cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Free Listing the Past 2 Months!

What happened to the free listing offers the past 2 months? I don't have a lot of items so those offers mean a lot to me. I've been waiting to relist but haven't seen an offer since Christmas! ebay needs the money? How about a Bonus for Sellers like employees got?  Just saying!

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: No Free Listing the Past 2 Months!

People who ask about free listing don't want to open a store. The listings you receive with a store are not free, they are prepaid.
Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@waldoneatsiewrote:

What happened to the free listing offers the past 2 months? I don't have a lot of items so those offers mean a lot to me. I've been waiting to relist but haven't seen an offer since Christmas! ebay needs the money? How about a Bonus for Sellers like employees got?  Just saying!

They're probably weening off the small used item sellers, so that Wenig can get rid of some more us before he launches the new selling platform.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

@cleaningoutmyclosets17wrote:
People who ask about free listing don't want to open a store. The listings you receive with a store are not free, they are prepaid.

They aren't free, but it's better than making no money waiting for free listings that might not ever come. If you want to run a business on eBay, then treat it like a business, crunch some nunbers and do what makes you money. If you want to sell things sitting around the house, then use your 50 free and don't rely on anything for free.

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

It really is bad business plan to expect freebies.

@waldoneatsiewrote:

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Okay, on this account I just recently started to sell.

I have a really good sell through rate going, and I'm making quite a few sales. I have no defects. No late ships, no return requests, nothing.

I keep getting offer ofter offer to sell more. I get the 50 free. Then they offer me another 200 free that I don't want to use since this is all just around the house getting rid of stuff kinda sales.

I get offers for new categories. I get offers for no FVF...... I get offers to get $50 for selling an iphone. I get alot.

On my regular selling account that is just trucking along with the same 5 or 6 listings (multi variation, huge quantity) I do okay, I sell a good 20+ items off each listing a month, but I stay consistent and they seldom make an offer to me on that id.

I would guess they're picking and choosing which sellers to make offers to based on sales and other metrics. If your 50 don't sell, why should eBay give you more free listings to jam up the site with more stuff that aint selling? It's basic business and I think if eBay is doing that, it's a good thing.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Not sure if that rationale holds up tbh.

My newbie non store ID which only sells NIB kids stuff was set up earlier in the year and then ramped up for pre Christmas selling and sold quite a bit even into January, and was like yours, getting the promo offers one after the other, but then mid Jan they stopped.

My daughter's non store account which rarely has more than 50 listed and sells maybe 1 or 2 things a month gets them ALL the time, sometimes back to back.

I don't know if even eBay has a logical rationale for which get them and which don't or which type.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 21 of 37
latest reply

You get 50 Free Listings every month if you do not have a Store.

The 'free' listings with Stores actually cost between 3 cents and 5 cents each since there is a monthly 'rent' for the Store.

Something a lot of sellers don't know.

You get 50 Free Listings on each site you use.

One of my IDs doesn't have a Store, but I get 100 Free Listings a month by listing on both eBayCanada, my home site, and dotCOM.

When I list on a 'foreign' site, I have to list in the currency of the site, and I must use Flat Rate Shipping , but that's easy enough.

On the third hand.

If you can't make a profit when you are being charged 30 cents for a listing, maybe that is not a good product to be selling in any case.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@femmefan1946wrote:

You get 50 Free Listings every month if you do not have a Store.

The 'free' listings with Stores actually cost between 3 cents and 5 cents each since there is a monthly 'rent' for the Store.

Something a lot of sellers don't know.

You get 50 Free Listings on each site you use.

One of my IDs doesn't have a Store, but I get 100 Free Listings a month by listing on both eBayCanada, my home site, and dotCOM.

When I list on a 'foreign' site, I have to list in the currency of the site, and I must use Flat Rate Shipping , but that's easy enough.

On the third hand.

If you can't make a profit when you are being charged 30 cents for a listing, maybe that is not a good product to be selling in any case.

The 30 cents wouldn't be bad if everything listed actually sells, but it doesn't. 

And then there are the Big Corp sellers with millions of listings who pay zero listing fees.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@waldoneatsiewrote:

Stinks, don't it?  I've been waiting 30 years for the electric company to give me FREE power.  Same with the county water and sewer.  No dice.  Phone company, same thing.  FREE FREE FREE, I want more FREE stuff.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

I don't understand comments like yours, the OP isn't asking for a free sale, they are asking for free insertion. They will still pay around 16% of their sell price  in fees. 10% in fvf. 10% on shipping, 2.9% + $0.30 to paypal. IMO 16% is more than fair to pay to sell an item. 

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

This is only the 2nd  time since I became a memeber in 2001 that I have made a comment in the Community section and I had more insults than anything productive! People telling me I want hand-outs and I don't know how to sell. True that I don't sell consistently because I have a life other than ebay and I usually take most of the summer off since I don't sell enought in the summer to make it worth all the work.  I spent a lot of time positioning my items for the best pictures, then download and edit for posting, weighting, packaging and storing for sale. Supplies Cost, I don't add extra for that expense or extra for postage like so many people do. I price my items competively, I communicate with every buyer personally which takes time but I feel it's the right approach for me.  I am very proud of my 100% Feedback!  .30 may  not seem like much but it adds up if you have to relist and times that by 20-30 items and it can easily take $10-$40 or more from profits so what is so wrong with appreciating the additional free listings after the first 50?  I just was wondering if others were not getting the offers since mine had suddenly stopped since December.  I wasn't asking for insults or sermons about how I was selling incorrectly!  Some replies were very nice and I thank those who understood my question.  Some people wanted to be helpful and that I appreciate.  It is doubtful I will ever post on Community again since I was mistaken about the purpose which is to be helpful.  I did call ebay and they said those promotions are random but strange how I randomly received them each month for years but no I don't but that was their reply. 

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

So, asking for free listings because you don't want to pay ISN'T asking for a hand-out?

If you are listing things over and over and over and over again so much that the 30 cents is causing you to lose money, then take the hint that the item might not be suitable for eBay.

It's common practice for posters who are disagreed with to say we are insulting them or that our answers aren't productive. Frankly, it's tiring to try to give advice and try to get posters to see where they are erring only to be called unhelpful because we don't agree.

What exactly do you want to hear from us that you would deem helpful? We don't control when and who gets the promos. I certainly don't get any on this account of my other account (over 1000 items on that one). eBay isn't going to listen to anyone who comes here and posts about not getting free listings. So, please enlighten us on how we can be helpful in this situation. I'm eager to hear your response.
Message 27 of 37
latest reply

I have been waiting to walk ionto walmart and pick my items i want for free...and as well as that, i have been waiting to go to the supermarket and take my groceries for free..terrible isnt it...

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Another thing i forgot was that i have been waiting for post offices to allow all packages sent for fee ( allover the world ) so everyone can have free shipping and not cut into their profit margin with items sold on ebay...As well as that i have been waiting for gas to be free so i dont have to worry how much i spend with filling up the car and driving to the pst office will be okay...Do i have to go on and on???? Like you want free listing, i want all these items free....

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

I hear you!  I used to get free listings at least once a month, now zero!  This has really impacted my sales.  Dont listen to the negative comments, if they were offered free insertion listings they would use them too!  Its not really free anyway, paying final value fees as well as shipping fees, some items take longer to sell and the insertion fees add up when you are a small seller, any seller really!  You are just asking for some help like you used to get, we used to get.  Everyone needs a boost in sales and the free insertions always help!  eBay doesnt sell anything, we do, we are eBay.  Why they used to give offers and now they dont is beyond me.  My advice is to call, email, and ask what happened to the free insertion offers? I call and ask all the time, some day they will hopefully listen!  I am with you and am hurting for the free insertion offers.   Come on eBay bring back free listing offers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 30 of 37
latest reply