cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My listing does not show up in Search-- eBay agent suggests "Promoting" it

I have a statue for sale, at a price of $14,000. It is a bronze sculpture statue of a woman. It's been listed for a week now, and the ONLY way I can find it in a search is to use the name of the artist-- Evans.  NO one is going to be looking for this statue this way.  This is a living artist, not all that famous. Three phone calls to eBay later, and three "tickets" in to the technical team, this last agent suggests I "promote" the listing. I'm pretty sure that's not the way this website is supposed to work. 

Funny thing, I tried to look at Promoting Listings-- I've been selling on eBay for 20 years-- maybe I'm getting too old, but I never did find a simple enough explanation of Promoting Listings. AFTER this one actually shows up the way it should, I MIGHT consider promoting it, if I could figure out how. But I DON'T think I should have to pay to make it show up in the first place. 

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: My listing does not show up in Search-- eBay agent suggests "Promoting" it

Have to go out now, don't take my silence for rudeness- I shall return.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I can find your listing in a search for Bronze Sculpture Statue Woman no quotes, about halfway down in search showing 200 items  and also in search for  Susan Stamm Evans Bronze.......the only one shown. 

I'm not sure how else you expect it to be found. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It's been listed for a week now, and the ONLY way I can find it in a search is to use the name of the artist-- Evans. NO one is going to be looking for this statue this way.

How do buyers of sculptures typically find things to buy? What sorts of words do they search for? What sort of filters might they use? If those words apply to your listing, include them in the title or item specifics.

If the sculpture has a title or is part of a series, include that in the title or item-specifics of your listing, rather than just in the body, which many users may not search.

If the sculpture is original, be sure to include that item-specific. Include a date or a date range, it known. If the format is a statue, use that item-specific.

This is probably not something that someone who works in customer service making phone calls to eBay customers can help you with.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@s8u8z8y8 

This does not appear to be a typical eBay item, and perhaps selling it on-line is not such a great idea.

You might consider selling it at a local art retail store in your area, or through an art museum.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

The ONLY way that would be found is by someone LOOKING for a statue and they would HAVE to use the Category search- of Art and then Sculptures and.......

know that there are 156,000 listings in that category. 

Bottom line is HOW would anyone know what words to use the 'search' for such a thing?? 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I see it ...# 20 on the first page of 4700 listings using best match.

Bronze Sculpture Statue Woman

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I just re-did that particular search-- Bronze Sculpture Statue Woman-- and on MY screen there are 5400 listings. I don't know how you ended up with only 200. At any rate, from that search I order results in high to low price, and look for $14000. It's not there. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

"This is probably not something that someone who works in customer service making phone calls to eBay customers can help you with."

Actually, the second person told me that there had been lots of issues with stuff not showing up in searches. So maybe it's a good thing to let them know...

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I'm not in an area where that sort of thing is near, but your advice is well-taken. I know eBay isn't the best platform for this, but there's no harm in trying... meanwhile it looks really lovely in my living room!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@s8u8z8y8 wrote:

I have a statue for sale, at a price of $14,000. It is a bronze sculpture statue of a woman. It's been listed for a week now, and the ONLY way I can find it in a search is to use the name of the artist-- Evans. 

I found it using Bronze Sculpture Woman in Best Match. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I guess I was hoping they'd be sitting around one rainy afternoon thinking "a really nice sculpture would look great out there in the garden...what about a naked woman?? I think I could spend about 15 thou on one of those! " Then they grab their laptop, go to eBay, put in sculpture, maybe "bronze", then "woman", arrange the price high to low, go to $14,000, and Bingo! Buy-it-Now! 🙂

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I do see it that way too-- first time I've seen it in a search without putting the artist's name. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I don't see a bronze sculpture anywhere in your active listings on this account. This is probably not an item you need to use PL for. The CS rep is of course going to suggest that since it increases eBay's revenue but would probably not increase your chances of selling the item. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@s8u8z8y8 wrote:

I just re-did that particular search-- Bronze Sculpture Statue Woman-- and on MY screen there are 5400 listings. I don't know how you ended up with only 200. At any rate, from that search I order results in high to low price, and look for $14000. It's not there. 

Sorry........I didn't express search correctly.......was newly listed and the  # of the items on the page were 200 and it was on the first page.

I think the reason it doesn't show in high to low is that you don't have shipping included.......tho  you say you will "take care of it" in the description.......the listing shows "freight", but no price for it........so the search can't determine a total price.  If it's free shipping, the listing should show that and then it should then show up in high/low search.   Could be wrong.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply