cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out $830 Because Of Return Label Fraud

Hoping someone might have some advice for me. I sold my former iPhone in early November. The buyer received it and claimed there was damage. I sent the return label and awaited the phone. They wouldn’t respond to messages and it took nearly a week but it was marked as shipped finally. On the day of delivery it was marked as delivered but it wasn't. Because I didn’t receive anything I didn’t issue the refund and the buyer opened a case. Because the tracking shows it was delivered to my zip code eBay forced the refund. I received a phone call from the USPS that the package with that tracking number did not have my name or address on the label. At that point I had already figured out it was a “return label scam” and I am aware that this a scam that has been mentioned on here before. I had appealed the decision to issue the refund and that was denied because of the tracking showing delivered. I requested written confirmation from the USPS which I eventually received via email. On 11/26 I messaged “eBay for Business” on Facebook but eventually turned to the eBay customer service chat as well on 11/28. I submitted the email from the USPS and was told I would hear back in 7-10 business days via email. I have yet to hear back. I messaged them again on 12/9 asking for an update and was told they would make sure it was still being looked at. After multiple messages with the Facebook team I finally received a message that there is nothing they can do. I am considering calling because I am not sure if my appeal that was submitted on the eBay customer service chat is also closed.

Does anyone who has been through this before have any advice? I am distressed not just from losing that much money but the lack of communication and protection from eBay. I am obviously never selling another phone on eBay again. This has been a nightmare. Thank you to anyone that took the time to read this. I hope it never happens to you. Happy holidays.

IMG_2367.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

IMG_2362.jpeg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Sorry, but an email won't work.

You need an actual letter from USPS stating the information.

Also, file mail fraud and a police report, then when you have those 3, appeal the case.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I-Phones are one of the TOP RATED stolen/scammed item. There is NOTHING you can do (oh, others will be by to tell you how you can 'try' this and 'try' that..but overall, there is NOTHING you can do except learn that I-Phones do NOT sell on the internet. Local only . 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Curious was the first scan for the return on the tracking from New York? Did you ship it to Florida?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

A logistics company on Markley Street, Port Reading, New Jersey. Site which has its own history of scams based on searches.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for the reply. File mail fraud with the usps postal inspector? And are you suggesting to file a police report with my local police department?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@757treasures wrote:

Thank you for the reply. File mail fraud with the usps postal inspector? And are you suggesting to file a police report with my local police department?

Yes, mail fraud will be with USPS.

You can file with your local police department and theirs if you can and you should be able to both online.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Given we selling peasants are able to figure this out, ebay could also shut down any account using this address info.  They have no problem having their system automatically take down accounts for certain known problem addresses, ip numbers, names.  Ebay could 100% shut this down.  They choose not to do so.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I think at this point, ebay really should have warnings on smartphone auctions for a high fraud risk - its been this way for a years now and obviously shows no signs of stopping anytime soon,  and I think we all know the reasons why...ebay makes money off it so they are not going to shut something down they made considerable profits from.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I haven't seen this Buyer scam in years  !   on this board  or  old  power-seller  board  but for this high amount  of money  is first  .  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I’d never sell anything that expensive on eBay-other better places to sell high dollar items

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I sell iPhones and this has happened to me a few times. I go to my post office, explain what happened, and nicely ask the postmaster to go to the computer and print the information for the tracking number. Sometimes they even have the geolocation of where the package was left. If they say they won't do it maybe try schmoozing them by offering to buy them lunch or something lol. Then I contact eBay, provide them the info and they'll reverse the case. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@gail5176 

Tagging on...Absolutely.  You read more about how sellers here are scammed by selling expensive phones than anything else.  Sell them locally for cash.  It's not worth the hassle nor the expense.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I suppose you could also always point out how would you even know what tracking number to look for if it wasn't supplied to you by the sender on the package you were expecting?

Message 14 of 14
latest reply