cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing is Selling, Nothing is Working to fix it. No sales Sept 2018

No Sales, Nothing is selling, Nothing is working

I have been selling here about 18 years , this is the worst 4 months I have ever seen on ebay. I understand that they are trying to stay competitive in this market. I already know about all the tweeks and photos and blah blah blah, 

I called ebay and asked them what they could do for me not only am I a seller but a buyer. Nothing Nothing Nothing.

The best I got was from a rep that said Promote your listings. I even got all the way up to an ebay superviser. Nothing

I am not sure how all this is going to pan out. I like to put my money where it makes money, Not a bottomless pit of fees. It looks as though ebay may turn in to a bottomless pit. I will give you my best advice.

1. First four words in your title make it count. Ex. Nike T Shirt Red

2. Four to six White background photos. Google likes that

3. If you got a upc fill it in. REALLY

4.Specs They are there to do the job for buyers to find your product. USE Them REALLY

5. Freeshipping. NO CHOICE

6.Accept returns, You'll have to anyway they flash the INAD and they get it anyway.

So While we are making no money we can correct our errored sites that worked for so long.

China , they will never accept free returns as it cost 17.98 to return and item to them that they sold for 0.01 , with free shipping. They just over sell us , My point if your items are in competition with 0.01 and free shipping, Change your product you can't win. 

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Nothing is Selling, Nothing is Working to fix it. No sales Sept 2018

Divide & conquer. The heard has been thinned on eBay because of other competition elsewhere.  

eBay is no longer the only game in town.   Its an old shopping mall competing with the nice flashy new mall across town. Like every other old mall, it's slowly dying. 

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

@grayirongolf wrote:

Divide & conquer. The heard has been thinned on eBay because of other competition elsewhere.  

eBay is no longer the only game in town.   Its an old shopping mall competing with the nice flashy new mall across town. Like every other old mall, it's slowly dying. 

You act like this is natural. This doesn't HAVE TO HAPPEN. Ebay is actively causing this to happen.

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

I'm experiencing the same problem! Sales are down 30% for the last 3 months AND I'm constantly listing items. I've increased inventory from 1100 items to 1300 items and had a decrease in sales. Jan and Feb were my best months ever and then came the ebay changes causing sales to drop and continuing  to drop. I've kept up with free shipping, seller pays for returns, and everything else ebay asks for - NO HELP! Is there a change in the internet market? Are more people buying from Amazon and other sites? Is ebay marketing lacking and losing market share? SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH EBAY!

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

"I am in the process of refurbishing ten plant sites throughout the US to make repurposed items from discarded items."

-------------

Hello.

Am I remembering correctly?

Are you the poster who was here about 6 months ago, who was talking about making buildings out of scrapped wooden pallets?

Thanks,

Lylnn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 34 of 50
latest reply

Shoppers find stuff by searching text.  Spelling needs to be accurate.  The first listing I opened spelled the brand name wrong (Lopes instead of Lopez) and spelled "Sequins" and "Sequence".  That's not gonna help.

The tag photographed looks like you got it at huge clearance from Kohls.  That's just unappealing.  Why show it?

If you're not selling stuff, change things around.  Work it.  Don't blame eBay - just work it.  Try lowering prices.  Try taking away "free shipping" and reduce prices a lot and charge it with calculated.

This listing: price is WAY high plus the title is misleading.  Looks like you are offering total of 8 panties per order, not 4.  Two 4-packs.  But yeah, 30 bucks is drastically high on that.  One quick google search shows me a liquidator selling them for 3 bucks a pack.  Any of your shoppers can do the same search. Or they can go to Target and get a FOTL 4-pack of bikinis for under 10 bucks.

We are all responsible for our own successes.  Study the market.  Understand the options that shoppers have when they browse for the same things you are selling.  

Message 35 of 50
latest reply

Thank you for you diligent work investigating my listings. As I said in the begging I am spending my time going threw the listing and removing and fixing errors. So yeah I know there are some errors. Also I don't buy from Walmart or Kohls, I buy liquidations overstock. Also no reason not to show the tag I am sending it with the tag there is nothing to hide, These are brand new items. Also you are on the FOTL because you sell underwear, Vanity Fair which is a 3 pack for 3.99 at Ross or Marshalls , The situation here isn't a few errors on listings, Each listing has a best offer on it. Lowering the price and adding shipping may work for you but it doesn't rank you up in listings. Customers also can add so your theory lower price add shipping is not only not a good idea it is the worst idea if you are trying to get your product seen. My pricing strategies are fine, People buying online know that cost are including in the price. Thank you for your effort.
Message 36 of 50
latest reply

Ebay has and this is an estimate 175 million users, Amazon 300 million users, Ebay is trying to stay competitive in the online market place. This is good for every seller. Etsy is also making changes, They have to stay competitive or there will be no Ebay venue to sell on. These changes especially the ones I mentioned in the begging are necessary, I think Ebay will turn around but it is going to be alot of fees, When a Customer Service Rep tells me to promote my listings than yea , Trending rates on those 6-12% for me because of diverse merchandise. With the added FFV it makes it costly to sell. I don't offer free returns , I do accept 30 day returns. I can't compensate for that with the other fees I pay. You have a nice store and good prices, Instead of relisting you might want to try sell similar to give the listing a fresh update google likes that, I can only remove my items as they are going off and sell similar and fix errors ect.. The updates they are doing this month is catalog. Good luck to you.
Message 37 of 50
latest reply

@starmr25 wrote:
My pricing strategies are fine, People buying online know that cost are including in the price.

Not trying to be mean, but if, as you say, your pricing strategies are fine, why are you here complaining about 'no sales'?

If you don't want help and don't want to change anything suggested,  then just say you're only here to vent.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 38 of 50
latest reply

I tried Sell similar instead of relisting and it didn't seem to make a difference. What really gets me is the sudden BIG drop in sales over the last 4 months. Something has changed with ebay! I list new, used, and try to keep prices below Amazon  or I try to be the lowest on ebay and I just can't find a solution. I'm trying Promoted Listing on all new listings to see if that helps. If it does, I guess it's just ebay's way of getting more money from sellers. It's easier to take money from sellers than it is to increase the volume of sales!

Message 39 of 50
latest reply

Thank you that is what I have been trying to say, Nothing I do is working and Ebay themselves told me Promote the listings.
Message 40 of 50
latest reply

I didn't swallow the Kool-Aid and I don't use Free shipping (except in very rare cases) or Free Returns, and when they brought in Guaranteed Delivery I went to 2 day handling so they'd leave me alone.

I also never bother using their Promoted Listings even though I get $30 a quarter credit for them.

And yet I'm selling - go figure.

Fwiw I also sell (a lot of) toys & kid stuff, but I'm not greedy. I'm happy to double my outlay and roll a lot more stock over (on those items).

Maybe you should consider reassessing your pricing structure.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 41 of 50
latest reply

Hey, Sherry!  That Toothpaste Empire was a HUGE (YUUGE) undertaking - I remember the 4 bananamillion big clunky candles.  I have two stores here and three stores elsewhere. I'm stretched really thin, but it appears the name of the game in clothing now that you've got to spread the wealth because the market is also spreading out - particularly the secondary market - eBay is still my chief endeavour, though. In its chase to be Amazon eBay missed a big opportunity to harness the gray market and become THE dominant player - it needn't have taken up all of their resources, but a nod to the new direction this country is taking in reusing and recycling would have been a nice money-maker, but I'm not the boss around here, I'm only the boss of me so what I think doesn't make any difference (except to me).  eBay is STILL the place to go for the rare collectible in whatever category, though, so I'm still junkin'

I've sold everything under the sun here, too, in the last 18 years, including 4 small estates (miss doing that).

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 42 of 50
latest reply

Odd balls do sell.  It's the cookie cutter's that sit forever. 

Message 43 of 50
latest reply

What really gets me is the sudden BIG drop in sales over the last 4 months. Something has changed with ebay!

yep, that's been a complaint for the 14 yrs I've been here.........what I did last wk, month, year doesn't work anymore, why does ebay hate sellers?  I could do 4/5 paragraphs on what could be the reasons/solutions........but the main point would be, sellers who are having the problem have to change, ebay isn't going to.....at least not immediately...

That's not usually what people that post want to hear, so I won't bore you with it.......if you "get" the main point, most sellers can come up with improvements (in fact, nearly all of us can)........that can help sales. 

Message 44 of 50
latest reply

Very smart it is truly out of our control and not a permanent set back, eBay is still the best platform,subtle changes ,they've changed the rules in the middle of the game (it is very subtle you really have to be paying attention) (the eBayer that buys the factories that probably never sold anything them self on eBay that left a post here someplace, respectfully the explanation being given it's a mostly a false narrative that i have heard from many posters that never sold anything on eBay them self nearly exactly like that (baby boomers downsizing narrative),this has always been in play,this is an acute drop in sales caused by the changes) all these posts(baby boomers downsizing narrative) the posters seem to have a "Grand Knowledge", factory buyer or not i don't think they ever sold anything them self on eBay),these very subtle changes over the last 6 months very counter intuitive to sales (i wrote many many posts in tech issues it matters) you smell the coffee to,until November hang tough,sporting goods are a very good business used new it doesn't matter.
Message 45 of 50
latest reply