cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Paypal policy now not refunding fees for any disputes, claims or unathorized transactions.

I just got off the phone with paypal they said there is a new paypal policy if the buyer opens a claim for any reason and you refund them they will not refund the paypal fee. This includes unathorized activity claims. They said even if you refund before the buyer escalates it the fee is not refunded. They are treating all paypal disputes as their own internal chargebacks now.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

New Paypal policy now not refunding fees for any disputes, claims or unathorized transactions.

I didn't think the Paypal fee was ever refunded.  I know the 30 cents isn' t.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 41
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I didn't think the Paypal fee was ever refunded.  I know the 30 cents isn' t.

ofcourse the paypal fee was refunded before besides the 30 cents.  If a buyer opened a claim on paypal and you refunded before the buyer escalated it you were refunded the fee. Or if a buyer opened an unauthorized transaction claim through paypal you were refunded the fee. Now any claim that's opened you're out the paypal fee. It is a new paypal policy.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

@usgamecollector wrote:

I just got off the phone with paypal they said there is a new paypal policy if the buyer opens a claim for any reason and you refund them they will not refund the paypal fee. This includes unathorized activity claims. They said even if you refund before the buyer escalates it the fee is not refunded. They are treating all paypal disputes as their own internal chargebacks now.

I don't recognize policy statements by random CSRs to be of any value. PayPal would have announced something like that as a change to their terms of service. And I'm sure someone would challenge the legality of that change.

They started keeping the 30 cents years ago. Maybe that's what your CSR was referring to.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

This has been policy since 2013 I think?  I was pretty annoyed even if it was 30c.  eBay practically demand that we refund the buyer if they have buyers remorse and change their minds in the first hour.  DO NOT KEEP YOUR BUYER WAITING FOR THEIR PRECIOUS REFUND! The alternative is saying it's shipped and facing a fake return SNAD claim.  Yet, we find we are still charged the transaction fee of 30c by PayPal.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

@usgamecollector wrote:

It is a new paypal policy.

@usgamecollector

Great, please provide a link to the policy.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

You are mistaken here. There is no new paypal policy. Everyone who accepts paypal should really keep up with the UA updates. Nothing has changed as far as fee refunds. 

The next policy changes are here--https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

The last changes are here https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/archive-policies-full

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 41
latest reply

.30 is the non-refundable fee PayPal charges to process the payment. It has never been refundable.

The 2.9% of the payment charged by PayPal is automatically credited back to the seller's account whenever a refund takes place, and it has no connection to escalation of either an eBay case or a PayPal dispute.

The only connection between credit and witholding is that eBay will not issue an fvf credit when a buyer escalates and wins an eBay case.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

.30 is the non-refundable fee PayPal charges to process the payment. It has never been refundable.

The 2.9% of the payment charged by PayPal is automatically credited back to the seller's account whenever a refund takes place, and it has no connection to escalation of either an eBay case or a PayPal dispute.

The only connection between credit and witholding is that eBay will not issue an fvf credit when a buyer escalates and wins an eBay case.

It was refunded until years ago, when they changed it to non-refundable.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

Correct. It was refunded until the amendment to the User Agreement on 8/10/2010.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

@*eponymous*

Actually this is not true. I remember when the $.30 charge WAS refunded when you refunded the entire charge as was the % charge.  Paypal changed that many years ago so that you only get back the % charge.  I distinctly remember this because I used to refund the individual charges and send the buyer a combined invoice just to save on the $.30 per transaction charge.  When they switched to not refunding the $.30, it obviously was no longer advantageous for me to do so. 

I see no update to the Paypal policy that states they will discontinue refunding the % charge.

ETA... OH, I see two other members have already corrected this mis-statement.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 11 of 41
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

Correct. It was refunded until the amendment to the User Agreement on 8/10/2010.

Yep - when you know who moved over there .........

I just cancelled and refunded two sales on my web site this morning. PayPal refunded all but the $0.30 just as they have been doing.

If they have a new policy, someone needs to tell them.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

That's what I thought.  I just wasn't sure of the date.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

yep, dorky buyers can cost you money without every buying anything. just by requesting a cancellation a few minutes after purchase.
snow dogs that have owned me

SheRa ‘Barbarian Queen’ Sept 16, 1995 - Nov 17, 2006
Thor ‘God of Thunder’ Nov 17, 2006 – Nov 26, 2007
Mishka ‘Little Bear’ March 26, 2007 – Oct 22, 2016
Conan ‘Wolf’ Nov 14, 2007
Message 15 of 41
latest reply