship it?

B) Contact him and explain/justify the charges? 

C) Cancel "customer requested"?

D) Cancel "problem with address"?

Reply to message:
Dear Buyer,

$5 item, $5 shipping, $0.47 Tax, Total $10.47

Thank you kindly,

Your seller

Then ship it, not worth fussing over such small dollar item.

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

@zip-a-deedoodah 

Have you seen the price of macadamia nuts these days? As a kid we had a tree in our backyard.  Even in Hawaii they're expensive.  Gotta say I miss that tree.  😁

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

SHIP or CANCEL?

Tell the buyer that since he lives only 2 towns away from you, that AFTER he pays, you will be glad to deliver it in person, and totally refund the shipping part of the transaction.

You have his address. When the buyer pays... Get in your car, drive it over to him, drop it off and shake hands, THEN go home and refund the shipping.

I believe this comes under the heading of good customer service, and you won't be out much except for figuratively a few pennies (even with the current rise in gas prices). You'll also make a customer happy and reduce the chances of a neutral or negative FB.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 15 of 38
latest reply