cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My offer got accepted, I paid, but someone else got the item

I took advantage of a seller's  make an offer, got accepted and paid.  Next thing I know I am getting my payment refunded and an item I did not order arrives at my house. Seller says she made a mistake and sent the wrong item. So I said can I still get the item I paid for and she says she's "waiting to hear from the other buyer" .

How can there be another buyer when my offer was accepted and paid? Do you think the seller pulled a fast one because someone offered more money? Should I report them?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: My offer got accepted, I paid, but someone else got the item

@gomezpal wrote:

I took advantage of a seller's  make an offer, got accepted and paid.  Next thing I know I am getting my payment refunded and an item I did not order arrives at my house. Seller says she made a mistake and sent the wrong item. So I said can I still get the item I paid for and she says she's "waiting to hear from the other buyer" .

How can there be another buyer when my offer was accepted and paid? Do you think the seller pulled a fast one because someone offered more money? Should I report them?

They mixed up 2 packages, you got their item and they got yours.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@gomezpal wrote:

That's what I don't understand, why not just say that there will be a delay in getting my purchase instead of just killing it. She didn;'t even ask if I'd be willing to wait...

Because there is a chance the other buyer may never reply and you may not get the correct item.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

It hasn't happened to me as a seller, thankfully, but it happened to me as a buyer many years ago and eventually the items made it to the correct buyers. Mistakes happen to the best of us, and it does sound like your seller is being responsible as others have mentioned, just like mine was.  As a seller, I can only imagine the panic he or she was feeling when becoming aware of the mix-up. The seller in the mix-up with my order still got positive feedback and comments from me. Actually it was kind of funny because the item I received instead of what I ordered was so strange (voodoo doll comes to mind though that's probably not what it was).

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Yep, seller accidentally switched shipping labels and sent the wrong package to buyers.  If you sell long enough it will happen to you.  It is almost inevitable.  The good thing is, once you do it you will put systems in place to make sure it never happens again.  I did it with a couple of books through Amazon probably 12- 13 years ago.  Haven't made that mistake again!  It is very embarrassing and costs you money both of which are great things to engrain a lesson into your brain!

Unless the seller is being a jerk to you, be kind and understanding with him/her.  I'm quite sure they are just as upset with their mistake as you are.  We are all human and mistakes happen.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@gomezpal wrote:

That's what I don't understand, why not just say that there will be a delay in getting my purchase instead of just killing it. She didn;'t even ask if I'd be willing to wait...

@gomezpal 

The seller was very smart to refund you as they have no way of knowing at this time if that other buyer will even agree to return the item.  So they did they best they could in a bad situation.

There are rules and stats that Ebay collects on all sellers.  It usually is not in a seller's best interest to just wait and hope things are going to work out for the best.  In a case like this it leaves them open to cases filed by both buyer [you and the other one].  Your seller was actively working the problem.  You can always tell the seller if they do get the item back to let you know as you'd still like to purchase it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

ok, thanks then

Message 21 of 21
latest reply