cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More buyer fraud - EBAY

- Buyer wins bid and gets my $1800 laser Projector. 

- I take excellent photos, S/N, packaging and insure for $1800 and require signature.

- I ship it and buyer says it doesnt work and sends me a photo and opens a dispute.

- I write back and tell him the photo actually shows it works great and he needs to check settings. BUT, if there is damage I need to file a claim with insurance

- He writes back and says it looks great now and CLOSES the dispute saying everything is good. Ebay releases all the funds.
- 3 days later Ebay tells me the sale is on hold because he disputed with his CC company. They let me upload ONE photo and no place to tell my side of the story. I cant upload the buyer stating it looks great, I cant upload the 10 pics I have of it when it shipped and it working. Literally the only option I have it to put my address in and upload one photo with no description. He states it was "not as advertised".

- So now I cant accept a return. I cant go through insurance to file a claim. $1800 is on hold on my Ebay account for all my my other auctions.

At this point he can send back a brick and Im screwed because he didnt go through EBAY like they state a buyer has to do.  And so now my insurance means nothing, Me doing everything I was supposed to means nothing.

Any ideas? This messed up and goes against Ebays own policies.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: More buyer fraud - EBAY

This is why most sellers just accept returns up front and don't get into these kind of messes.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

This is when Photoshop might come in handy. If the credit card company only lets you upload one photo (which is unfair!)... I would use the one that shows it working and type something of a message telling them to contact you ASAP to discuss this buyer!  You can type the message ON the photo, leave a border if you need more room, make it count. OR use the screenshot of his response, and make a photo "montage" that you can save as ONE image. 

ALSO, if you can get in touch with eBay, ask them to call you to discuss. Sometimes eBay will step in. I've had good luck getting in touch with them thru the eBay for business Facebook page.

I no longer sell high-ticket items on eBay for this reason! It's so frustrating that buyers can walk all over us, in so many ways. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

The one photo thing is absolutely ridiculous, but you can get around it by making a collage.  I would not fill it with photos of the item, but a couple of signature photos, the case closure message and his messages to you - relevant documentation. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Uh Oh.. I already uploaded one single pic. I'll try calling EBAY, That stinks.

Thanks for the advice. Hope I didnt blow it.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I'd contact the buyer and ask him to cancel the cc case, based on his message of satisfaction.   Can't hurt anything.........

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I did. So far I received no respnse. I also mentioned to him if he is going to pursue the return that he sort of messed it up because now the option is not available through Ebay.

I also asked to send me photos of the front, back, SN, the screen (its a projector), the packaging and the shipping box.  

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Indeed upsetting. Can only upload 1 photo yet rolling out programs where you can video tape item for sale as well as 360 tech. 

Almost seems like they do not want to know the truth.

Honestly, I have no advise which would lead to a successful outcome for you. I wish you luck and hope you can give an update of how eBay protects your interests. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

1st; no 'insurance' is going to cover an 'electronic' item if it does NOT work. That is NOT what insurance is for. It is simply for 'loss or damage'. If it's lost and their tracking shows that, then you have a case. If the box is damaged beyond normal, needed to be reported immediately; which sounds doubtful in this case so, remove 'insurance' from your thoughts.

2nd- a CC dispute only allows 1 photo of the item because they want to see the 'item' that was shipped to compare to the 'not as described' complaint. A picture of a 'projector' with the item purchased stating 'projector' is all they will probably need.

In the meantime, do nothing and wait. You've done what you can do and contacting ebay for you to 'send' a different photo will net you nothing but a waste of time. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Unfortunately, I suspect that you are about to discover that eBay's payment dispute policy says "the seller may be eligible for seller protection" and not "the seller is eligible for seller protection".

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

At this point he can send back a brick and Im screwed because...

@jpodresell 

Is the payment dispute reason the SAME as the original eBay claim?   If it is, this may help. 

Be advised that with a Payment Dispute, a return  of anything is not required by eBay for the buyer to be refunded from your proceeds. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Wow, yet another heartbreaking buyer-fraud complaint to go along with the hundreds, and probably now many thousands, of others. Ebay's Seller Protection is not what it used to be in years past when the playing field was pretty level.

For all the sellers seeing this, especially newer ones with low feedback, which is a magnet for scammers:

NEVER, EVER  sell online and ship a higher value item that your business model is not prepared to lose, along with your payment, on a forced refund that is way out of line with common sense.

Instead, use a more local venue like Craigslist, where the buyer has to go to the effort to meet with you, sees the item in person and asks any questions about it, accepts it as-is, pays with cash, and leaves a handshake... DONE! -- NO shipping scams, NO deceptive international freight forwarder can of worms, NO return hassles like a box of rocks, NO cc chargebacks to automatically lose, NO waste of lots of time and emotional energy just to end up losing, and NO hassles with an incompetent Customer-No-Service series of reps that will tell you anything just to get you off the phone - if you can even understand what they're saying. I have sold many higher-value large and small items on Craigslist or other local venues, from automobiles to jewelry, with zero hassles or scams pulled on me.

The deck is stacked against online sellers, especially where common sense enters the picture. Amazon is just as bad. It is your choice where your loss threshold is that dictates whether you take a chance on selling and shipping higher-value items online, or with a safer and more efficient local venue.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Duffy, I agree with you 100% as to not selling high ticket items on Ebay.  Like you I sell my big ticket items locally and it works out great.  I also save a bundle on fees doing it this way.  The reason that these types of scams are increasing on ebay is because ebay allows it to happen.  There really is no seller protection especially when it comes to high priced items.  

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

The original dispute said the item was damaged. Thats the one they closed out.

The CC dispute just says "not as advertised" and gives ZERO details.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@jpodresell wrote:

The original dispute said the item was damaged. Thats the one they closed out.

The CC dispute just says "not as advertised" and gives ZERO details.

When they first told you it didn't work, you should have told them to return it for a refund.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 21
latest reply