cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not as described chargeback reversed! First time in 20 years!

I had a buyer file a not as described chargeback September of last year. They bypassed ebay returns and went straight to the chargeback. I uploaded my evidence and instructed the buyer to return the item. They buyer never returned the item and was refunded in December. 

I just checked my messages to see the chargeback was reversed in my favor! This is the first time this has happened in my 20 year selling history. I'm posting this to share that it seems like for the first time in decades the chargeback rules are changing and becoming more seller friendly! 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Not as described chargeback reversed! First time in 20 years!

That is GREAT news.  Congratulations.  Did the email notification give you any hints as to why it was reversed?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Maybe the credit card companies finally figured out that small businesses will close or stop taking cards (same thing in the long run these days) if not protected from fraud ?  Maybe eBay finally figured out that socking said small businesses/sellers wasn't good long-term business strategy.  They may be chasing off one new seller too many on a monthly basis.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Wishful thinking.  But I would be interested in hearing what they told the OP about why they refunded.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

There was no reason. Here's what the message said... 

Good news! The buyer's payment institution reversed the dispute outcome in your favor. We’ll refund that was deducted from your funds. You don’t owe anything and you’re not required to take any further action on this dispute at this time.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@worldwide_ship wrote:

Good news! The buyer's payment institution reversed the dispute outcome in your favor. We’ll refund that was deducted from your funds. You don’t owe anything and you’re not required to take any further action on this dispute at this time.

Well Darn it.  You'd think they could at least give us a hint.  I am however VERY glad you got your money returned.  🎉

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I know when a customer files a dispute with their credit card company, they automatically give a refund to the buyer/customer.

In turn, eBay would put your funds on hold until they hear from the credit card company.

When you lose, they take the funds from you and it's then a done deal.

Maybe this buyer/customer has had too many disputes and the credit card company got wise of what they were doing and reversed the dispute.

That's what the message from eBay said,

"The buyer's payment institution reversed the dispute outcome in your favor".

JMHO

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

You better go buy a Powerball ticket for tonight....This may really be your luck day.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I won a chargeback also.

Because a seller is basically communicating with the buyer's bank a seller has to be polite and careful what is said. I basically told the bank usually only 120 days are allowed for chargebacks per going on the internet. Understandably, some banks might ignore that statement... I also stated that "this bank might get in trouble for trying to go beyond 120 days". As long as you upload something for documentation it could be a win for the seller...but a seller has to put something in the documentation...otherwise, it won't work or go through...putting anything in there.

My email from eBay: "The buyer's payment institution sided with you and there's nothing else you need to do."

"A decision has been made about the dispute that has been filed by-----."

"The dispute was found in your favor".

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@dentalsales4u 

"I know when a customer files a dispute with their credit card company, they automatically give a refund to the buyer/customer."

NO they don't.  There is a process.  Now if the buyer filed for not as described, those are much harder to win other than an INR or don't recognize.  But NO buyers do not "automatically" get a refund.

Wait, you said the buyer is automatically refunded, so what is to lose?  Oh wait, maybe you mean when a customer puts a charge on their credit card in dispute, the CCC puts that amount on hold.  It is NOT refunded to the buyer, it is placed in limbo while the claim is processed.  But the buyer doesn't have to pay that amount yet.

I've been fortunate enough to win the Chargeback disputes filed against me over the years.  I know that isn't always the outcome for others, but for me so far it is true.

Your guessing without any facts as to why the money was refunded to the seller.  It could have been for any number of reasons and we will likely never know.  You are reading something into what the CCC said that isn't even there.  

You are certainly reading something into the quote below to mean something that was NOT even said "Maybe this buyer/customer has had too many disputes and the credit card company got wise of what they were doing and reversed the dispute.  That's what the message from eBay said, "The buyer's payment institution reversed the dispute outcome in your favor".

It does not appear that any of us knows why the funds were refunded to include the OP.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@worldwide_ship wrote:

I wonder if the buyer pulled the tactic one too many times and his c.c. company went back to research the history and they decided their customer is a scammer.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Actually they do.

I'm not sure If you have filed any but I have done a few.

The financial institution gives the buyer an immediate refund. However, it may be reversed when final decision is made.

If the final decision is in buyer favor then it remains as is.

If it's seller favor then the funds are deducted from the buyer for a second time.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Wishful thinking.  But I would be interested in hearing what they told the OP about why they refunded.

I agree, much more likely it's a once-in-a-lifetime refund because the credit card company found that their client was abusing the privilege or some such cause and effect.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Congratulations on the win for NAD chargebacks the seller almost never wins and the item is seldom returned. However, don't get too excited to the best of my knowledge Congress has not revised the current laws that are in place, although it really needs to be done. 

Neither the financial institution or eBay are going to provide you the specific details of why you prevailed only that you did so. CC companies hate chargebacks as much as anyone since it utilizes resources that eats into their bottom line. The CC companies will often have internal monitoring, as others mentioned, to watch for signs of abuse of the process and will sometimes suspend card holders accounts if the notice abuse of the chargeback process. They also monitor merchant records for excessive chargeback cases and may revoke a merchants authority for utilizing their cards for an accepted payment method. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

Actually they do.

I'm not sure If you have filed any but I have done a few.

The financial institution gives the buyer an immediate refund. However, it may be reversed when final decision is made.

If the final decision is in buyer favor then it remains as is.

If it's seller favor then the funds are deducted from the buyer for a second time.

I have had the occasion to file a Chargeback.  The credit card company does remove the charge from the amount owed at the time on the card, but it goes into a Pending status waiting for the determination on the Chargeback.  The card holder also doesn't have to pay any interest on the amount while pending.  

It doesn't get removed from pending unless the Chargeback is ruled for the card holder.  Then it goes poof.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply