cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-paying bidders

I have wasted endless hours reporting a buyer to ebay via phone calls and written chats. It has accomplished nothing. I was seller #25 to not receive payment within the previous month and several others followed. Read his negative "positive" feedback and block him from your sales, especially if you sell comic books. Ebay will do nothing but you can.

It used to be 3 strikes and non-paying bidders were out. Now it's very different. Ebay will not remove a paying buyer, even if he pays once out of every 10 winning bids. And, what's happening with cases against non-paying bidders???

Block bidder and save yourself a lot of time and effort.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Non-paying bidders

Thanks for your thoughtful advice. It is definitely ebay's party.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 25 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Non-paying bidders

Instead of violating Ebay policies, if you and those other sellers would cancel the orders for nonpayment, the buyer would be blocked by most sellers.

But, you guys would rather make yourselves look bad and leave negative comments in their feedback.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

the bidder's name alone sends a red flag

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

Did you file the non-paying cancellation?  Based on your experience I'm surprised you would waste time on this and violate policy on feedback yourself.

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

I have wasted endless hours reporting a buyer to ebay via phone calls and written chats.

@exlibristoo 

Wow. When four clicks would have 1) Cancelled the sale, 2) Cited that the 'Buyer didn't pay', 3) Confirmed and 4) Submitted.

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

@exlibristoo wrote: .... I was seller #25 to not receive payment within the previous month and several others followed. ...

Nonpaying buyers are easily stopped: Wait 4 days, cancel the transaction based on "Buyer hasn't paid," and they get a nonpayment strike. Then you and your fellow comics sellers can set up your site preferences to block bidders/buyers who have gotten 2 or more strikes in the past 12 months. That's far more efficient than ranting to each other (and here) and spending hours on the phone with customer support, who can't do anything about it.

The "3 strikes and you're out" policy disappeared at about the same time as when eBay set up the option to block members based on their strikes history.   An increasing proportion of sellers have all of their items set up as fixed price listings with "Immediate payment required," and they don't care how many strikes a buyer has.

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

The amount of non-payers and after-payment cancellations this December have been something of legend for me. 

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I certainly canceled his order.  It was only a $10 sale for  me but I felt I could help other sellers avoid selling to this non-payer. I always leave negative positive feedback, thinking other sellers will benefit from my mistake. Guess you think it's a waste of time. Fine. Don't read feedback and don't block sellers.

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

Indeed.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

I filed the non-paying cancellation. I certainly am willing to violate feedback policy in my somewhat feeble attempt to warn other sellers. Clearly, most are not interested. 

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

Of course I did your "4 click" procedure. I understand how ebay works after 24 yrs. I don't understand, however, why ebay won't remove chronically delinquent non-payers.

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

@exlibristoo wrote:

I have wasted endless hours reporting a buyer to ebay via phone calls and written chats. It has accomplished nothing. I was seller #25 to not receive payment within the previous month and several others followed. Read his negative "positive" feedback and block him from your sales, especially if you sell comic books. Ebay will do nothing but you can.

Wow... I was looking at that guy's feedback before his ID was removed from here, and it is indeed truly staggering, to the point that I decided spend a few minutes walking through his Feedback as a Buyer pages to see what the numbers of false Positives from irate sellers actually are, taking these pages 200 feedbacks at a time:

Page 1: 82 non-payments out of 200 (Past 6 months)

Page 2: 85 non-payments out of 200 (Past 6 months)

Page 3: 16 non-payments out of 200 (Past year)

There are another 500-600 older comments on later pages, all Positives at a glance.

The oldest 16 seller complaints on Page 3 of his buyer feedback end abruptly between 6-12 months ago, beyond which the older comments are all clean, so what I think happened here is that someone else took over the account. Maybe Junior took over after Grandpa died, something like that. Currently there are some genuine Positives interspersed with a sea of false Positives, so as near as I can tell, Junior was simply bidding on multiple auctions and then ignoring the ones that ended too high.

Significantly, there are plenty of mentions by various sellers of cancelling beyond four days, at which time this deadbeat would presumably have received an Unpaid slap each time. (i.e. If the seller waits beyond four days and then cancels with the reason of Buyer Did Not Pay, that slap should have been automatically applied, without the seller needing to do anything more about it themselves.)

I don't know what the default settings are on seller accounts regarding screening of Unpaids, but this deadbeat looks as if he should have been blocked by even the most lenient setting, and yet he's still here. It's hard to say what you have to do as a buyer in order to get yourself booted from eBay, but apparently buying and not paying for things is no longer a real violation.

devon@ebay : Can you find out what the story is about this kind of deadbeat? If you don't have his user ID already, I'm sure the OP can provide it to you, or just send me a PM. He seems to be a poster child for unwanted eBay users, and despite the OP telling us that he's called Customer Service repeatedly (which I know would be your default recommendation), that buyer is still here and rather active.

While I know you cannot discuss specific cases, what would be interesting to know is why a horrendous record of documented non-payment does not seem to be grounds for dismissal.

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

The folks on here are interested in your point of view and understand your outrage. We see this issue in the forum regularly.

I believe the point others are trying to get  across is that, in your efforts to warn other sellers in Feedback, you set yourself up to be sanctioned by eBay for violating policy. It is not worth it. Your listings can be lowered in Search results, for example. While it is outrageous that a seller can get into trouble, while the buyer is free to wreak havoc, one must still abide by the rules we agreed to follow despite what others are doing. 

Additionally, it may be a waste of your valuable time to make multiple complaints because it does not ensure greater success in getting a buyer removed. It doesn’t help to bring the problem to light any faster. One report per incident is likely enough for the buyer to get on eBay’s radar. If each different seller did so, there might be a cumulative effect then. Regardless, we’ll never know what actions against the offender eBay takes when a buyer gets reported, unless he gets NARU’d. 

I hate to see your outrage get you in trouble with eBay. It is unfair. But this is not our party—it’s eBay’s. It is the buyer’s interests that are protected on this platform, not the sellers.

As for warnings in feedback, they are ineffective in that most sellers won’t vet a buyer prior to a sale. Unless a seller uses auctions or Best Offers, there is no opportunity to do so. And what seller wants to research every buyer on the off chance they might be s problem? Most transactions go off without a hitch. It is not reasonable to attempt vetting every buyer. Very few will see those warnings.

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

@a_c_green 

Devon has been rather MIA lately.  I have tagged them twice on different issues and no replies. He's usually very good about replying.  Hoping he's okay and perhaps just on vacation or something. 

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

Non-paying bidders

@ckimodog wrote:

@a_c_green 

Devon has been rather MIA lately.  I have tagged them twice on different issues and no replies. He's usually very good about replying.  Hoping he's okay and perhaps just on vacation or something. 

Maybe so. I'm pretty sure that the Community contacts work regular California office hours anyway, and are not in on the weekends (I mean the eBay contacts, not the Khoros moderators), so I'm just adding to his stack here, and not really expecting any kind of reply before Monday at the earliest.

There's also the open discussion coming up next Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. PST (no fixed topic), so we could float this item there as well.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply