cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Person who's profile says Mexico

I've had 2 separate people today message me to see if I will accept an offer

(why not just send an offer)

Anyway they're profile shows Mexico which I have excluded

I am assuming this is because they have their address set to somewhere in the US?

Thanks 

Matt

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@mreinsmith wrote:

It looks like there is no central place to change your exclusion list, is that right?  I have to do it for each of my shipping policies?

That is correct. You have to make the adjustment to every biz policy.

Unfortunately @mreinsmith , eBay made a super odd change a couple years ago.

Sellers not using business policies:

- can adjust exclusions at the listing level

- can adjust exclusions at the account level

Sellers using business policies:

- can adjust exclusions at the biz policy level (equivalent of changing at listing level for those without policies)

- can no longer adjust exclusions at the account level, so any exclusions in place when that change was made are there and uneditable unless you turn off biz policies, remove the exclusions, then reenable biz policies.

Take a look at this page:

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

See where it says 'exclude shipping locations'? Do you see any numbers next to 'international'? If you do, that will tell us you have account level exclusions set. If the number says 0 next to 'international' then you can adjust your biz policy without worrying about a hidden higher account level block.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@mreinsmith 

That is an odd coincidence. Beyond that... I make no assumptions about anything anymore, especially while selling here. With that being said, I notice that (in reference to the profile) you say, "... shows Mexico which I have excluded". Actually, it's not on your Exclusion list, at least in the listings I ticked. I do see "Ships to US", but... maybe you need to tick those countries.

I don't know if adjusting the Exclusions might keep this from happening, but I checked my own listings and I have Mexico in my Exclusion list (mine is much longer than yours) and I've never received such a question. Maybe another poster will come along with other experience (or knowledge) about your issue. Hang tight and good luck.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

My exclusion list was the first thing I checked.

I thought that it must not be working

Going to look at it again

Matt

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

It looks like there is no central place to change your exclusion list, is that right?  I have to do it for each of my shipping policies?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I think the reason my list is shorter is because I excluded whole regions at a time

For instance, North America (Excluding the US) which includes Mexico, Canada, etc.

Thanks 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@mreinsmith wrote:

That is correct. You have to make the adjustment to every biz policy.

Unfortunately @mreinsmith , eBay made a super odd change a couple years ago.

Sellers not using business policies:

- can adjust exclusions at the listing level

- can adjust exclusions at the account level

Sellers using business policies:

- can adjust exclusions at the biz policy level (equivalent of changing at listing level for those without policies)

- can no longer adjust exclusions at the account level, so any exclusions in place when that change was made are there and uneditable unless you turn off biz policies, remove the exclusions, then reenable biz policies.

Take a look at this page:

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

See where it says 'exclude shipping locations'? Do you see any numbers next to 'international'? If you do, that will tell us you have account level exclusions set. If the number says 0 next to 'international' then you can adjust your biz policy without worrying about a hidden higher account level block.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

That's where I went to change my exclusions, silly me!

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Great Customers in Mexico, I ship to Mexico and have never had an issue with a buyer.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I don’t think it has anything to do with your exclusions.  They messaged you through the eBay message system correct?  I know that if you block someone’s ID they can no longer message you but afaik a buyer in another country has always been able to message you even if their country is blocked.  

If your listings had best offer on them, a blocked buyer could not make an offer without a US address but sending a message is different.  Perhaps @wastingtime101 can confirm that. He is familiar with the recent changes to blocks and messaging and would know if they have also stopped allowing buyers in blocked countries to message.  

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 To answer your questions on buyer blocks:

Buyers on a seller's blocked buyer list can send messages, but eBay filters them into the abyss. The buyer thinks their message went through but eBay blocked it so the seller has no idea the buyer sent a message. It's really bad to force that BBL message block on sellers.

Buyers that are blocked based on buyer requirements (location, UPIs, number of items purchased, etc) - those buyers can message the seller if the seller does not block their messages. If seller has the setting checked to block messages, those buyers (unless in a recent transaction) will not see the contact seller link on the ASQ page. However they may still see the contact seller link on the seller's profile page or FB page.

BBL-messages.png

This may or may not apply to @mreinsmith 's potential buyer, but I'll throw it out there. I do not ship direct to Mexico, however I have shipped there several times by way of Estafeta in TX. Estafeta is a freight forwarding service that eBay adds to listings meeting the criteria. This partnership offers buyers in Mexico the forwarding service for an added fee.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/international-pu...

https://www.ebay.com/cdp/help/freight/estafeta

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

The customer may well have a contracted a Freight Forwarder who accepts the delivery at which point the seller's responsibility for delivery ends.

The Forwarder then consolidates all the customer's purchases, and ships them. Before doing that as part of their fee they will also charge the customer import fees (duty and sales taxes).

This means the seller is not going to get  caught in a "customs delay " scam.

If the customer, having received their purchase and paid their import fees, is unhappy with the purchase, finds the purchase is Not As Described, they can file a Claim.

BUT

The seller only needs to supply return shipping from the US address of the forwarder.

All of which means that the customer who uses a freight forwarder is basically not able to use any of the Buyer Protections of the Money Back Guarantee.

Which is why freight forwarder addresses are safer than any address except for USPS mail boxes.

Safer than an apartment mail box. Safer than a suburban porch. Safer than a rural roadside mail box.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

So have I, freight customers in each case where they have arranged the shipping themselves

However I've also had several customers in Canada and had to pay additional fees because of the using credit card outside of the US.

That is one of the things I am trying to avoid 

Finally I've had multiple buyers who have returned items recently simply by choosing "doesn't fit" or not as described" which clearly not the case

If I don't take the time to appeal it I have to pay the return shipping and lose the original shipping cost

Those are the reasons I am wary of it

Anyway, trying not to lose money while at the

same time not losing money by wasting time

Sorry to be long winded 

It's just been frustrating recently 

Thanks again 

Matt

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Going to check that out, thanks

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Thanks to @femmefan1946, @wastingtime101 and everyone for super info

I did get charged for "buyer's primary address is in Mexico" but this time it was only $1.61

So all in all not bad

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

customers in Canada and had to pay additional fees because of the using credit card outside of the US.

Yes. But that can also happen when the buyer is using a non-US credit card, even though they reside in the USA.

Not to mention currency exchange fees.

buyers who have returned items recently simply by choosing "doesn't fit"

You are better off with forwarded purchases for those than with domestic.

You are only required to provide return shipping from the forwarder's US address, not the overseas one.

Which is too complex for most customers, even scammers.

And if you demand a return you only refund when you have the item back.

Even if you have a No Returns policy.

In future always demand the unwanted purchase be returned.

If there really is a problem, you can fix it and relist and resell.

If there isn't a problem, you can relist and resell.

It's business not personal.

Not every transaction will go perfectly.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply