cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Listing Tool is the worst - descriptions are stuck in Times New Roman

My descriptions keep defaulting for Times New Roman, which looks absolutely horrible. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change it back to Arial. A few times I randomly changed the font 5 times or more and finally back to Arial and that seemed to work, but it didn't work more often than it did. 

I cannot believe eBay is forcing their sellers to use such a garbage tool that is directly harming the quality of new listings. 

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: New Listing Tool is the worst - descriptions are stuck in Times New Roman

@paulibeverlyhills wrote:

I tried what you suggested. But it doesn't work all the time. So far only once. Instead of the "all", I get an HTML choice, which I wouldn't know how to use. Today the computer froze on my changing a shipping box. Frustrating. Had to put the listing in pending and go back to it later & then it worked. Time waste. Also, dislike the new choice of font colors which are totally DRAB and that I can't use comic sans. NOT happy about those two issues, but it is FASTER, that I grant. Also, sometimes I like to change the order of my photos and was able to do that with the old tool. This tool does not allow that, so you have to really think about the order of your photos before posting. The previous feature was so wonderful-why change that option? As far as backgrounds, maybe eBay has a point, but I sure miss the colorful ones people listed with their products. I dislike looking at generic, boring listing photos. I haven't listed new stuff yet, as revising now, but will anticipate some glitches based on what I am reading here. Why does eBay only want us to add DRAB or DARK colors? I don't understand that & wish I could get an explanation. I like to use fuschia, turquoise, lavender, etc. as I sell mostly girly things and now my listings will look drab & generic. Or is there some way to add more colors and I just don't know it?  Thanks for any reply. 

@paulibeverlyhills we wanted to provide a little more context.  eBay updated the available font colors to adhere to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).  The options of font colors in the new listing tool adhere to web accessibility guidelines of contrast ratios.  It aims to ensure that sighted users who cannot distinguish between some colors are able to understand the content.

Message 31 of 62
latest reply

As already stated, @dhbookds' reply is useless and they should delete it immediately to stop misleading others. 

Here's what you do to get around eBay's incompetence:

1. Write out everything you need to. 

2. Change font size as needed

3. Change font to any other font.

4. Change font to desired font. 

5. Change to HTML Code (VERY LAST FINAL STEP)

Message 32 of 62
latest reply

as stated earlier-LIKE YOU AND YOUR FONT CHOICE, I miss comic sans (my favorite font) and I miss the bright colors. but CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE, eBay really did a great job on my photos-they look l00% better, so THANK YOU to whomever was able to fix my photos--they look much more professional and much clearer...We all have to adapt to change and it's challenging, isn't it? I have been on here for l8 years now and have had to learn to go with the flow. I haven't made new listings yet, so don't know what I will think and I think I have an uphill curve ahead for creating tax tables, but for doing revisions, the new system has speeded up the process, so that's another plus. We all grumble, including me, sometimes, but CREDIT where CREDIT is due is also important, so I say "thank you eBay-you pushed my buttons, yes,- but for the better with the photo quality!

I do wish you would reconsider allowing comic sans font & some brighter colors ....but THANK YOU!

Message 33 of 62
latest reply

I did not notice if my pictures are any better on not.... but maybe the new coding allows for higher resolution or less compression..?  I dont like however how every picture that I want to edit pops up in a new box and requires more clicks.... they really add up to time wasting... and i hate that features are hidden in secret boxes that you need to open or apply something else in the correct order to get them to be viewable!.... its like wack-a-mole and hide and seek all in one listing tool.  But maybe the pictures are better.

Again- I dont really think any of this applies to using the tool on a phone- that's works fine.... its just not a desktop experience that we want.  Got a text today from my buddy's 20 year old kid who started an ebay business(already up to 1200 listings)- he said he was using the new tool and he  did not like it either- he said it took too long and did not make sense so he switched back--lucky him he still can.   NOTICE- he is 20 years old and still prefers the classic

Message 34 of 62
latest reply

A buddy just messaged me about a listing i just did with the new tool. i had the title all screwed up and for the wrong listing for the pictures and description i had....    Completely my fault but this dang new listing tool takes so much concentration to get through i just cant think straight.  you get so wrapped up in trying to figure out where all the fields that you use for every listing are hidden, that you just cant get a good listing flow going.

Message 35 of 62
latest reply

Only a boomer whose had enough time to accumulate therapeutically-relevant levels of lead in their brain would think the new listing tool was a good idea. 

Message 36 of 62
latest reply

Ignore the troll/bot/shill. eBay still degrades high resolution photos drastically. You are still better off lowering your photos' resolution manually. I tested this personally. 

Message 37 of 62
latest reply

@therapydragon wrote:

Only a boomer whose had enough time to accumulate therapeutically-relevant levels of lead in their brain would think the new listing tool was a good idea. 

And yet I doubt a single "boomer" was responsible for creating the listing tool.

Message 38 of 62
latest reply

It does not matter what generation made this tool - it does not fit the needs of the customers that use a computer or desktop. period. it is slower, more complicated, confusing, hides everyday needs in submenus, adds at least 2-4 steps to nearly everything needed to do to create a listing.

I dont care if you are 80 years old or 18- bad design is bad design. This tool does not work efficiently on a computer and needs to be fixed- GMV was down 17% first quarter as reported by ebay...... are they shooting for 30% less for 2nd quarter.

Someone at ebay - high level management needs to step up and make the call- get this fixed and stop drinking the cool aid aid " tech-lead reimagination of ebay"---- stop making up bologna for the shareholders and just build the platform for sellers and the stock will go up instead of down.   People will list more and people will buy more and ebay will make more and wallahhh- genuine site growth instead of fleecing for more fees and driving sellers away which equals further decline trend.

Message 39 of 62
latest reply

I also dislike the new listing tool A LOT! It has made it more difficult to simply cut & paste my HTML descriptions (although it is still possible to drop in HTML, it takes more time & effort). And, if I hit the PREVIEW button, I do not get the preview in a new browser tab - then, if I click the "back" button on my browser. I do not get sent back to the window where I can simply click LIST ITEM to finish. Ebay - if you are going to revise a tool, MAKE IT BETTER! (not worse)

Message 40 of 62
latest reply

Ebay - notice the previous user comment- the take away point is yet another nearly 4000 feedback seller that their experience with the new tool is " takes more time and effort"!  Please guys- we have all spoken- get this thing fixed for us- we have been crippled by this listing tool for nearly a month now with no official response from ebay. Listings are down, sales are down, what do we have to do to get a classic tool that works?

BTW- trying to list an Audi car part the other day. "brand" would not accept Audi!...... it would not populate in the dumb dropdown list and i ended up having to just put OEM in the brand item specific. This tool is a joke at this point that is creating more problems and more inaccurate item specifics.

Message 41 of 62
latest reply

Benn posting on Ebay for over 20 years.

This new listing tool is horrible.  Period.

Popups that you still have to scroll within?  HORRIBLE IDEA.

Anyway I tried it again today and wanted to throw my monitor out the window.  Sucks so bad- takes FOREVER. 3x more clicking.  total fail.

I have 2 questions for you guys:

1)  I no longer see "require immediate payment when using "buy it now" as an option.

-are they getting rid of this?  That is a critical need.  I would NEVER allow someone to stop an auction without paying. Half the time they never pay.

2)  I noticed someone mentioning the "sell similar trick doesnt work"  above- sorry I didn't read everything, but can you tell me if there is an issue with using "sell similar"?  That is also critical to me.

theres no way I can do my weekly listings starting from scratch every time.. I need it all prefilled out from the last time I sold an item..

Thanks for the info on this POS 😉

Message 42 of 62
latest reply

immediate payment is still there- just hidden for the sake of making the page look prettier. I believe its misplaced under the edit all click then scroll down to payments managed by ebay submenu. you can find it a about 4 clicks of a mouse in an unrelated menu lol.  Keep sending feedback so they will be forced to fix this mess.

sell similar works but they are losing info in item specifics- just glitches galore i believe though

Message 43 of 62
latest reply

"Sell Similar" that isn't at all similar?

Sounds like a great idea LOL

wait, correction.. sounds like an Ebay Web Designer idea..

Message 44 of 62
latest reply

I have been so frustrated with how much longer and more aggravating the new tool is that I have hardly listed anything in 2 months- decided to take a "mental health" break from ebay.  with over 4500 unique listings on two accounts, we are able to still sell and make money but sales have fallen off noticeably like other sellers have seen.   I easily have close to 300,000 dollars worth of unlisted great vintage inventory piling up (always buy when available and priced right),     I just cant force myself to suffer through the listing process now.  I thought it would get better sooner but the "improvements are so few and far between. 

At this rate we wont have a good listing tool on a desktop for another 2 years!!!  What's worse is that the classic tool was a perfect professional desktop listing tool but they refuse to let us use it???    I'm starting to look at other options.    

Message 45 of 62
latest reply