cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now I remember why I stopped selling on eBay years ego.

I used to have two power seller accounts on eBay years ego (early 2000s) with about $50,000 sales per month on each account. Then eBay decided to change their algorism to the so called "Best Match" and for some reason eBay became the Chinese seller flea market overnight. They seem to favor Chinese sellers who listed 50 thousand things a day on eBay for dirt cheap so basically, I gave up. 

Recently about few weeks ego I start selling on eBay again (under new account) and thing were going well. I am offering comparative pricing, free shipping and had no problems so far. But then I started realizing why I had stopped years ego.

1. My sells stopped over night to ZERO. They went from doing great for a new account to Zero overnight and I have NO idea why. Most my items are showing on top of first page with people watching and no apparent new sellers trying to beat me in price, etc. 
  2. Tried to call eBay support twice and gave up each time after 45 to 50-minute wait. 
  3. eBay holding $7000 of my cash and slowly releasing it even though my items have been delivered with no issues. If my buyers have received their orders with NO issues, why is eBay/PayPal still holding on to my money???? They are basically stopping my cash flow to a point that I am going to stop selling since I don't want to have problems paying my vendors who I buy from to sell on eBay. 
  4. Selling limits, selling limits, selling limits. Yes, I realize that PayPal/eBay are worried about scams. But my orders were received by my customers with no issues so far. 

Why do I feel like eBay punishes you or tries to hold you back when your account and selling is doing good? 

Very frustrating. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Now I remember why I stopped selling on eBay years ego.

I can't do much about the price I only make about $40 to $45 on each sale these parts are extremely expensive when I buy them. And that doesn't explain this sudden drop in sales to zero. These products had the same price in the last couple of weeks and have been selling like hotcakes. Why would it go to zero all of a sudden? It doesnt make any sense.
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

a

@mac-parts-usa wrote:
I can't do much about the price I only make about $40 to $45 on each sale these parts are extremely expensive when I buy them. And that doesn't explain this sudden drop in sales to zero. These products had the same price in the last couple of weeks and have been selling like hotcakes. Why would it go to zero all of a sudden? It doesnt make any sense.

Everyone who wanted one has already purchased it?

Were they all to sellers in states where schools start early?

Maybe you will have another surge when the East Coast school kids start gearing up?

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Thank you for that information. I will try that. Hopefully they won't put me on hold for 45 minutes like the last two times I tried calling.

Thank you...
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Yes, and they are all the same competitors. The only ones that sell lower than me are Chinese sellers but they were there before and I have seen them for months because I used to buy these parts from eBay myself before I start selling them.
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

These parts are mostly purchased by repair shops that need these parts all the time. It is mostly a B2B type of thing. It is not something that end user buys once and never buy again. There is a constant need for these parts. Same as iPad and iPhone screens.  I have a repair service myself and I use these parts every week. 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I looked at your sold listings. So your sales stopped "abruptly" after Friday (2 days ago, beginning of the weekend), on items that are used by businesses?

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@mac-parts-usa wrote:
Why would it go to zero all of a sudden? It doesnt make any sense.

I still contend it's a change in an eBay algorythem.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

a

@pburn wrote:

@mac-parts-usa wrote:
Why would it go to zero all of a sudden? It doesnt make any sense.

I still contend it's a change in an eBay algorythem.

Yes, but what type of algorythem would show the listings, be on page 1, have watchers, but no buyers.

Ebay is showing the items.  I looked at the items and see nothing preventing me from buying them if I wanted to.

So I still do not understand what this algorythem could be doing to this seller that suddenly stopped sales?

Repair shops buy them all the time?  But who buys from these repair shops?  And who do these parts cater to?

That is why I asked if repair shops are buying them to fix up computers for students, I could understand the rush for those starting in August.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Trying to ridicule the OP for spelling on 2 occasions does not help them. 

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Personally I would never buy any item if the seller cannot bother to post a picture of the item for sale.  

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@mac-parts-usa wrote:

Thank you for reply. I saw the image policy but not sure which part I am violating. 

@mac-parts-usa

Your images are supposed to be of the item you are selling. Your main picture is not allowed.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/images-text-policy?id=4240

When creating listings, members should write their own description and take their own photos. Buyers like to see images and descriptions that accurately represent an item they are purchasing. Learn more about adding photos to your listing and writing a good title and description.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370

Not allowed Not allowed

• Including photos that don't accurately represent the item for sale
  • Placeholder images used to convey messages, such as no image available, or out of stock, or other marketing messages
  • Stock photos for used, damaged or defective items
  • Adding borders to your photos
  • Using a picture that is less than 500 pixels on the longest side
  • Adding additional text, artwork, or marketing to photos
  • Watermarks of any type, including those used for ownership attribution

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 26 of 26
latest reply