cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing SSN with EIN on business account -- can it be done?

Way back, when I started my business account in 2014 (I'm a sole proprietor), I had my SSN registered with my eBay account.  In 2020, I had the IRS issue me an EIN which I've been using ever since instead of my SSN for filing my business taxes.  Up until 2022, my eBay sales have always fallen just under the threshold for generating a 1099-K.  Although my sales income does funnel into my business bank account, so I do report all my eBay sales, it just doesn't trigger the 1099-K from eBay.  Recently I got an email from my credit card processor saying that in the past 3 years, the IRS has kicked their 1099-K back to them for me saying the details don't match.  I soon realized that I had started using them before I had the EIN, and that was the discrepancy, so I updated my processor account with my EIN.  I now started thinking about my business account with eBay and that it still had the SSN associated with it, and that under the new lower reporting thresholds, eBay will be generating a 1099-K for the 2023 tax year, so I need to update my details and replace my SSN with my EIN.  Well, so far that seems to be impossible.  I tried to do it through the personal details section of my account, but it's gray'd out and can't be edited.  I then called an eBay support rep and spent 36 minutes on the phone while they unlocked the government ID section of my account, but I still can't edit it.  I logged off and back on; I cleared my browser's cache; I even tried logging in from a completely fresh browser -- one that I had never used to access eBay in the past and it still won't let me change the info.  The rep opened a support ticket for this and is supposed to follow up with me tomorrow.

My question for others -- has this ever happened to you?  Have you been able to change your SSN to an EIN, and what hoops did you have to jump through to do it?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

There are a number of postings on this forum about the 1099, EIN, LLC's and some current problems with the 1099's that you may want to check. While I have not gone through this change I do know that once your account type is setup with your SSN and/or EIN they are fields you do not have the ability to change and requires eBay assistance to do so. 

The eBay customer support is pretty much useless these days and they seldom have the ability to change anything and will tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone. Use the Facebook connection to make contact with eBay. These individuals have the power and authority to make changes/corrections or to resolve issues in some cases. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If you have an ebay business account your can update your EIN in the Business Details section by clicking edit to the right.  Note that your SSN must remain further down in your Personal information.  Do you not see the edit button?

Also note, that even with an EIN on the account, ebay is still issuing 1099's with the SSN, which is a problem if you file as a corporation, and still a bit of a pain as a sole proprietor.  This issue is currently being looked into.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I just checked, the edit button is still there and working to update either EIN or SSN.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I have had trouble with this too.  Sole Prop, changed to an EIN a few years ago.  Get converted to MP, everything is fine for about a year.  Suddenly get the red banner of death warning me my payments may stop, but they don't stop.  I have that banner for 9-10 mos with no issues.  Call eBay 4x during this & can't get any real help.   I check & double check all the data (which is correct anyway), re-enter it, even though it's correct, etc.  Then I get an email they are gonna stop my payouts, which they do (even though I've had the banner for basically a year).  Call again, get a dedicated rep who digs deep & basically problem is a mismatch with my EIN (gee, you'd think the messaging system could tell me that), but my EIN is correct & always has been. 

Long story short, I had to switch it back to my SSN & then everything worked fine & my payouts resumed.  This all went down about 1-1/2 years ago.   Still frustrated about it b/c the whole point of me getting an EIN was to use for eBay.   

Worse, even if I'd been able to keep my EIN on the account, they apparently didn't use them to create the 1099's this year 😞  It's like they have an aversion to EINs. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I just checked, the edit button is still there and working to update either EIN or SSN.

Yes I also have the button but I cannot change it and I don't have a business account so I don't have the EIN button/field. If I attempt to change my SSN I get the following. 

dbfolks166mt_2-1675808033885.png

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Yes, to clarify, on both my personal and business accounts you can not edit the SSN number in the personal section.  However, on the business account in the business details section you can edit and use either a SSN or an EIN number and save it.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I don't have any such button on mine.  Under Business details, I only have Business name, Business type, Business address and then Lucid ID and WEEE ID, which apparently only apply to products being bought & sold in Germany.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Is your ebay Managed Payment account current?  If so, try a different browser, as some buttons don't display correctly with some.  Otherwise, you will need to contact ebay. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I too am having issues with eBay on this.  For 13 years my 1099K had the correct SSN, but then somehow it got changed - I don't know how because I can't edit it. I have been trying for 5 months to get my SSN corrected.  I have mailed, uploaded, and emailed a W9 and copies of my ID and no one can get it corrected. I call and they create a ticket and promise to call back within 72 hours, but they don't ever call back.  A supervisor has tried to make the field where I can edit it, but they can't. I tried clearing cookies, clearing history, changing browers, using a different PC and no mater what I can't edit it. I have tried week after week with different agents and it appears it can't be done...I don't know what to do.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@mjdykes2009 wrote:

I too am having issues with eBay on this.  For 13 years my 1099K had the correct SSN, but then somehow it got changed - I don't know how because I can't edit it. I have been trying for 5 months to get my SSN corrected.  I have mailed, uploaded, and emailed a W9 and copies of my ID and no one can get it corrected. I call and they create a ticket and promise to call back within 72 hours, but they don't ever call back.  A supervisor has tried to make the field where I can edit it, but they can't. I tried clearing cookies, clearing history, changing browers, using a different PC and no mater what I can't edit it. I have tried week after week with different agents and it appears it can't be done...I don't know what to do.

SO, ebay has your SS number wrong so they are are now not tying your sales on ebay to you? Sounds more like a blessing than a problem,  I am sure it would be better to get it fixed but .....

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

If you are not hiring employees, creating a partnership, doing a 401k and just being a 'sole proprietor, an EIN is not necessary. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply