cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question why am I paying a fee for taxes and shipping?

I'm feeling discouraged trying to sell on Ebay anymore I know there are fees but it just feels like it never ends there's a fee for everything and it's not just Ebay, maybe there's a good reason Ebay is charging a fee on taxes and shipping but I'm just not feeling it 😞

Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

Re: Question why am I paying a fee for taxes and shipping?

So honest replies are ones you agree with. Got it.

That's not how it works here. You will get a great diversity of replies.

This question has been asked and answered over and over and really the only question is if you are okay with it ?

Based on your use of the platform you are saying you accept these terms according to the ToS.

Message 31 of 129
latest reply

I don’t like it neither. Too many fees. I have questioned them about this also. And have gotten no response. If I sell an item for $10, Buyer pays shipping, I get less than $10 after taxes and fees!

I am feeling the discouragement. 😒😒

Message 32 of 129
latest reply

In general, most experienced sellers on here will tell you it's a losing proposition to list any item for less than twenty bucks.  

Message 33 of 129
latest reply

There are 100's of postings just like yours on this forum and the answers have not changed. They apply the fees that way because that is the way it is stated in the user agreement you signed up to. EBay is a business and as such has operating costs and responsibilities to their shareholders. The fees may seem high but calculate your net profit on a sale and see what your ROI percentage or net profit is on that item then ask yourself would your buyers say your profit was too much if they knew what it was? Better yet disclose that percentage in your item description, similar to what eBay does with the FVF policy, and see if you get any reactions from your buyers. 

Message 34 of 129
latest reply

@swtldyp wrote:

I don’t like it neither. Too many fees. I have questioned them about this also. And have gotten no response. If I sell an item for $10, Buyer pays shipping, I get less than $10 after taxes and fees!

@swtldyp 

"I get less than $10 after taxes and fees!"  Well this should make you feel better.  Taxes paid by the buyer [and they are] do NOT reduce anything you receive.  Buyers always pay sales tax, without exception.

You do pay a FVF on the amount you charge for shipping, which is why you need to account for that in your numbers.  Either in the price you charge for shipping or in the price you charge for the product.  You have to cover your costs.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 35 of 129
latest reply

Because this is eBay.

Message 36 of 129
latest reply

I always felt this was wrong. If a brick and mortar store did this people would be calling their government agencies.  If a restaurant did it there would be outcries. Ebay does it and they get away with it.

Message 37 of 129
latest reply

@byrd69er wrote:

Because this is eBay.

All similar sites charge their FVF on shipping, not just Ebay.

Message 38 of 129
latest reply

@kraftique wrote:

I always felt this was wrong. If a brick and mortar store did this people would be calling their government agencies.  If a restaurant did it there would be outcries. Ebay does it and they get away with it.

Retail stores and restaurants do the exact same thing.  They add up their costs of any given product.  First by adding the product costs plus incoming freight plus inventory overhead costs and whatever other overhead they may add to their stuff, then add in the profit they want to arrive at the price they will sell the item at.  It is no different here.

If they don't do that, they can't make a profit and if they can't make a profit, they won't be in business very long.  

BTW B&M stores pay fees to the Credit Card companies for processing every payment they get and that fee is based on the total amount of the purchase, which includes sales tax.  This is another cost they have to pass on to the customers by way of an overhead rate they add in their pricing structure.

Message 39 of 129
latest reply

Unfortunately, every platform (except the P* site and M* site) does this.  I think Amz does it too.  I simply increase my prices to cover the fees.

Message 40 of 129
latest reply

@liawri-75 wrote:

Unfortunately, every platform (except the P* site and M* site) does this.  I think Amz does it too.  I simply increase my prices to cover the fees.

@liawri-75 

I assume you mean Poshmark and Mercari.  You can say their names, it is fine.  I personally haven't sold on those two, so I don't know if they charge a FVF on taxes.

However Amazon and Etsy charge a FVF on shipping, but neither site charges a FVF on Sales Tax.

Message 41 of 129
latest reply

@swtldyp wrote:

Huh?  You actually questioned ebay about this?

You apparently don't understand how ebay works.

If you sell something for $10 and the buyer pays the shipping where do you think ebay's fees come from.

They come out of that $10. That's why you get LESS than $10.

Maybe ebay shouldn't charge a fee and let the sellers keep ALL the money.

Wouldn't that be great?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 42 of 129
latest reply

@frankenhobbit wrote:

If eBay stopped charging the FVF for Sales Tax in 2024, the FVF for the item would just go up, They are going to make sure they get paid. 

I do find the argument that it is a 'processing fee' like everyone else charges such as Visa, Mastercard etc disingenuous. It's a commission and processing fee combined. No-one else charges a commission on Sales Tax. 

But, it IS how that do their pricing and they are perfectly transparent about it. They don't hide it at all. In the end, just price accordingly. 

Precisely. Pay lower % on full payment or higher % on item + S/H? I rather they charge fees on sales tax than drop the sales tax fee & raise % on item + FVF. A very large portion of my sales are sales tax exempt, so i don't pay a fee on taxes anyway for a large portion of my sales since there are no taxes

Message 43 of 129
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@swtldyp wrote:

Huh?  You actually questioned ebay about this?

You apparently don't understand how ebay works.

If you sell something for $10 and the buyer pays the shipping where do you think ebay's fees come from.

They come out of that $10. That's why you get LESS than $10.

Maybe ebay shouldn't charge a fee and let the sellers keep ALL the money.

Wouldn't that be great?

Come on, what are you thinking man? EBay should PAY US A FEE to sell items on their site. If I sell an item for $10, I want to walk away with $12...no, $13! Now that is smart business 😉

Message 44 of 129
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Come on, what are you thinking man? EBay should PAY US A FEE to sell items on their site. If I sell an item for $10, I want to walk away with $12...no, $13! Now that is smart business 😉

I sell an item for $10 why do I walk away with less than $10?

I can't believe someone actually asked ebay that?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 45 of 129
latest reply