cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: Buyer returned item claiming it was defect

I sold a laptop and had it marked as open box. I described that I had used the laptop for over a year, commuting to school, and such; however, I had it under a protective skin and its been maintained in pristine condition. A buyer purchased item; however, he kept contacting me and ultimately returned the item.

After shipping item, about 3 days later he complained that item hadn't been scanned at a postal facility and I should open a lost package case with postal service, after which I apologized and asked him to wait for 2 business days and reach out to me again if not received in which item was delivered prior to then.

When item received, he claimed I used poor words describing condition of the laptop and laptop has a few scratches and definitely not open box, he requested partial refund. Few hours later on the same day he sent a request return the item with 6 images attached claiming 3 hairline scratches near the edges (he sent 3 duplicate images.) I didn't argue with him and was sympathetic and tried to resolve it; however, he did return the item and was able to do so even though I marked I don't accept returns.

I inspected the laptop, and its clean and I had to really look hard to find the 3 scratches he described. I looked up the price of my item and it has dropped by over %27 since he's bought it. Buyer mentioned this is the second laptop he's had returned due to unacceptable conditions given the price and seller description.

Can I report my buyer? What do you recommend, I needed advisement on this prior to issuing him a refund. I've never had any issues with a buyer constantly contacting me post purchase and never had someone try to return an item.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

In the big scheme of things it sounds like you may have just found a particularly picky buyer and his/her idea or expectations on the condition of the item differed from yours. There is really nothing to report your buyer for at least you got the same item back you sent and in the same condition you sent it in. Some sellers are not so fortunate. 

As for you "not accepting returns" you need to understand that applies only to remorse returns not to NAD returns which is what I am assuming the buyer claimed when they filed the case with eBay. I am assuming you, or eBay, has fully refunded the buyer. Just add the buyer to your BBL and relist the item or try to sell it on a local forum. Don't linger on this transaction if you sell on eBay long enough you will hit an occasional issue like this, or worse it's just part of online selling. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Returns are part of doing business, you're lucky to have never experienced it til now. It may not be the last time.

There is nothing to report the buyer for, the item may have been in perfect condition when it left your hands but you have no idea what the item was subjected to in transit to the buyer.

No returns doesn't mean no refunds when Money Back Guarantee is implemented.

No returns policy only can used on remorse returns.

Your only option is to accept the return, issue the return label , wait to receive the item then refund in full when you receive it.

If you don't do anything, the buyer can ask ebay to step in, when that happens, ebay will refund on your dime, allow the buyer to keep the item and you get a defect for not handling your returns.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

In the big scheme of things it sounds like you may have just found a particularly picky buyer and his/her idea or expectations on the condition of the item differed from yours. There is really nothing to report your buyer for at least you got the same item back you sent and in the same condition you sent it in. Some sellers are not so fortunate. 

As for you "not accepting returns" you need to understand that applies only to remorse returns not to NAD returns which is what I am assuming the buyer claimed when they filed the case with eBay. I am assuming you, or eBay, has fully refunded the buyer. Just add the buyer to your BBL and relist the item or try to sell it on a local forum. Don't linger on this transaction if you sell on eBay long enough you will hit an occasional issue like this, or worse it's just part of online selling. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@selldemstuff wrote:

I sold a laptop and had it marked as open box. I described that I had used the laptop for over a year, commuting to school, and such; however, I had it under a protective skin and its been maintained in pristine condition. 

Are you serious?

That's not "open box".

That's  "used".

What would you like to report the buyer for?

Buying your item that was not described correctly?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

You sold a laptop with no tracking... and you have a "no return" policy?  What I would recommend is that you just be happy you got your computer back.  

He could have said he never got it and you couldn't prove otherwise.  Or... if you refused his return he could just claim item wasn't as described or damaged.  You would either get back a damaged item or the guy could end up with the laptop AND a full refund.

This is probably the best outcome you could have hoped for.

That's just my thoughts.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I suggest @selldemstuff reviewing eBay's definitions for item conditions.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=47...

• Open box: The item is in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or it may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and a description
  • Used: The item was previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but it is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that was used. See the seller's listing for full details and a description of any imperfections

Your item should have been listed as Used, not Open Box. You found the scratches (no matter how subtle they were) that the buyer complained about. The buyer does not appear to have abused the returns policy on this one; the error was yours.

You got the item back so you can resell it, this time choosing the appropriate condition.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@selldemstuff 

If you relist that laptop, list it accurately! 

Open box means NEW!! How could you possibly think a laptop that you "used for over a year, commuting to school, and such" would be new?!?! 

Please study the various "condition" options, especially the difference between open box and used. 

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 12.51.38 AM.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Thanks @ebooksdiva. I guess I am lucky. I wanted to just verify there's not a new wave of behaviors I'm not familiar with, just wanted to be cautious prior to proceeding with issuing refund.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thanks @dbfolks166mt I think you pretty much summed up the answer I was looking for. I went ahead and accepted the refund accordingly. Adding buyer to BBL was what I was pointing towards, wasn't familiar with how that works. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the link. When I was listing the item. I didn't understand or find the right choice. Thanks for the resourceful link.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I didn't see used when I listed it, but I went through the options more carefully second time around and saw used. Thanks for the image and pointing me in the right direction.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You advertised a new product and sent something that was used for a year.

I think there is a name for that.

You should try and close and full refund ASAP and be nothing other than apologetic.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply