cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package delivered but not, ADDRESSEE UNKNOWN sends it back to me because of the name?

I shipped a package to a buyer.  The tracking said delivered, but wasn't.  A couple hours later, the tracking said ADDRESSEE UNKNOWN. The buyer said his mailbox had his middle name on it, but not his last name.  He lives in a condo or apartment. I'm guessing that is why it wasn't delivered and it will be returned back to me.  It all seems very odd, because I used to live in his city, and most of my neighbors had no name on their mailboxes. Like, no name  on a mailbox is better than a name that isn't you.

My question is, when I get it back, can I go to the PO and have it forwarded back to him?  Making sure of course, that the buyer fixes his mailbox to show the right name.  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Package delivered but not, ADDRESSEE UNKNOWN sends it back to me because of the name?

You can try it........no guarantees, I don't think, but my PO has resent stuff like this at no extra cost......

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: Package delivered but not, ADDRESSEE UNKNOWN sends it back to me because of the name?

Normally ADDRESSEE UNKNOWN is when someone forgets to add apartment or space number or proper address. That just happened to us yesterday returned package with insufficient address,,,, trying to contact buyer today to clarify . If it is still the right address will just give it right back to the post office
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I think it is the name.  The shipping label had the right address with unit number.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Find that odd have sent numerous packages with just first name or just last name, and some with just initials thats weird
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@rschissler wrote: ... The buyer said his mailbox had his middle name on it, but not his last name. ....  

What on earth was he thinking?  

That sounds like a guaranteed way to convince the carrier that the wrong name is on the mail for that address.  As noted in the other post, it would be less confusing to have no name at all on the box.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@jamestowngirl52 wrote:
Normally ADDRESSEE UNKNOWN is when someone forgets to add apartment or space number or proper address. That just happened to us yesterday returned package with insufficient address,,,, 

There's a difference between ADDRESSEE and ADDRESS.  The former is the name of the person or business, on the first line; the latter is the street or city part of the address.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@jamestowngirl52 wrote:
Find that odd have sent numerous packages with just first name or just last name, and some with just initials thats weird

But in this case it was a different name, i.e., the addressee's middle name, not a missing or partial name.  The only way that might work out is if the addressee's name on the mailed item included the person's middle name.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I'd get an explanation from buyer before taking any decision as to what to do next.

It could be for example that the package was filtered out by someone else,  which might require a a different recovery mechanism than one might guess.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

Sorry you are correct my bad

Message 10 of 10
latest reply