cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Paypal policy now not refunding fees for any disputes, claims or unathorized transactions.

I just got off the phone with paypal they said there is a new paypal policy if the buyer opens a claim for any reason and you refund them they will not refund the paypal fee. This includes unathorized activity claims. They said even if you refund before the buyer escalates it the fee is not refunded. They are treating all paypal disputes as their own internal chargebacks now.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: New Paypal policy now not refunding fees for any disputes, claims or unathorized transactions.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@usgamecollector wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

If buyer opens a dispute through paypal and wins seller gets nothing back never has and never will....

once again this is not what i'm talking about. The only way a buyer "wins" is if they escalate their paypal dispute and you don't respond or don't do anything. When a buyer opens an item not received claim on paypal before they escalate it it gives you the option to refund it and before you got the fees back. This is not the case anymore.

I received an unauthorized transaction where the buyer said his account was hacked, you don't get your fees back now if you click refund, but you used to.

Technically you have never got your fees "back" because when you refund,  total amount refunded is made up of 2.9% fees that paypal received and the amount that you received.   For example, if the buyer needed to be refunded $100,  the details should look something like this.

Total refunded to Joe Buyer - $100

Fee reversal - $2.60

Total paid by you the seller - $97.40

There is no way that they could suddenly change the system without any type of notice so you should see something like that in the refund details.

Exactly. The seller doesn't get the fees back. PayPal gives them directly to the buyer, and reduces the amount of money they take from the seller.

We're still waiting for a link to this new policy, or even a screen shot showing that the fee wasn't refunded. But we're not holding our breath. 

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

Re: New Paypal policy now not refunding fees for any disputes, claims or unathorized transactions.

@usgamecollector wrote:

I just got off the phone with paypal they said there is a new paypal policy if the buyer opens a claim for any reason and you refund them they will not refund the paypal fee. This includes unathorized activity claims. They said even if you refund before the buyer escalates it the fee is not refunded. They are treating all paypal disputes as their own internal chargebacks now.

"Unathorized claims" are the easiest to win and the seller should not be refunding any of those, PP would eat the loss.

As long as the seller has proof of shipping to the PP address provided at time of payment.  (PP Transaction details page)

Only way to lose an UA charge back is to send to another address provided by the buyer via email or ebay after payment is made. So you would not have proof of shipping to the payment addy:(

They have always kept the 30 cents.

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

This policy update from Paypal I received today seems to imply that they will keep all of the fees (over and above the 30 cents).  See the last bullet.

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 2.57.43 PM.png

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

@afkps wrote:

This policy update from Paypal I received today seems to imply that they will keep all of the fees (over and above the 30 cents).  See the last bullet.

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 2.57.43 PM.png

Yes that will be the new policy in May.  I was not the policy when this thread started a year and a half ago. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 34 of 41
latest reply

@jitterbug2003 wrote:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

This is concerning to me, not getting our 2.9% in fees back. I wonder if ebay will put a stop to immediate cancellations by buyers or charge them the 2.9% fee. What was I thinking here, of course they will NOT. I can hear them now "it's just the cost of doing business'.

This can get very expensive in a hurry. I go through spells of people buying, paying and 2 minutes later wanting to cancel. It's one right after the other some weeks.

Ebay should do something to put a stop to it. If you will notice, most retailers (at least the ones I order from) will not cancel your order after it is placed. There are only 2 places that I order from that will let you cancel after placing the order. QVC and The River.

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

The reason so many sellers are claiming this is not true is because the change does not take place until May. Then NO fees will be returned.

This on top of the GTC Ebay policy will drive sellers to leave.

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

Food for thought ..... with this new policy is it better not to require immediate payment with buy it now?  Having to go through an additional step to pay may force buyers to give their purchase a second thought before paying, which in turn could reduce quick returns.

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

@oaklandmaryland wrote:

The reason so many sellers are claiming this is not true is because the change does not take place until May. Then NO fees will be returned.

This on top of the GTC Ebay policy will drive sellers to leave.

Actually the reason so many said that on this here is because this thread started in 2017 and back this wasn’t the policy. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 39 of 41
latest reply

PSA: Paypal will no longer return processing fees (2.9% + $0.30) when you refund a customer starting October 11, 2019. ... Paypal is changing their policy so that they no longer will refund their fees for returned orders, you better check with paypal. They say  this is the trend in USA now. Won't be long until the gov. will not do refunds once they find out about the new, shaft the Americans Now.  

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

I can’t Wait for the new eBay payments to be available. 

Message 41 of 41
latest reply