cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OH BOY! New fees.......

Just read in the winter seller update that we are getting a new 10 cent per order over $10 fee.  I guess ebay needs the money. 😫

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: OH BOY! New fees.......

Soon, eBay will be exempt from providing sellers 1099K to the IRS, eBay is squeezing every penny out of them.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

This is greed at its finest. If only there was legitimate competition to eBay that would keep fee structures in check. They make billions in profit per year and just laid of 1,000 employees. Think about how many items per day sell on eBay, and they'll now get an extra 10 cents on every sale. This will likely result in 1 billion dollars or more in additional annual profit for them. It may be so successful that they'll probably raise it to 50 cents next year. This really hurts sellers, especially after the shipping price gouge (I am calling it what it is). So 2024 compared to 2023, already 10 cents more in fees per transaction and 25 cents more for shipping. These increases, most importantly, do not change how much buyers are willing to pay for items. And don't get me started on how much the cost of acquiring inventory has gone up. Every year, you have to work more and sell more to make the same amount of money. I'm tired of the **bleep** "inflation" excuse for everything. Call it what it is. Price gouging, profiteering, and greed. Eventually, the cost of acquiring, selling, and shipping an item will exceed the value of most items. The resale industry has a very grim future. Greed is killing it.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

"I was guessing that the easiest lever for them to pull would have been to make 3% the new minimum promoted listings amount as that probably would have generated a lot more revenue, so I guess it could have been worse."

Indeed.  
As a matter of fact, I've kind of been expecting that the next fee increase by eBay would be as part of the Per Order fee.  Last year's (February 15, 2023) 0.35% increase to the Final Value Fee (FVF) percentage in most categories is still causing consternation to some sellers.  The Per Order fee of $0.30 -- Thirty Cents -- Three Thin Dimes -- has been in effect for a very, very long time, so it seemed reasonable that eBay would increase the Per Order fee as the next detail of fee procedures to be revised.

Y'know, I'm no wizard, financial genius, or mathematician, but I learned through observation some 50 years ago that, in general, Prices Always Go Up.  That's just from paying attention to the prices I pay as a consumer, as a Head of Household. 

There are things in life that we just have to accept -- or completely give them up.  For example, I have chosen not to purchase anything from two specific drive-thru fast food chains anymore because their prices have just gone through the roof.  Both of those fast-food chains kind of kept me alive during my student-teaching days, with quick, drive-thru, inexpensive lunches.  But those days were more than 50 years ago. 

Some people may choose not to patronize certain retail chains or specific stores due to published religious or political philosophies.   Some people choose not to enter certain other retail stores because they simply have no need for or interest in the things they sell.   Some sellers may choose not to use eBay's platform after this (tiny) fee increase goes into effect.  

If any of my competitors fold their eBay tents and walk away because of this relatively minor change, I will wish them well, raise my prices by 25 cents, and wait for the buyers to find my listings.  

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

It's not a new fee, it just went from $0.30 to $0.40.

Have a great day
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@shado-x wrote:

have you not noticed the price of everything going up? be thankful its only .10

Yes, but the example eBay gave was if a card sold for $25, the fee imposed goes up $0.10.  Anyway we can get the card to sell for $26?  lol.

They could have raised it for everything.

At least the ones selling those $1 cards won't be affected.

Have a great day
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

i stand corrected....old fee increase

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

It's better than a fvf increase.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Someone had to design that previous ad we all saw where several people sat on a sofa with sparklers.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Great, now you just gave them a new game plan for next time.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

The think I don't like is when people don't use the cart and what 3 or 4 items combined and refunded. You paid the extra fees on the items because they were separate.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@jscar59 wrote:

The think I don't like is when people don't use the cart and what 3 or 4 items combined and refunded. You paid the extra fees on the items because they were separate.

That's where free shipping comes in handy, no dealing with buyers wanting combined shipping.

Have a great day
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Its 10 cents.  If it is more than your listings will tolerate, raise your pricing.

500 transactions will cost you an additional $50 in fees.  1,000 transactions would be $100, etc.

It could have been so much worse!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 27 of 27
latest reply