cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ole' eBay chargeback rears it's ugly head UPDATE

So after dozens of calls to ebay and messaging thier FB page, I think I am at the end of the process.

I had $1500 CB for the item a buyer opened a return then never printed the label and the return timed out. 3 months later he opens CB.

I was told since the beginning that I could appeal for seller protection once the CB was decided, but the last 2 CSR's now tell me there was no such process, even though like 10 told me it was in the appeal process. I had 2 CB's decided againt me in the past and eventually was made whole by ebay. One was for closer to 2K.

The feeling I get from talking to some is that the company is in such dissaray they no longer will make even long time sellers whole for much of anything. Sorta like the wild west now, you figure it out. I was given back my FVF's and the $20.

In some ways it is the cost of doing business. I think what frustrates me is the games and lying that goes on. Just tell me from the beginning the appeal is a waste, or it doesn't exist, and not waste my time. Also, the insistence that this has nothing to do with ebay when they are the processor of payments. 

I don't have an issue with 99.9% of transactions but it is irritating when you are told thier is protection then waste a lot of time to be told a different story and treated lousy by especially last 2 CSR's.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Ole' eBay chargeback rears it's ugly head UPDATE

@robbie31415 I no longer have his info. The information was no longer visible by the time he opened the CB. Even though the tranaction is there for a year or whatever now, the personal info disappears after 90 days, I believe. 

Ebay will not provide it, I do have his username, I was told by CSR to message him through ebay and ask for his info?  Seriously?

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

That's interesting, I guess it's a good thing that I have all my eBay orders automatically exported to a third party site that retains all the details forever.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

eBay doesn't create cases for return timeouts anymore.

At least not from what I've seen, the return just gets closed.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 101424.png

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Download the .csv transaction report (not the financial or tax)

it has Username | Name | City | State | Zip Code for each transaction (I just checked January 2023)

Seller Hub | Reports | eBay

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

So I can't find information visible on my computer as well.

However, for some weird thing when I use my eBay app on my iPhone I can find information no longer visible on my computer laptop but does show up on my iPhone. 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

It does for me still, also just closedScreenshot (44).png

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

The link above in ebay policy does state that if the seller meets all obligations that they qualify for ebay projection and says ebay will not take the funds from the seller even if the bank finds against the seller.

This seller offered the return, paid for and sent the return label.  This ebay's policy that all buyer agree to when they use the platform and make a purchase. The buyer specifically chose NOT to return the item and instead open a chargeback to ultimately keep the item and get the money back as well- this is theft. This is absolutely against ebay policy.  Yet ebay did not honor their protection policy in this case

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Well I don't know why eBay no longer escalates my time outs to cases and issues a 'decided in your favor'.

They used to automatically escalate to case when time ran out, but they no longer do.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@monica-sellsthanks, I will try there. 

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Ebay's handling of chargebacks ( or ignoring them) is getting widely known. Its fast becoming the place to purchace when you want to scam sellers and get stuff for free. Until ebay pushes back and actually protects the platform and its sellers- then the abuse will continue.  I literally never had a chargeback on any other platform and only 1 in 22 years selling with paypal- then ebay takes over and uses managed payments and i have had 6 in the last 4 years. that is not a coincidence.  Only one of them was won because it was cut and dry- item claimed not received but we had proof of delivery.   Everything else - Ebay just says is the cost of doing business- just not for them.  

Its true- a credit card company will accommodate it's customers with chargebacks and courtesy fee reversals because they know people can just switch to any other credit card- they value your business as a customer and want to keep you......ebay does not value or protect its customers-as in the runaround that ESG has gotten in this case here.    Ebay has long taken the stance that sellers are a dime a dozen and more will fill in when other leave.....but that has proven to not be the case as the platform is  at record low usage of buyers and sellers.    A seller is not just a seller- there are good ones and bad ones....there are sellers that bring great and unique products that draw in buyers, and there are sellers that just dropship junk from china and clog up the site. 

looks to me like @esg-enterprises  is one of the long standing sellers that has great unique and hard to find vintage and NOS car parts that are in high demand and sell consistently.  I would have thought that in an era when sellers have so many options and are even starting their own websites or using the many other selling platforms.....that ebay would want to service and take care of an issue like this quietly and right away instead of frustrating and ignoring the seller.  Thats just the wrong way to treat your customers if you want to keep them.  

I dont see the point in trying to cater to "higher end" buyers and focus categories if you are at the same time pushing away your best sellers that actually are the ones bringing in the buyers to ebay with their product.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply