cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not selling much lately

Guys, I have not been selling much lately, for the last few months, I had less than 10 sales per month, when, till a few months ago, used to have over 20 per month. Did anything change? I´ve seen that I can add a % of money that I am willing to pay for every sale I make if I want more exposure, etc...but its too much money for the actual % of extra expure...is there anything else besides that that they changed? Thank you up front for any advice and/or tips.

Gus

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Not selling much lately

@grasshopperx wrote:

Me too Kathie! I consider ebay no better then the ranch now.  And that's sad! 20 year seller. They threw me into the new seller hub this morning( I opted Out) . But I giggled to myself? Why bother? I never sell anything!  it's really sad. What a joke the two large E sites have become. total waste of time.  I usually sell high end dolls, but have an entire house  full of items I could list. I wont bother wasting my time. Because I've tried it, and nothing works.

I put up 8 more new listings this morning  but sadly I've lost that hopeful feeling   so it wasn't much fun.  . I already had dozens of other listings with multiple watchers  but  all they ever do is watch,, day in and day out. . So I don't expect  my new stuff will do any better than that either . Seems nowadays about the only two things sellers can really count on  are the never ending glitches and a sellers fee bill once a month. 😞   Tulips 

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio wrote:

Personally i do agree with you to a degree Red rose... However years ago in the 1970's and 1980's 

the female of the wedding party got invited to be on their friends bridal party and when it was time for her to do the same, she had to outdo and spend even more to top her friends...Guys like me dont really care as we hire a suit and tie shine our shoes  and that is it.... Wedding dresses are over the top as they are for the 1 occassion and then packed in moth balls for the rest of its life... Me personally , i spent less than 1500.00

on my wedding as we went to a justice of the peace and later to dinner with a few close friends..Nobody needs a lavish wedding that you are only going to get yukky presents that dont go with the decor of the home...Those items can be bought in ebay to suit oneself...All that money on the wedding can go on the house deposit and knick knacks we bought in ebay to decorate the house with... If girls would not want to outdo each other, there would be plenty of money for ebay.... Now redrose, we personally eat out every night and it is way cheaper than buying groceries that go rotton.... We spend on an average of 20.00 per night ( including the tip ) and where can you get a weeks worth of groceries for under $140.00??? IT DOES NOT EXIST!!!! We even sometimes take home leftovers and have it for lunch the next day..So dont say eating out is too expensive unless you want to only go to places that you have to be dressed to the 9's and hold your little pinky finger when cutting ones food just to be a snob...lol...By eating at places like where i do is gives me more money to buy items i want on ebay.... Now leasing cars is just rediculous as at the end of the lease, you have nothing for it...That is why i say buy the car outright and at least you have a title with your name on it and you own it and not some finance company... I guess kids of today just dont get it and like to spend what they dont have...I am of the old school and only spend what i can afford.... On top of that, kids and cell phones has gone way out f hand....The again like to oudo each other and buy the most expensive and new item where on ebay you can find them at a fraction of the price in a store.... Even if the phone is pre loved and the person just wants to upgrade, all you need is a new sim card which is easily available for a fraction of the cost... You can take this which ever way you want to but being in my 60's, i have seen it all and large weddings are a complete waste.... Go to a JP and have it done in a courthouse...It may cost you $100.00 or so and the rest of the money you would have wastedcan be spent on ebay buying stuff for the house if you dont have them already... OIO

I sort of agree with you .Although  big weddings are nice.  It's better to spend the money  on the things you'll need after it's over . We spent a small fortune on our wedding  and it really wasn't worth it in the long run  . The wedding and the reception were very nice  but the honeymoon  wasn't  very much fun. I wish I had known beforehand that I get seasick ,, bad . The boat was dark , dank, musty   and there wasn't much to do for people our age at the time on board .. When you get home  you find yourself stepping three feet over every threshold for a few days   but at least your stomach feels better . 🙂  Tulips 

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

Yep. me also...second marriage was at a registry office in Australia and saved all the money on that **bleep** wedding that you have to invite people you never see in the family...On top of that, people that class themselves as friends and only come to get drunk and it cost the bride and groom a good 80.00 per person to be there... Marriage celebrations are a farce and a complete waste of money now...I hope this generation growing up avoids them like the plague and just elopes or does similar...

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

Wow, $1500. for a wedding is extravagant in my book.  I know I had less than $400. in mine and most of that was the honeymoon!Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

It's official now - July 2019 was the lowest sales month in 20 years on eBay.    However, July 2018 was my best July in 20 years.  Yes, the collectibles marketplace is not what it used to be.  However, that does not let eBay off the hook.  The changes they have made over the past 18 months have disadvantaged many sellers in the used or vintage categories.  

I will also never understand why Asian sellers are allowed free reign - clogging the search engine on the US eBay site, while the UK, Australia, and Canada among others have their own site and are identified as international sellers on the US site while Asian sellers are not.  

eBay needs all of the fees that the Asian market generates, to keep the revenue stream flowing.  I think at some crossover point (which we may see by Q4) the real damage this is doing to U.S. sellers (and eBay overall) will be more obvious. 

The declining GMV writing is on the wall. 

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

Wait until the sales tax hits the rest of the states. Then there will really be a decline.

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

My sales have been down for the past three months by 60%.  May and June were terrible as those were 70%.   I noticed were that views were down as well. Another thing I found strange is that in the past four months when I checked the buyers requirements log that there weren't any blocked buyers.  I have never seen that in the past eight years where no one had blocked by my buyer's requirements.  And that was for all three of our accounts.  I don't know if that's a glitch or if there isn't any traffic.

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

Yes sales are very slow for me as well and I will probably cancel all my items soon and look for another site to sell on going forward.

Ebay has no real sales strategy, they want to increase the price on their seller's via Listing and Final Value fee's, pushing their own payment systems, promoted listings (or you really do not get views in my experience)  and if you do not have a store, pushing for that as well.

Essentially, they are making their money off their seller's and foreign negotiations for product placement.

Also, as of late, they are limiting free listings for non store seller's pushing the free two month store offer.

They push promoted listings so you get more views then offer selling tips that say lower your price, meaning embrace a volume pricing strategy to sell your stuff for nothing, then pay us jacked up fee's so you make nothing.

This assumes of course your promoted listings even get views, there is something fundamentally wrong with this site now, you can name it new algorithms or a broken search function or something more sinister but make no mistake this site is broken now.

Happy some are still selling and that is fine but I am tired of this **bleep** and will soon move along!

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

I don't understand why the items not goods value and quality. Cared by many peoples

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

wow you nailed it laura!! Depressing is exactly what this has been all year. I used to feel badly if I didn't use up every free listing they threw my way. But 3 months ago I told myself to let it go. Don't waste one more minute kicking yourself over not listing all 200 or whatever number they gave. I list new when I feel hopeful about eBay again. Mostly just relisting item using "sell similar" only. Dang, it's so hard now to make sales, all the new rules & changes are hurting us all.
So, chin up, plod along & be very thankful for any sales we get. Good luck everyone-maybe tomorrow (8-11) will bring us a boatload of buyers! happy thoughts.....
Message 40 of 47
latest reply

Having been here over 17 years now I have watched Ebay go from super lucrative to almost non existent. As each year passed sales got lower and lower. I kept thinking they will make some changes for the better but instead the changes here are always worse. I still believe sales can be made IF your items get visibility. Not sure if the new searches, too many sellers , issues between google and Ebay or something else is to blame but I am sure there is a problem here that the company does not care to address. Wish they would be more transparent about this but they seem to be only concerned about how to show the investors a profit regardless of how it could be hurting the company long term!

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

@laurabeardsley wrote:

Having been here over 17 years now I have watched Ebay go from super lucrative to almost non existent. As each year passed sales got lower and lower. I kept thinking they will make some changes for the better but instead the changes here are always worse. I still believe sales can be made IF your items get visibility. Not sure if the new searches, too many sellers , issues between google and Ebay or something else is to blame but I am sure there is a problem here that the company does not care to address. Wish they would be more transparent about this but they seem to be only concerned about how to show the investors a profit regardless of how it could be hurting the company long term!

E bay  should be changed to Baywatch .  😞  Tulips

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

the steady roll-over of GTC has made the whole site stale.  

Unless you catch the roll-off, and make some changes, it's ugly.

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

The last 2 weeks have been my worst ever. 

you said it!!!!!!!

Been selling for 15 years - this is really terrible.

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

I laughed reading your post.  We both came from a very thrifty families and my husband was the one who wanted the church wedding.    He came from a large Italian family so no way  would a civil ceremony be an option. Fortunately,  as he and I had already been together for a number of years we didn't really need wedding gifts and kept our event small with expenses to a minimum.  I was thankful that he and I were agreed on keeping expenses down. Aside my my dress it was $1500 total.  It included our flowers, pictures, and a buffet dinner for our 50 guests.  It was because our parents had friends in the restaurant catering business and the photographer was a close friend from school who gifted us pictures at cost. As a skilled crafter I handmade all our wedding favors.

Message 45 of 47
latest reply