cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Shipment Rate Percentage

Just a quick question/note, but why do sellers get penalized/tracked for something that is totally out of their control? Assuming the seller hands off the proper package to the shipping service, metrics like this are totally out of the seller's control once it's in the mail carrier's hands. Estimated deliveries effect a seller's track record based off stuff that has nothing to do with their service seems a bit unfair to the seller, especially if they are using that metric, either openly or not, to establish more sales for that shop.

Instead of the delivery date being matched with the estimated delivery date the system auto generates at the time of purchase, wouldn't it be more appropriate to gauge that metric by the handling time the seller has specified in the listing to the time it is scanned into the mail carrier's hands. Just don't see the point in tracking something that is outside of the seller's control. Any thoughts on this specific percentage calculation or any other metrics regarding issues like this?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Late Shipment Rate Percentage

@criticalhitgamingemporium wrote:

Just a quick question/note, but why do sellers get penalized/tracked for something that is totally out of their control? Assuming the seller hands off the proper package to the shipping service, metrics like this are totally out of the seller's control once it's in the mail carrier's hands. Estimated deliveries effect a seller's track record based off stuff that has nothing to do with their service seems a bit unfair to the seller, especially if they are using that metric, either openly or not, to establish more sales for that shop.

Instead of the delivery date being matched with the estimated delivery date the system auto generates at the time of purchase, wouldn't it be more appropriate to gauge that metric by the handling time the seller has specified in the listing to the time it is scanned into the mail carrier's hands. Just don't see the point in tracking something that is outside of the seller's control. Any thoughts on this specific percentage calculation or any other metrics regarding issues like this?

I had the same question a while ago. So I sent eBay a note showing that the carrier themselves had included IN THE TRACKING information that due to a mechanical breakdown my packages were being delayed. See,ms I shouldn't be dinged for that - right?

This is the response I got from eBay:

We appreciate a valued member of our eBay Community reaching out to us today. I can certainly understand your concern with these 3 shipments on your Seller Dashboard.

To be completely transparent with you, I’m afraid we do not have a way to appeal these kinds of defects because they do not cause your account to fall to below standard. We provide that extra 5% wiggle room in your metrics for when these kinds of things happen, and thankfully these kinds of defects do not incur any additional selling fees.

I know how this can be frustrating since the situation can feel outside of your control, but the best you can do is ensure your orders have tracking attached to them and that carriers scan them as soon as they receive them. The good news is these are not a threat to your top rated status, plus, the look-back if it is in 3-months, and you'll see them fall off in no time.

end quote

So the message I read is : Basically, just live with it.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The estimated delivery date DOES include a seller's handling time. 

There is no metric for items being delivered beyond the estimated date, providing you properly handle any claims of non-receipt.

There is one for carrier acceptance and tracking upload. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I think you might have misunderstood the question being posed in reference to the "late shipment rate" percentage that shows up in the 'Seller Level' within the seller hub main page.

It's comparing the estimated time that's generated ebay provides when the purchase is initiated vs the actual date the package is scanned in as delivered to the end buyer. I'm 100% on following through on my handling time, but have a late shipment rate of 1.x percent due to the mail carrier not delivering package before or at the estimated delivery date vs the completed sales. Once the package is handed off to the mailing service, the amount of time it takes to get to the customer is out of the seller's hands, but we are still tracked for it in the "late shipment rate" percentage for it. Tracking that metric on the seller's end doesn't seem to make sense.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

That is of course unless I'm misunderstanding the point of the 'late shipment rate' percentage entirely, and it's just that they are not scanning the package in until a few days later as I do tend to schedule a pickup every day for any packages that need doing so. But given the context of 'late shipment rate' I'm assuming it's comparible to the end delivery date vs estimated delivery date. Either way, it shouldn't be on the seller who's following through on his end, just because the shipping service is either behind on their tracking or on actually delivering the parcel. 😕

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

The estimated delivery date DOES include a seller's handling time. 

There is no metric for items being delivered beyond the estimated date, providing you properly handle any claims of non-receipt.

There is one for carrier acceptance and tracking upload. 

Actually for all intents and purposes it doesn't.

ebay has stated that even if your handling time is 3 days, if you "historically" ship same or next day THAT is what they use in estimated ETA and that is NOT right. They SHOULD use your stated handling time plus the carrier's EDT.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

If you receive an acceptance scan within your handling time frame, then your package arriving late will not count against you regardless of the estimated delivery date and whether or not you meet that.  

I've had a package arrive weeks later than the estimate and it didn't count.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

As @fern*wood stated, if your package is scanned as accepted by the carrier within the handling time OR scanned as delivered within the estimated delivery date, you will not receive a late shipment ding. It sounds like in your case the packages aren't being scanned until later so that can cause a problem.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Post #7 is right on the money. 'Late' shipment FINAL Delivery is NOT a thing that is used.

I have 5 business days handling and almost EVERY listing purchased tells customers they'll have it in hand 3, 4, 5 days later. I would be 100% LATE if they ACTUALLY used the dates they show.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Shipping is just that. If you say ships in one day, that doesn’t mean print a label and let it sit there for 2 days. It means scanned by the post office. I hate late shippers.

I ship everyday including Saturday, in one day, and my husband takes it to the post office so it makes the 2pm truck. 

I look at it like this…”I want my packages fast, so the customer does also”

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

If you receive an acceptance scan within your handling time frame, then your package arriving late will not count against you regardless of the estimated delivery date and whether or not you meet that.  

I've had a package arrive weeks later than the estimate and it didn't count.

I had one arrive over a month late during the Christmas 2020 mail fiasco. Zero effect on my account because I got it scanned within my handling time.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@criticalhitgamingemporium wrote:

Just a quick question/note, but why do sellers get penalized/tracked for something that is totally out of their control?

It is not totally out of a seller's control. When I drop off a package at the USPS, I stand in line and insure that it gets an acceptance scan. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Your problem isn't that the pkgs are arriving late.  99% chance your problem is that you're not getting an Acceptance Scan at pickup or drop off & so the first one may be happening 1 or more days later.   It sucks, but the way to fix that is to be certain you get a scan EVERY SINGLE TIME.   I go through GREAT lengths to do so b/c I have a lot of problems on my route.  Also, if you drop off at the PO, you can now use the APC (the self serve kiosk) to get a scan.  I have stopped doing most pick-ups & just DIY at the APC myself.  

It's not fair b/c there are still so many problems in the USPS system with getting the initial scan, but it is the way it is.  I'm going to do what it takes to protect myself.  Being able to do it at the APC, was a huge & very positive game changer. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

How do I avoid getting a "Late Shipping" ding if the buyer asks that I hold the item for a couple of weeks before shipping? This buyer has paid, has a very good feedback and asked that I hold the item until she returns from vacation. Seems like a reasonable request, but I don't want eBay tagging this as a late shipment on my end.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply