cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Holiday Season Sales

Hi everyone! 

How's the post-holiday, pre-tax return season going for you guys? My sales are down 40% since December. I feel like most people are holding off from discretionary spending at this time of the year, but I could be wrong since everyone has their own unique definition of "discretionary spending"

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Post Holiday Season Sales

My sales are okay considering what I am selling. Wish more people were interested as a lot of what I have is a LOT cheaper then other sellers. 

But such is life.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@goldenring.llc wrote:

Hi everyone! 

How's the post-holiday, pre-tax return season going for you guys? My sales are down 40% since December. I feel like most people are holding off from discretionary spending at this time of the year, but I could be wrong since everyone has their own unique definition of "discretionary spending"

There are approximately 8 billion reasons why people do or do not spend money. (hint hint - worldwide population). Some reasons overlap and the number can be condensed and unified but you are still at hundreds of millions of reasons. It is pointless to ask why.

In my case, for instance, I spend money on discretionary items when sales are slow. Because when sales are strong I don’t have time for folderal and froofraw. So I'm not bothered by the occasional dip in sales.

But that’s just me.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Historically January is my biggest month for sales all year.  While my sales are OK, I sincerely hope this is not my biggest sales month of the year.

It however is not unusual for most sellers to see a downturn in sales in January.  Usually just due to how much people spent during the holidays and just need some time to recover.  Then once they feel back up on their feet, it is tax season and that will often deter spending until they know what their tax impact is.

The first quarter of the year can be hard.

The not as common reason why I think we are feeling less sales is because we are in a Presidential Election year.  And it is not unusual for those that feel uneasy about the upcoming election to start saving money as much as they can, so they stop buying things they want and only what they need.  I've seen this happen during most presidential election years since I've been an online seller.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Awesome. But then again, I do carry some specialty items that always sell well in January. Talk to me in March-April and I'll probably be washing windshields at the offramp.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Chugging along, no problems.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I went through a huge drop in sales in mid-January.

"Like someone turned off a switch".

But things are picking up now.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Sales are good...for me..great when people get their monthly social security payments.

And I have a "repeat buyers" base that helps me.

I have a box of the items you are selling....it just adds up when I buy a new item and throw the old items in a box. And DVDs I give to the library for free due to streaming on TV now.

I guess it depends what a seller sells.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I am a very small seller and only sell Christmas items. January is usually a good month for me because buyers come around looking for after-Christmas deals and I try to give them what they are looking for (good deals). I am up 29.9% this month compared to January of last year. I anticipate sales to slow down significantly next month and not pick up again until late July or early August.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply