cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Products being sold for Coronavirus prevention

It's no longer just masks, hand sanitizer, or wipes.  Price gouging of cleaning products, alcohol derivatives, hand soaps, antibacterial sprays and etc. is taking place.  Anything these greedy folk can do to capitalize off this health issue. Our local grocery chains & pharmacies are now limiting supplies to prevent people from hoarding and buying out for resale.  Includes toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water. OTC cold medicines and related products.

Yet if you read the current medical information it'a unnecessary.  China is beginning to normalize as they used aggressive non pharmaceutical methods to contain the virus. 80% of people affected had mild to moderate symptoms'  The high risk group was 60+ with immune insufficiencies, underlying pulmonary or cardiac diseases.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

@trehar_4   While I am NOT down playing the severity of the situation I am applauding hard decisions the President, NBA and other entities are making to limit the spread of the virus.  I am watching Italy too since they have put very heavy travel restrictions on their citizens, all shops and restaurants are closed too ... if cases suddenly start to decline it will be proof that one effective measure, like minimizing human to human contact, may become a future norm for protecting people.

Putting this in perspective, in 2009 we had the Swine flu, US population was about 306.8 million and approximately 17,000 US deaths occurred - that's 0.00554% (1/2 of 1/10 of 1 percent).  NO travel restrictions of any kind were put in place.

For Coronavirus to hit the Swine flu death percentage with a current population at about 369 million it would mean approximately 20,440 American deaths ... we're at 37 and while the number will climb it may never reach the Swine flu level because of the travel bans and other precautions the US has taken.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

@trehar_4 wrote: ...  if you read the current medical information it'a unnecessary.  China is beginning to normalize as they used aggressive non pharmaceutical methods to contain the virus.....

But that type of travel control isn't being applied to affected areas in the US, so in true American style, it's every person watching out for their own interests. Also, there was plenty of press coverage of Chinese hoarding of TP because of a rumor that the supply chain would be disrupted..

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

May they wipe in peace!!! Iowa corn cob sales should pick up soon.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

I was watching a video on YouTube and they said the reason people are hoarding toilet paper, is because it gives them peace of mind. In other words, hugging a package of Charmin supposedly makes some people feel better.

Was out shopping yesterday and Ralphs Supermarket had toilet paper, limit of two Charmin 24 pack. No lines either,

hardly anyone out at 4p.m.

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote: ... Iowa corn cob sales should pick up soon.

Then will eBay ban the sale of vintage Sears catalogues?

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

I went to 2 Walmarts that were sold out, tried Safeway, Family Fare, both sold out. I went to Dollar General and bought 3 packs, my sewage system can't handle corn cobs or magazine pages lol
Message 7 of 40
latest reply

True, those products are usually used in conjunction with plumbing-free options.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

How do we stop the price gouging due to the coronavirus outbreak here in the US. The price of toilet paper and paper towel is outrageous. Seems the sellers are taking advantage of buyers because of the shortage of these items they making money on this outbreak. Its against the law and our state has called a state health alert or what ever they call it and its against the law to take advantage of price gouging. 

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:
While I am NOT down playing the severity of the situation I am applauding hard decisions the President, NBA and other entities are making to limit the spread of the virus. 

Putting this in perspective, in 2009 we had the Swine flu, US population was about 306.8 million and approximately 17,000 US deaths occurred - that's 0.00554% (1/2 of 1/10 of 1 percent).  NO travel restrictions of any kind were put in place.

For Coronavirus to hit the Swine flu death percentage with a current population at about 369 million it would mean approximately 20,440 American deaths ... we're at 37 and while the number will climb it may never reach the Swine flu level because of the travel bans and other precautions the US has taken.

I don't think that's how it works.

Swine flu has a death rate of 0.02% while Covid-19 is thought to be 1% to 2%. As you seem to already know, that means Covid-19 is 50 to 100x more deadly. Covid-19 is also more contagious than Swine flu.

Also, the travel ban limiting travel from Europe is near meaningless now. The virus is here and is already widespread. If this administration had actually done their job instead of trying to make things appear better than they are, we would have widespread testing now, and we would know where and how the virus has and is spreading.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

This is consider price gouging for 1 roll of toilet paper. I went to Home Depot got 1,000 sheets 12 pack for $11..47 plus tax I picked up 2 of them for now. But even 4 packs they are charging $25 or more for a 4 pack wow! I got 2 of the  12 packs with tax $24.22. So I can see making some profit but this is outrageous 

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

@andrew547  Swine flu has a death rate of 0.02% while Covid-19 is thought to be 1% to 2%. As you seem to already know, that means Covid-19 is 50 to 100x more deadly. Covid-19 is also more contagious than Swine flu.

Not saying that what we are doing as a country, state, county etc. will not help reduce the spread but...

Those numbers are ridiculously overblown as they don't have X, an originating number of cases, to compare the death rate to. 

1 in 100 people = 1%

1 in 1000000 people = .000001% 

Regarding widespread? There are less than 1637 cases reported in the entire USA as of yesterday. That is .000005%. 

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

Those numbers are ridiculously overblown as they don't have X, an originating number of cases, to compare the death rate to. 

That is the number we have and we have almost no testing here now, and that is the solution for lots of things, including accurate numbers.

1 in 1000000 people = .000001% 

1 in 1,000,000 is .0001%

Regarding widespread? There are less than 1637 cases reported in the entire USA as of yesterday. That is .000005%. 

Because inexplicably, there is almost no testing in the US. The real number is obviously much greater. We know it's widespread. That's why we're closing schools, sporting events, public gatherings, and more to come.

And that's .0005% not .000005%, but as I said in my first post, that's not the point.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

The first cases were reported in China back sometime in December. I guarantee you that this virus has been circulating for a lot longer, that it's already everywhere, and millions have already been exposed and a lot have already had it. For the majority of people it presents as a bad cold or the flu.  I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that since December (if not before) it's been here and misdiagnosed as the common flu, and the deaths were considered flu related . It's kind of hard to test for something when you don't know it exists.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@andrew547 1 in 1,000,000 is .0001%

Your calculator is very broken.. my numbers were correct. .0001 is 1 in 10,000 not 1 in 1,000,000. 

Message 15 of 40
latest reply