cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our changing economy

So I'd like to see who weighs in on this conversation.

In the past year, more like the last six months, things have doubled, gas is insane, and my rent is jacked up here in Florida. I have to be really careful to buy luxury items that I don't absolutely have to have.

Even though I have some complaints, my store was doing really well until this happened. Views aren't there, the watchers aren't really there and I'm only selling a handful of things a month, which basically covers my monthly store fee. I've lowered my prices accordingly, which truly means a loss.

Other than that life is good, lol..

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Our changing economy

Yes, I was shocked to see gas at the local Mavericks at $5.99. That's an increase of 40 cents in a couple of days. 

For the time being It's probably a good idea to top off your tank when ever you have a chance.

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

@royalsage wrote:

Yes, I was shocked to see gas at the local Mavericks at $5.99. That's an increase of 40 cents in a couple of days. 

For the time being It's probably a good idea to top off your tank when ever you have a chance.

Yep and I do'nt see no lines like there be a shortage at then pumps: do you???

I expect em to push this until the (suckers) people, just stop purchasing it and then drop it .50 and leave it there : ah market adjustments are great arnt they.......

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

I'm still buying some invetory if I hit it at the right price.  These days though I look at the distance I need to go to get it and the gas involved and factor that into the liklihood of finding anything useful.  Estate sales I would have gone to and church sales that would have looked tempting a year ago are no-gos now.    I've already closed my store - not enough sales to support it. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 33 of 44
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

I'm still buying some invetory if I hit it at the right price.  These days though I look at the distance I need to go to get it and the gas involved and factor that into the liklihood of finding anything useful.  Estate sales I would have gone to and church sales that would have looked tempting a year ago are no-gos now.    I've already closed my store - not enough sales to support it. 

Closed me store also: don't need it at this time.....

sure don't need a subscription service to add to costs at this time... And yes getting goody sales and where they are have become an issue due to distance..... and fuel costs...

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

Thank you! I was aware of the bot views being removed recently but wasn't aware they were 30% of views. I also wasn't aware of the rolling 30 day count so that explains things better.

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

@t-bone543 wrote:

@kensgiftshop 

It's a little tight right now between pay checks (full-time student, part time-retail worker), so I only $10 of gas yesterday. That bought me 2.01 gallons,. Even though I drive an economy car, I don't think 2.01 gallons is going to cut it for the week. If gas prices don't get better soon, I'm going to have to consider trading in the Hyundai for a Flintstones car.

1.jpg

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

We got gas today at $ 6.39 a gallon.    I went back to shopping at Walmart after $ 50 worth of groceries at a name store cost me almost $ 200.   We (in California) have Sprouts which is better and cheaper than everyone, so I shop there even though it isn't convenient.

I don't know how people on lower and fixed incomes are managing. 

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 37 of 44
latest reply

Everything is very expensive in Florida nowadays since so many people want to live in the state with the most freedom and common sense. I hear my new neighbors are complaining that cost of living is more expensive down here than up north where they came from.

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

The economy is really starting to hurt people now.  Before, people just complained but it has crossed a tipping point where now people are starting to change their habits.  My wife works at a bank and she tells me that over the last month they have been seeing a lot of people come in to see if they have enough money to make it to the end of the month in their accounts.  That rarely happened before.  Now it happens on a daily basis.  Lots of people having to move money from savings just so they can pay their bills.  A lot of her workmates are also complaining that they are out of money with a week still left before the next paycheck hits.

I know I have cut way back on my sourcing.  With slow sales and horrid gas prices, I have cut my driving miles down which means less buying for resale.  The economy feels like it is spiraling out of control and the  ripple effects are getting bigger.   It feels like nobody who has the ability to make corrections have the desire to do anything about it.  I bought my first house in 82 when interest rates were pushing 18% for 30 year mortgages so I have seen this before.  I lived through the Carter stagflation years.   This however feels much worse and I think we are in for a very rough ride over the next few years.  If something doesn't change quick, I think the next few years will make 2008 look like a pleasant ride in the park.

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

Most people do not understand how anything works. Did you know....

In 2021, the United States exported about 8.63 million barrels per day (b/d) and imported about 8.47 million b/d of petroleum. 

That makes us a net exporter. So why do we export oil only to import it? Simple, it is a publicly traded commodity. The US producing enough oil for energy independence will have no bearing on the price at the pump. This is the lie. More production will be used by companies to buy and sell during spikes and dips to maximize profits. The Petroleum Institute will tell you that our refineries are only set up for heavy oils, but the truth is light sweet crude is much less intensive to refine than heavy oils. Until people realize that it does not matter who is in power, everything is a lie, the game is fixed, and take to the streets for the right reasons, this will continue in perpetuity. 

Message 40 of 44
latest reply

I have also had to cut back on my sourcing drastically, which is really frustrating because it was my plan this summer to stock up for the winter when there seem to be fewer estate sales in my area. Currently doing an inventory overhaul, repricing, taking better/more pictures, trying to fill in any missing details, checking out the Seller School to see what I can learn there, creating a logo/banner, and thinking of utilizing social media platforms to try to boost sales. With my day job, this can make for a 50-hour week...and I've been substanitally below my sales goals since January. It's very discouraging for a newer seller, and I know I can do better because I've seen myself do it. 

Also seems like the only recent interactions I've had with buyers have been negative, which is not at all typical of my ebay experience. I accept what I think are pretty generous best offers on items, but I've had a ton of lowball ones lately. A lady with whom I discussed a defect of an item begged for 50% off, begged for feedback before the item was received, and upon receipt of the item, promptly complained about the defect that we discussed and that was pictured in the listing. When I offered a refund after reminding her we'd discussed it, she promptly threatened to come to my house and sent 6 or 7 threatening/disparaging messages and my first negative feedback in 500-something transactions. I've spent a lot of time on the phone with ebay reporting this interaction and trying to get the feedback removed. It's just bizarro-land out there, and I can't figure why. I usually have great customers, and I try to treat everyone with respect while, you know, being wary because this is the internet. It's come to where I dread seeing a message in my inbox.

Trying to remain positive, and just trying to work harder/learn more while it's so silent. I am very lucky that I have a part-time job I love that allows me to pursue bookselling. If I make nothing on ebay, my bare minimum expenses are almost covered for the month. I can't imagine the stress felt by those who rely on ebay as their sole source of income. I'm already worried every day that I won't be able to clear the couple extra hundred dollars that make me feel more secure and mean I won't have to put anything on a credit card. With all this happening, it's just so hard to find the motivation to keep going, knowing that all the work put in will probably yield next to nothing.

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

FLINSTONE IS WORSE ON THE GAS.....OH WELL

CLAY

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

I do most of my grocery shopping at Aldi stores, and have noticed a huge increase in customers there, as most of the items there are less expensive than Walmart… They also have some of the fastest checkouts in the USA… and none of that self checkout going on there (I hate those things).  They also try to locate close to Walmart stores.. Makes it much easier to shop Aldis first, then anything else at Walmart.  But dang, I digress….I’ve been on a very low budget for years…. I’m quite used to it, even though the budget buys less and less.  I adjust.  I also don’t do fast food restaurants.  I eat leftovers, only go grocery shopping when I have an appointment near the grocery stores, which are generally less than 2 weeks apart, try not to waste, use the freezer, etc. so far, it has no effect on my happiness.  Life is too short to spend it not being happy.

The point when I started typing was that most people are feeling the crunch….. but I guess my mind is just a wandering all over the place…lol

--
Message 43 of 44
latest reply

P.S.  I don’t sell any “necessities” either, but thankfully, some people can’t help themselves!

--
Message 44 of 44
latest reply