cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted listings

OK so after years of saying I would never promote a listing I entertained the thought of just looking at what it would cost me. So I go to see and as always ebay tells you NOTHING. OK you can do it from 1% to 100% of what you sold it for. So this means they will also charge me what ever % on shipping also. OK my real question is Where and what does it promote if I do 1% and where does it get promoted at 25% where at 50% and where at 75 %.  Please dont tell me the ebay way and say 75% gets you in more places than 1% because thats just stupid. Where and what EXACTLY do I get for 1% and what EXACTLY do I get for 25 %  then 50% and 75% ?? DO NOT REPLY UNLESS YOU CAN ANSWER MY QUESTION. TELLING ME I GET MORE WITH 25% THAN 1% IS STUPID COMMON SENSE. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Promoted listings

No one, including ebay can point to the exact spot/s, your promoted listing appears or will appear........ 

You will  pay for a SALE, you are not paying for A placement.  You pay nothing if there is no sale. 

PL can/may appear at the top of search, on either side of the search window and in the various lines of listings that appear on a listing.

Suggest you go to Help at the top of the page and put in Promoted Listing to learn more about them...........

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

The percentage is not charged on the shipping, only the item sale price.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

When promoting; it TELLS you what the 'going rate' is. If it says "8%" and you want to be sure to 'BEAT' that number and get your listing ABOVE others that use promotions, you will go higher. Usually only 1% higher. 

BUT... depending on the search a buyer does, if you sell for $100 and someone else is $1000, the $1000 will get better placement than you even if you're both at 10%, because eBay will get more $$ for that $1000 sale.

Promoting does NOT get you MORE listing placements, no matter WHAT percentage you use. It gets you to the TOP OF THE 1st PAGE, or closer to that top (in best match). 

Bottom Line; you just have to play with it. 

The biggest reason is to get your items shown on other peoples listings as well as 'your own' listings vs. other sellers that DO use Promotions and their item now shows in YOUR listings. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

Also noting; for instance on your 1 Grain of Gold for $6; there are 2 full rows of 'other sellers' items on your listing, BEFORE I can scroll down to the Written Description (by the way, that listing is very misleading and should just simply state what you get in the Title ie. 1 Grain or 1/465th of an ounce. 

Anyway, the 2 rows are "Similar Sponsored Items" and "Sponsored Items Customers have Bought".. 

those are 'other peoples' listings, but they could be yours if you do at least 1%. 

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

LOL you dont do ebay much do you ? At a rating of over 10,000 you would know your final value fees include shipping.  the percentage is based on final value fees and YES you pay final value fees on what you charge for shipping. 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

Where your listing appears in a particular search depends on a whole host of factors -- some of which you can control (like your return policy or including item-specifics), some of which you can influence (like your overall seller reputation), but also other factors which are out of your control (like who your competitors are).

There are no guarantees when it comes to search ranking. Every seller wants their listing to appear at the top of the search, but there is only room for one top listing in any given search.

General tips for optimizing for "Best Match" to ensure you are not disadvantaging your listings before you consider promotions, just in case you have not seen this:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/optimising-listings-best-match?id=4166

If two listings are identical in quality and ranking as far as eBay is concerned for a particular search, then the listing with the higher promotion percentage will get preferential treatment, obviously -- so search ranking depends in part upon the quality and promotion level of your competitors in any given search.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

So just as I thought. You can pay 10% and not help at all because someone else pays 15% and gets the spot anyway or puts the ads for  more expensive items. Mostly being stuff the person is not even looking for  in the first place. It should be illegal to tell people pay us more and we will promote your item and then not do it because 10,000 other ads are before yours. Time for some letters to the Attorney General because this cant possibly be legal. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

LOL I did thats why im here. They tell you nothing. Its all a big scam.  Been that way for yrs why would they change now. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

You can pay 10% and not help at all because someone else pays 15% and gets the spot anyway or puts the ads for more expensive items.

Promoting at 10% only translates into paying 10% if the item sells as a result of the promotion. You do not pay anything if the item does not sell, or if it sells through a non-promoted link (provided the buyer did not use your promoted link previously).

You are paying a percentage of your possible gains for higher search placement than you would otherwise get without promotion, in addition to other things like links to your listings appearing within other listings or searches.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

Keep in mind that most buyers will purchase an item found within the first four presented in results, so if you are up against 1000's of similar items, it might prove tricky to get to those top spots.  

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

Promoted fee does not include shipping just  percent of price. You only have 8 listings forget it. Lowest price plus shipping will get you highest ranking. Race to bottom is all that matters. My 2 cents.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

Sorry its based on final value fees and final value fees INCLUDE SHIPPING.  That was ebays way of scamming you into forcing free shipping. You should know this. 

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

So even though i put in caps dont answer if you cant answer my question here we are doing EXACTLY what i asked not to do. THATS what is wrong with ebay.  

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Promoted listings

You are incorrect Sir and/or Madam. It is charged on the sale price of the item. 

Message 15 of 27
latest reply