cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first return request that i think the buyer stained the jeans i sold them

I just got a return request "Doesn't match description or photos"

It says I didn't disclose a stain on the jeans.

First here is my procedure on listing clothing. I wash them inside out first with scent free detergent. Then I stack them inside out in my listing area. After I list an item its immediately folded and placed in a clear poly bag then placed in a bin with other clothing that is also in poly bags. 

Here is a picture of my listing and also a picture I received with the return request. 

Unless I'm blind i don't see even a hint of discoloration that would match the stain the buyer is showing in their photo. To be clear my listing photo is the one where you can see both back pockets.

If that stain was present when I was listing i would have definitely mentioned it if I was to even list it at all.

Am I justified in a 50% refund here if in fact they are returned with that dark stain?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

If thats the same pair of jeans, no way that stain was there when you took  the picture 

But, Ebay will still side with the buyer because Ebay would reason that the stain couldve  gotten there by your hand when packing  the item   

report that buyer if you truely feel that stain  wasnt put there by you

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I would have definitely mentioned it in the listing if a dark stain like that was present. If I would have listed it at all.

I already messaged the buyer and basically told them what I said here about my procedure of storing clothing and the fact that stain wasn't there when I listed it.

I know the color of the jeans look different but that could just be lighting and we also used different cameras. But after I get it back I can determine if its even the same pair.  The ones I sold had a couple small paint stains on the hem area that was disclosed in the listing.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Would you mind updating in this thread when you receive the jeans back? Im curious to know what this buyer sent back to you

Also, dont forget to report the buyer should they be anything other than the item you sent them

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

OK, I will try to remember to post an update.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I can't see a stain either........but if the stain is on the right pocket as shown in the photo, that area is hidden in a shadow...........

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Hope it goes well for you.  I sure hate it when the good sellers have to go through these issues with buyers

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Looked like the left pocket  to me

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I can't see any stains on your jeans tbh with you. It seems to me the stains were put there by the buyer IMO.

Definitely report the buyer and block  them.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Its odd that you mention a couple of small paint stains on the hem..because that looks like a paint stain in the picture she returned to you.

Yes,this is a posting id,I have been selling on Ebay for fifteen years!
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@paradiso*bella*a*venire wrote:

Looked like the left pocket  to me

I agree, lower left corner of the left-hand pocket, which you can identify by looking very closely at the wrinkle patterns in the pocket stitching.

That said, I would just take them back for a refund. You're going to be washing them anyway as soon as they come back, and that stain doesn't look like anything that isn't going to come out in basic washing. I've gotten far worse on my own jeans over the years, and they almost always come out clean.

Your buyer is either having Buyer Remorse or is hoping that you will settle for a partial refund. Offer to refund upon return, and then see if the buyer really does send the jeans back.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Looks to me like someone brushed up against a newly varnished, or painted wall, or object..odd place for a stain.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Well here is an update and good news.

The buyer responded to me and said she will attempt to wash them. She responded again and told me she was able to remove the stain. Also sain she removed the paint stain at the hem.

BTW the paint spots on the hem were 2 small circles, like possibly nail polish drops. Didn't look anything like the stain in the picture, that looked more like ketchup stain or something.

She wanted me to close the return but I told her she would have to to wait 30 days for it to expire. I'm guessing buyers can close a return manually?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Thats great, ask the buyer to close the case, if you wait for it to time out, Ebay usually rules in the buyers favor..you dont want a defect.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I did reply and told them i was unable to close it but I think they can. But also told then it will close in 30 days if they didn't close it. I'm not too worried about the defect. I get a max of 2-3 per period in clothing and usually end up below average on the metrics.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply