cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*PSA* ATTENTION Sellers Getting "Charge Back" Claims of Unauthorized Charges via Paypal from Buyers!

As per ANOTHER conversation with a Paypal Rep due to ANOTHER "Charge Back" claim for "Unauthorized Charge"... Do Not HESITATE to CONTACT Paypal IMMEDIATELY when you see these claims opened against you in Paypal! Paypal has SELLER PROTECTION! As long as you uploaded Shipping/Tracking information you ARE protected! I just had another not ONE but TWO claims filed against me within 24 hours! They are averaging about 1 every week and a half to 2 weeks time! Due to eBay FINALLY standing up against Buyer FRAUD/SCAM and siding with Sellers the Buyers are pushing "Unaurthorized Charge" claims. Paypal is seeing a large INCREASE in these claims since eBay has been standing behind Sellers (took long enough!) and not just deciding in Sellers favor but they are FINALLY NOT also refunding the Buyers as well! So NO MORE FREE merchandise for them! I guess eBay was finally feeling the hit in their pocket that they were taking for releasing funds to both the Sellers AND the Buyers when Buyers made such claims. If a Buyer did NOT authorize charge why on earth are they NOT REFUSING packages? Why are they NOT returning items/packages to Sellers?! They want the FREE stuff! Well as the Paypal Rep stated... "Spread the word! Paypal is NOT siding with Buyers who receive packages and KEEP them!" Of course there are cases where unauthorized charges occur but sadly this is a VERY popular FRAUD SCAM to get FREE merchandise! 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

*PSA* ATTENTION Sellers Getting "Charge Back" Claims of Unauthorized Charges via Paypal from Buyers!

I had a chick leave me positive feedback then turn around 2 weeks later n file this claim when ebay showed her she could’ve got the time cheaper had she have waited, lol. PayPal was like Nope, sorry n found in my favor. She had it shipped to her daughter.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

There is no need to call PayPal.  The process for responding to an Unauthorized Use claim is automated and easy.

Rather than waste time with calling just read the PayPal Seller Protection Policy so you will know how to protect yourself from claims.

Some UA claims are not initiated by the account holder.  Some are initiated by the bank/cc processor if it has an overly sensitive fraud detection system.  A purchase that doesn't fit the account holder's usual spending patterns, eg.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Believed me next time, just do a video record everything from the START.

START fight back the SNAD

I make up this name but this is the true story about SNAD that one of my collegues involved when sold an expesive item on EBAY.

Back then, my collegue sold an expensive electronic device worth ~$ 800. I tell you what he did.

He received an order from a buyer on ebay. with (EBAY and PAYPal address match ,verified with recent feedback from other seller, total fb about 60 , no neg).

He brought the item to USPS, Pay for the RESTRICTED SIGNATURE (Adult and ID) 

USE his phone to record / take picture/ video, He took picture of serial number, everything. He recorded the video when the item was packed into the priority box by the USPS worker. (He had picture on the weight of the items and weight of items with bubble + package with the help of USPS worker.)

Sadly, few weeks later,

He received a SNAD and a request return.

He purchased a priority with restricted signature confirmation for the return. 

He decided to get to post office rather then sign for the package at home.

He got the the USPS received the package, star the RECORDING and open the return package at USPS. WOW bunch of ROCK inside. SENT THE VIDEO TO EBAY, PAYPAL.

MADE SEVERAL CLAIM TO IC3.GOV (GOVERNMENT).

GET MONEY BACK for the items. At least he made a lot of profit, so 30 buck for both way shipping isn't much.

JUST WHEN ITEM AT HIGH PRICE. Either you lose everything or BE prepare EVIDENCE to fight back. 

some idiom to push the effort for ebay seller who encounter those kind of crime.

“A civil denial is better than a rude grant”

“A clean hand wants no washing.”

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@yumidoan wrote:

This thread is about unauthorized use claims.  Not Significantly Not As Described claims.

@yumidoan wrote:

USE his phone to record / take picture/ video, He took picture of serial number, everything. He recorded the video when the item was packed into the priority box by the USPS worker. (He had picture on the weight of the items and weight of items with bubble + package with the help of USPS worker.)

I find it hard to believe that

1)  your "friend" got a USPS clerk to pack his item for him. (packages should be presented at the counter ready to mail, sealed, addressed and all)

and 2)  that he was allowed to video this whole thing.  photos/videos inside the PO are questionable?

Must have been a very slow day at that PO.

This is definitely not something anyone should be walking into a post office and expecting to do.  It is not part of the clerk or carrier job to pack items for customers or to serve as witnesses or to judge whether the contents of the package are what the customer says they should be.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Neither eBay your PayPal will accept video or photographic evidence when a case is opened.

But videotape all you want to if it makes you feel better.
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@umie11752 wrote:
I had a chick leave me positive feedback then turn around 2 weeks later n file this claim when ebay showed her she could’ve got the time cheaper had she have waited, lol. PayPal was like Nope, sorry n found in my favor. She had it shipped to her daughter.

similar situation happened to me.  PayPal found in my favor also. 

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@yumidoan wrote:

This thread is about unauthorized use claims.  Not Significantly Not As Described claims.

@yumidoan wrote:

I find it hard to believe that

1)  your "friend" got a USPS clerk to pack his item for him. (packages should be presented at the counter ready to mail, sealed, addressed and all)

and 2)  that he was allowed to video this whole thing.  photos/videos inside the PO are questionable?

Must have been a very slow day at that PO.

This is definitely not something anyone should be walking into a post office and expecting to do.  It is not part of the clerk or carrier job to pack items for customers or to serve as witnesses or to judge whether the contents of the package are what the customer says they should be.

It would be a nice value-added service at the PO, though, especially now. Of course, some PO's probably have too many people going through for it to work everywhere.

Who WOULDN'T pay 5-20 bucks for a PO employee to verify the item, pack(or repack) it, and have it on record for something shipped over a certain amount(using restricted delivery would also be a prerequisite).

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Who WOULDN'T pay 5-20 bucks for a PO employee to verify the item, pack(or repack) it, and have it on record for something shipped over a certain amount(using restricted delivery would also be a prerequisite).

Would you really pay for that?  I wouldn't.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Yep, this happened to me as well.  Got a message "unauthorized payment", ebay auto took the payment out of my account, and the buyer was able to keep my vintage item for free.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@dolldesigns4u wrote:

Yep, this happened to me as well.  Got a message "unauthorized payment", ebay auto took the payment out of my account, and the buyer was able to keep my vintage item for free.

That didn’t happen. eBay doesn’t have anything to do with unauthorized use chargebacks which is what this thread is about and when the buyer files on, eBay isn’t involved and eBay doesn’t pull money out of your account.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

this has always been true.  Paypal offers seller protection for when a buyer files an unauthorized charge with the credit card.   however the buyer likely is getting a refund as well as thats the credit cards commitment to the buyer to cover them with unauthorized charges.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Dealing w this now. Buyer waited 80 days & now claims unauthorized charge even though item received. PP tells me it’s out of their control bc the buyer’s bank charged it back. Said they’d fwd tracking but that’s all they can do. To me that’s theft if this stands. Do I have recourse??
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

My buyer waited 80 days after receiving merchandise to file an UA claim & PP tells me it’s the buyer’s bank & PP states it doesn’t fall under Seller Protection. All they offered was to forward tracking info. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@onefabfindforyou wrote:

My buyer waited 80 days after receiving merchandise to file an UA claim & PP tells me it’s the buyer’s bank & PP states it doesn’t fall under Seller Protection. All they offered was to forward tracking info. 

If you shipped to the address on file and met the seller protection requirements call PayPal and tell them you want your money release since you are covered under their policy.  It doesn’t matter what the bank decides.  And go ahead and now and keep evidence of the tracking

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 15 of 24
latest reply