cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misc electronics

Guys - just wondering what you folks would do in this situation.  I have a ton of electronics like small headphones, laptop chargers, cables, and all these typically sell on eBay for $15 including shipping. It’s cumbersome taking the time to pack and ship each individual item for a five dollar profit after shipping and eBay fees are taken out. What is your minimum profit you’d like to see before listing an item or is there none because this is a business for you? Also, is there a service that I can bulk all these items for them to sell which I am sure will sell fast and they can take a cut

thanks

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Misc electronics

Best to drop off at Goodwill or at your local free monthly recycle / toxic drop program.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

all these typically sell on eBay for $15 including shipping

Do they typically sell consistently for those prices, or are those just prices you have seen them listed for?

If you search for one of your small headphones, you can how many are currently listed and how many have sold recently. My guess is that there will be tens of thousands listed - how will your listing stand out?

I have had success with laptop chargers if I know the specific brand and model they fit, that brand and model are popular, and I advertise as being for that specific model.

Personally, I would dream of listing generic cables or headphones unless I knew there was demand or I had a large quantity of identical ones and could create a multi-quantity listing for them.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

When I am down to listing the 'dregs" and it is list it or junk it I will go down to about $8 with paid shipping if the item has a reasonable chance at selling.

If I look and there are dozens for sale really cheap,  trash can or scrap metal bin it is especially if my items are not pristine

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

All good opinions. Any 3rd party seller will accept these low priced items all in good condition.  I literally have about 100 of these and won’t mind giving up 30% of the profits

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I had a big pile of mixed mobile phone earphones. Couldn't see any point in selling individually, too much like hard work for little return. Filled a couple of foot square boxes and auctioned them off. Still didn't get a lot but strangely they both went through a freight forwarder to the Arab Emirates.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

$5 is my minimum profit for any item, but only a small percentage of my items yield only $5.

I do not offer free shipping. I find packaging which minimizes my time spent packing.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@bidderbuzzer wrote:

It’s cumbersome taking the time to pack and ship each individual item

Is it really all that cumbersome to seal a bubble mailer?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

If I were you I would separate everything, headphones, chargers, cables, etc and sell them as a mixed lot instead of individual items.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Are you sure they will be buyers for a mixed lot of misc electronics? I am assuming that it will be someone who actually then resell on eBay

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

and won’t mind giving up 30% of the profits

@bidderbuzzer 

Sorry, I charge by the hour for my 25 years of expertise over various platforms and websites.  Thirty percent of something that doesn't sell is ZERO, and not an attractive offer at all.   Perhaps advertise locally for cash?  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

$5 is my minimum profit for any item, but only a small percentage of my items yield only $5.

I do not offer free shipping. I find packaging which minimizes my time spent packing.

Indeed. I sell lots of low value items, but they all only take a couple of minutes to pack. An item that yields $5 but only takes a minute or two to pack for shipping isn't a bad ROI in terms of time spent.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Two solutions that I use:
1. Minimum sale for me is $20.

If it's not worth that I may list it for $20 anyway or just pass up and find higher worth items.

2. Make small "wholesale" bundles, in your case 2 to 3 charges / cables / headphones per lot, like 2 each then instead of $15 it's worth ~$30 (and you can even go lower because only one shipping charge but you'll want to do the math there).

And yes, people most certainly buy 2x each of things, especially if you do give a small discount (like $26 for 2 instead of $30 just for example).

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

try the hobby business you make about 2 dollars on every 16 bucks sold...

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Well @bidderbuzzer , there's no guarantee, but others are having success selling as 10 lots. For example, here's one listing on ebay (and there's others) : 

LOT of 10 OEM HP Laptop AC Adapter Power Supply Charger,   $45.88 or Best Offer,   204 sold  

It won't cost you anything to try. And it's easier trying to sell them in bulk instead of one at a time. 

I don't know what type of headphones or cables you have, but you can check out other listings to get an idea. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply