cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal's 7/31/20 New Policy Updates ... If you resell, you've got to see this!

I got an email from PayPal about their new policy changes, effective 7/31/2020, so I clicked on the link and read the new changes.

The one that jumped out at me is:

"We are excluding items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, from reimbursement eligibility under our Purchase Protection Program."

Does this mean, if you use one PayPal account to both buy and sell on eBay, they won't reimburse you if you bought items and either they didn't get to you or they are not as described and the seller won't let you return it or refund you???

If that's what this means, I am leaving PayPal for good and will look at alternative ways to sell.  If that means leaving eBay, too, so be it.  I'm having a lot better luck selling on Facebook, anyway.

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: PayPal's 7/31/20 New Policy Updates ... If you resell, you've got to see this!

Not surprising, but disappointing. There's been too many scammers over the years who have ruined it for the rest of the honest people, just as with everything else these days. One bad apple can spoil the whole tree, I guess. On that note, you can move to Managed Payments on eBay. They'll be making all of us do it within the next couple of years, so perhaps you can call eBay and ask to be moved sooner, rather than later. Happy Selling!
Message 76 of 101
latest reply

Re: PayPal's 7/31/20 New Policy Updates ... If you resell, you've got to see this!

The ones being moved to Managed Payments now are quite probably the ones that have offerings and items that won't be problematic to Adyen.  Adyen's terms are that they don't do car sales - who know if that precludes 'ebay Motors'.  Adyen's  terms say that they don't do 'Auctions' - though don't specify what kind.  Lots of questions, few answers thus far.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 77 of 101
latest reply

"A lot of large companies are using Paypal - I just purchased a laptop from Dell and one of the payment methods was Paypal."

I buy from Walgreens and also a wine delivery company and they use PayPal, which I like...the less my CC #'s are out there the better.
Message 78 of 101
latest reply

"I'm so confused.
Can anyone explain this to me in a sentence or two in plain English?"

AMeN....hahahaha...keyboard still wonky.
Message 79 of 101
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Oh I guess that might be possible since they are saying goodbye to a lot of money.

No, because Paypal will still be an option with MP, it'll simply be processed through Adyen as one of a number of other payment options.  Buyers here who like Paypal will still be able to use it.  Paypal isn't losing anything by their separation from eBay.

Between Q4 2015 and Q4 2019, eBay’s gross merchandise volume, i.e. the total value of all goods sold on eBay’s marketplace, grew by just 7 percent. Meanwhile PayPal’s total payment volume grew by 145 percent, propelling the company’s market capitalization to $145 billion, while eBay’s slumped to just over $30 billion as of April 27, 2020.

Statista 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 80 of 101
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@jewelbiz wrote:

What about platinum jewelry?

What about diamond jewelry?

What about sterling silver jewelry?

You see what I mean?  

Can you ban gold & not other precious metals or 💎gemstones?

Makes no sense!

Gold bar NO...Gold ring YES...?

Makes no sense!

The one thing that I feel fairly comfortable about is that eBay will be highly motivated to figure out a solution for this one. In the end good old capitalism will hopefully end up saving the day. Who in their right mind would want  to give up the kind of revenue that gold provides.

But if eBay no longer wants this type of business on their site someone else will.

12.jpg

With that said eBay gold widget sellers should continue to ask questions and look for answers.

That's a tasty photo!  I actually was able to handle a gold ingot or bar at the Bank of England (I was there at an open house) - it was almost sensuous - all that GOLD, with its rich glow in the lights, and the texture was almost oily.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 81 of 101
latest reply

Well that's good because I like PP...I didn't at first because of their origins but they seemed to have cleaned themselves up nicely and are behaving now.

I am however weaning myself off of 'here' because of the Steiner thing. I also have found other ways to have food delivered, catalogs and sites other than here. I also ReALLY dislike the gouging happening here and nothing being done about it...60 bucks for a hmmmm whatever, can't think of it right now.

Oh wait, it was a pack of 24 cans of V8 juice which I got for about 15 dollars, maybe a bit more, but I saw another seller asking SIXTY dollars. Same thing...same oz per can...sheesh. How do these people sleep at night?
Message 82 of 101
latest reply

I GOT THE SAME FOOLISH TEXTING FOR MORE THAN A WEEK, BUT AFTER 3 DAYS, I WASN'T AS NICE AS YOU. ANYWAY IT DIDN'T WORK EITHER. PAYPAL IS USELESS !!!!!
Message 83 of 101
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

@bar-29368 wrote:
It might be faster to get a coherent answer if a caller just asks WTH they DO cover from the date in the email onwards.

Bingo! I am scratching my scalp here...is this about BUYER protection - or SELLER protection changes? 

Utter hogwash. Why cannot PayPal issue a statement that is easy to understand? 

More reason to use a merchant account, elsewhere - unless this only refers to buyers, not sellers which - see above (da capo al fine). 

PW🤣🐿

Ebay doesn't allow that.

Did the word ELSEWHERE escape your attention?

PW👀🐿

Message 84 of 101
latest reply

@prosperityshoppe wrote:
Not surprising, but disappointing. There's been too many scammers over the years who have ruined it for the rest of the honest people, just as with everything else these days. One bad apple can spoil the whole tree, I guess. On that note, you can move to Managed Payments on eBay. They'll be making all of us do it within the next couple of years, so perhaps you can call eBay and ask to be moved sooner, rather than later. Happy Selling!

Not ALL of us, LOL

Just those who will comply.

PW😄🐿

Message 85 of 101
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Oh I guess that might be possible since they are saying goodbye to a lot of money.

No, because Paypal will still be an option with MP, it'll simply be processed through Adyen as one of a number of other payment options.  Buyers here who like Paypal will still be able to use it.  Paypal isn't losing anything by their separation from eBay.

Between Q4 2015 and Q4 2019, eBay’s gross merchandise volume, i.e. the total value of all goods sold on eBay’s marketplace, grew by just 7 percent. Meanwhile PayPal’s total payment volume grew by 145 percent, propelling the company’s market capitalization to $145 billion, while eBay’s slumped to just over $30 billion as of April 27, 2020.

Statista 

For now: Maybe. Just like, at first, it was O.K. to still use PayPal on Etsy. But later, Etsy took away this option.

Since these the CEOs of eBay and Etsy seem to copy each-other's ideas, who knows when eBay will simply declare, no more PayPal, in ANY form.

PW🐿

Message 86 of 101
latest reply

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

@bar-29368 wrote:
It might be faster to get a coherent answer if a caller just asks WTH they DO cover from the date in the email onwards.

Bingo! I am scratching my scalp here...is this about BUYER protection - or SELLER protection changes? 

Utter hogwash. Why cannot PayPal issue a statement that is easy to understand? 

More reason to use a merchant account, elsewhere - unless this only refers to buyers, not sellers which - see above (da capo al fine). 

PW🤣🐿

Ebay doesn't allow that.

Did the word ELSEWHERE escape your attention?

PW👀🐿

I didn't miss it.  Guess I misunderstood with the placement of the comma and the balance of the sentence.  My bad!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 87 of 101
latest reply

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Statista 

For now: Maybe. Just like, at first, it was O.K. to still use PayPal on Etsy. But later, Etsy took away this option.

Since these the CEOs of eBay and Etsy seem to copy each-other's ideas, who knows when eBay will simply declare, no more PayPal, in ANY form.

PW🐿

If you're in a country that supports Paypal you can still use it on Etsy:

Capture.JPG

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 88 of 101
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@atikovi wrote:

@grannys-estate-barn wrote:

"We are excluding items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, from reimbursement eligibility under our Purchase Protection Program."

This is great news for sellers of used items which is what I assume, "for resale" means. No automatic 180 free warranty or returns. It's about time. Now feedback will have more impact than ever for buyers to decide who to buy from.

I think it is the other way around.  The buyer is the one purchasing and using PP to make this payment.  If the buyer is purchasing the item for resale then they aren't covered.  At least that is the way I read it.  I certainly could be wrong as it does leave room for different understandings.

I don't know. Purchase Protection Program is for the buyers benefit. OP's quote mentions excluding items for reimbursement eligibility under the program, ergo, buyers wouldn't be covered on items that sellers aren't selling as new. Just my read. Maybe some staff can chime in.

Message 89 of 101
latest reply

Not going to read  the whole  thing but  all of my fabric is purchased through wholesale sources.     I have business and tax numbers

I use a business CC and or bank account to pay for my fabric.

NONE of these purchases,  using wholesale suppliers and business accounts are protected by purchase protection plans.   If a sale goes South or there is a problem with the order,   it has to be resolved by the supplier and myself.   Neither the CC or bank will step in provide money back protections.

Paypal use to,  but they will no longer as more and more wholesalers are using Paypal.

BTW,  it is Paypal that wanted out with Ebay,  not the other way around.

Message 90 of 101
latest reply