cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reason for item being deemed "inauthentic"

I just had a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes bounced back by an authenticator. In the message it says the reason was "they could not be authenticated," which is totally vague and unhelpful.

When I called customer service to find out more information as to why these shoes were bounced back they gave me the same answer and would not elaborate saying that - "it might help me better sell fakes in the future."  What a joke and a complete waste of my time. I have an excellent record of selling on Ebay for over 22 years and this is answer I get? If you are going to say an item is inauthentic, you had best give a reason as to why.

I would accept it if I was somehow fooled by a very good fake or if I made an error on my listing but this non-answer is unacceptable. I have sold many designer shoes in the past and I quite capable of telling a fake from an authentic pair. I do not sell fakes. It's no wonder Ebay is losing it's market share of online sales because they treat sellers like garbage. This is nonsense and I'm livid. I will most certainly putting in more effort in the future into selling on other platforms.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: No reason for item being deemed "inauthentic"

Oooo - you're right.  What up with the listing I was seeing - red spikey heels?!  🤔  

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

It's just really messed up that they cannot provide a reason why the item was not confirmed when I am clearly not a counterfeiter looking to replicate shoes. Anyway thank you for your replies. I've cooled off and it is what it is. This is the reselling experience here so it is what it is.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

It's definitely annoying, but the designer market is complicated and eBay, like other platforms, is battling a siege of counterfeits.

The fashion board can help - they've got some very sharp people there used to dealing with designer brands. That's where I go for help!

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

So what you are implying is real or counterfeit really should not matter. If you own it you have the right to sell it and buyer beware!

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Authentication for the most is not an exact science and every market place is under extreme scrutiny to comply and not allow the resale of fakes. It isn’t personal but just another pair of shoes amount thousands to be authenticated. 
Contrary to what is stated authentication can be an exact science with many new goods as they are embedded with RFID information that is used by many brands own retail outlets. Bring your Gucci item to one of their stores and they can scan it and it it is authentic, when and where it was made etc.  unfortunately they don’t share this technology or capability or will allow people to bring them merchandise for authentication 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

That was NOT what I said. sheeesh.

Way to twist words.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@niceguyandre wrote:

“…I was actually told after a second call to customer service that Ebay cannot give a specific reason for them being deemed "inauthentic"…”

It is likely a waste of your time to call the overseas customer service. They have no authority to help problem-solve, are ill-trained, read from scripts, or worse, they are known to make up stuff as they go along.

I would recommend trying the far more helpful reps on eBay for Business Facebook page. Send a private message with a brief outline of your concern. You might find some answers there.

I'm still furious because on all accounts they seem quite authentic to me and now I'm out a sale and a customer...”

What was the provenance of the Louboutin sneakers? Do you have receipts or official documentation that can back you up?  If so, i would send copies to the Facebook reps if you decide to reach out to them. 

Since they said the shoes could not be authenticated, that could well be one among multiple reasons, including that there wasn't an expert on hand to verify authenticity. Whatever the problem, this was clearly not your fault. Not a reflection on your stellar reputation. If you can sell them once, choose another venue and sell them again rather than allow this situation with eBay to get to you. Best of luck to you, and sorry this happened.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

About 8 years ago I was fortunate to find a Judith Lieber mini crystal handbag at a Thrift store in Los Angeles. I did all the research I could on the bag and finally took it to the Judith Lieber store in Beverly Hills. The sales person was very nice marveled at my find, which still had the price I paid for it attached. She took the time to explain to me and other customers present why my bag was real. The bag was vintage in excellent condition no missing crystals, no mark on the leather lining, and attached chain. The only problem was it was missing the original box. After leaving the JL store I decided to sell the purse. I had heard about this place called THE&eal&eal on Melrose in West Hollywood. I gave my purse to the authenticator and within minutes I was told it was a fake and that they would have to confiscate it. I kindly demanded to see the manager of the store who was reluctant at first until she found out I had a business card from the Judith Lieber store. The manager contacted JL and was informed that my purse was authentic. I almost had to file a police report to get my $1000.00+ valued bag back. Months later I started hearing about complaints from others that had their items confiscated by the store and never returned. I was one of the lucky one.

Did you get your shoes back?

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Interesting story. I've sold with TRR before but had a bad experience last time and won't be back. 

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@ebeths_eclectic_collectibles wrote:

Authentication for the most is not an exact science and every market place is under extreme scrutiny to comply and not allow the resale of fakes. It isn’t personal but just another pair of shoes amount thousands to be authenticated. 
Contrary to what is stated authentication can be an exact science with many new goods as they are embedded with RFID information that is used by many brands own retail outlets. Bring your Gucci item to one of their stores and they can scan it and it it is authentic, when and where it was made etc.  unfortunately they don’t share this technology or capability or will allow people to bring them merchandise for authentication 

Exactly.  This was cited at the Shop Safe Act committee meeting, I saw them.  Many manufacturers refuse to share the data technology and mechanisms thereof with online marketplace points of sale.  They cite distrust as the reasoning and instead subcontract firms that spider the marketplaces via automation having gifted them the dat technologies to spot potential infringing products.  Those entities they entrust to help and/or go after point of sale/resellers.  It only serves logical that if the marketplaces had the data technologies to spot potential infringing items that those entities be out of business.  Thus there is conflict of interest in those entities IMHO even speaking before the Senate Committee.  

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@niceguyandre wrote:

I'm still furious because on all accounts they seem quite authentic to me and now I'm out a sale and a customer. With that in mind, I will no longer sell items that need to pass through Ebay's authentication process because it's not worth time, headache and cost to my reputation. I will most certainly list these shoes on another platform when I receive them back. Thanks for your replies, folks.

Respectfully, saying they "seem"authentic implies that you didn't personally purchase the shoes from an authorized CL retailer. Had you bought from (for example) Saks or Neiman Marcus, you would KNOW they're authentic! 

Although there's nothing wrong with obtaining inventory from yard sales, thrift stores, relatives or even dumpsters, it's never a good idea to try to flip a highly faked brand/item without verifying its legality. 

Having bought and sold designer bags for years, I've gotten pretty good at determining quality even on brands that aren't in my bailiwick. But for those items, I verify authenticity before listing them. 

I personally found what I was a well-made bag at a thrift store. It was supposed to be a Prada but after 2 professional authentications, it was determined to be counterfeit. Fortunately, I'd never listed it and was able to return it for an exchange. 

OTOH, I've found other gorgeous (and authentic) items for bargain prices because the thrift store pricing clerks didn't recognize the treasures they had! 

@niceguyandre wrote:

Thanks for the completely unhelpful reply basically repeating what I said in my follow up and what others have said before. My record of 22+ years selling here speaks for itself and I'm clearly not in the business counterfeit items. 

A rude reply to someone who is offering sound advice to a stranger is unfair. You came looking for help and advice and although not all of the replies are what you were hoping to hear but they are offered for your consideration. 

And while a 22+ year record is commendable, it doesn't mean you can't make a mistake. (I have no clue about CL shoes.)

@niceguyandre wrote:

As I stated, I will no longer sell luxury items here because it's not worth the headache. Beyond that I will work to find better ways to move my inventory because Ebay is clearly losing it's market share of online sales and they seem to have little interest in retaining their selling base. 

I understand your unwillingness to risk listing "authenticity guaranteed" items here but I have a suggestion before you list them elsewhere. 

You're clearly an honest (and honorable) seller and you want to do the right thing. May I recommend you visit the purse forum where they have a dedicated thread specifically for authenticating Christian Louboutins

In the unlikely event that your own self-authentication is wrong, you can save yourself the headache of selling them to another buyer. 

Find out before listing.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 26 of 26
latest reply