cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tax Laws

Anyone else thinking of closing their Ebay stores and sales due to the new tax law? $600 is a low threshold for taxes. For me I don't make enough for the loss of taxes

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: New Tax Laws

It's not a new law. It has just been adjusted to accommodate all those people that did not report their income for years and years. 

Message 2 of 101
latest reply

@keystone911 wrote:

Anyone else thinking of closing their Ebay stores and sales due to the new tax law? $600 is a low threshold for taxes. For me I don't make enough for the loss of taxes

$600 is not the threshold for paying taxes, it is merely the threshold for the payment processor to report income to the IRS on for 1099-K.

You have always been required to report taxable income, whether or not you got a 1099-K.

This new tax law did not change your tax liability, it just makes it harder for people to continue cheating on their taxes.

Message 3 of 101
latest reply

The $600 is NOT a threshold for reporting your on-line income for your taxes!  So tired of tax cheats thinking they never had to report their gross sales less expenses all these years.  The 20K limit was the amount third party companies had to use to determine whether to send out a 1099K to the sellers.  It never had anything to do with you owing taxes.  Now the payment processors have to send out 1099Ks to anyone selling over $600 in cumulative sales across all platforms.  

This is not as bad as it seems to many people who have never filed legitimate tax returns while selling on-line and at flea markets.  Once you deduct your expenses from the sales and the net sales are added to your gross adjusted income you might pay $100 extra in taxes.  The amount could actually drop your tax liability.  

People are over-reacting to this new requirement.  Just save every receipt for supplies, deduct the percentage of your home used exclusively for ebay and be sure to include the $1,500 you donate to church each year.  My church never gives receipts according to my accountant.  And yes, you get to deduct the same percentage of your utility bill as for your home office.  Hint:  Use the largest room in the house for your ebay office.  Don't use a niche or hall closet.  Just be sure to use it ONLY for the business.  I have tall ceilings so I base my percentage of space on cubic footage because it takes more energy to heat and cool it.

Message 4 of 101
latest reply

@keystone911 

If you're reporting your income like you should be doing, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 101
latest reply

nope.

Message 6 of 101
latest reply

I love how this topic has everyone running around screaming "FIRE!"

Be an adult. Report your income. Pay your taxes. 

Message 7 of 101
latest reply

Wow! you have averaged about $800 a month in sales ($10,000 a year) and you have not EVER Reported your income? With 17000+ feedback, it's obvious you've been at this for years. 

Message 8 of 101
latest reply

I do my ebay business in a gig company that I've been reporting income for 28 years. The last few years I had a loss. Saved $$'s in taxes.

Message 9 of 101
latest reply

Only the tax dodgers are thinking of closing their stores.

Message 10 of 101
latest reply

I wonder if the IRS has any members on these forums?

Message 11 of 101
latest reply

"

I love how this topic has everyone running around screaming "FIRE!"

Be an adult. Report your income. Pay your taxes. "

Nice.  When I moved into my current home 24 years ago I wondered how so many younger couples in their  thirties could afford it.  When we had a our first block party it became obvious that every single one of us owned a small business of one sort or another.  All twelve neighbors owned at least one business including myself.  Whether it was a consulting biz, lock company auto shop, towing company that was the common thread with the exception of one retired couple who are in the 80's now.

It's to bad how some parents teach their kids to save receipts while growing up and other parent teach their kids to distrust the world to the point of cheating.

Message 12 of 101
latest reply

At Seventeen thousand feedback, THAT is what is making you want to close?     Not the theft, the lies, the cheating, the endless complaints... 

Taxes have always just been taxes.  It is what it is what it is, no matter how low the threshold.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 13 of 101
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

I wonder if the IRS has any members on these forums?

I can imagine them having a whole department dedicated to reading on-line platform forums.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 14 of 101
latest reply

@keystone911 wrote:

You are a shooting star long-term seller.....posting this on a public forum....that the IRS can easily read/access.....

Online selling has never been a "tax optional" kinda deal.  Owed whether a 1099k was generated or not.   😞

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 15 of 101
latest reply