cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item sold, buyer uses the "Arrived Damaged" reason

This will get long...

I sold an item to a new buyer, they paid, received the item. Then once I left feedback about the speedy payment, they filed a return request. I have always packed items extremely well. Ebay said to accept return and start refund process. I messaged the buyer requesting pictures of damage, or report from post office. No response. I messaged the buy about a shipping label. I purchased a Click N Ship label and sent to them. I asked the buyer to make sure and ship in timely manner. I had not given eBay the tracking number yet. No response from the buyer.  I chatted with eBay assistant (live chat) mentioning all of this. They suggested contacting the buyer. I asked the buyer when they took the item to the post office, no response. I kept tracking online, and eventually the tracking number showed up. USPS said it is on its way, was not initiated at the buyers post office though. Showed initiated in my state. I tracked it, to see when it would arrive, so I could take pictures of package and contents.  Online showed delivered, so I went to mail box..."No Package"!

I called the post office to find out what was going on, their response was it looked like an odd delivery. I ended going to the post office and getting a printout of the total sequence. They mentioned the label was missing QR code and other items. The delivery address was a tiny label it appears in their picture. I mentioned all of this to eBay customer support. They suggested sending picture of delivery label to buyer. (No Response from buyer). 

Today eBay says package was delivered and for me to refund the buyer. I have not received the item, and may have to get USPS involved. Trying to show proof that I did not receive the package, the tracking number was used somehow on a different package,  the interesting part is, the postage was identical to my payment amount for postage. 

WHACK-A-HACK

It made a difference to that one didn't it?!?!

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Item sold, buyer uses the "Arrived Damaged" reason

Great idea! I had already thought about the post office. And will get with local PD to see about it. The thing the scammer does not realize....the address they sent the gravel to is the home of a local sheriffs deputy.  Thank you!

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

@fairtrade wrote:

Great idea! I had already thought about the post office. And will get with local PD to see about it. The thing the scammer does not realize....the address they sent the gravel to is the home of a local sheriffs deputy.  Thank you!

You may need to explain the process to your local PD, who will otherwise stammer something like, "Uh, that's a civil matter." See if your local postmaster or postal inspector can help first, since they're more directly involved in these types of scams, and should be able to help with next steps. Keep us posted...

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Just finished a long live chat with eBay, they are going to refund the buyer / scammer in full! I asked where I can send the printouts and pictures to, to show what the  "buyer" did.  They suggested I send pictures of the package and gravel to the buyer, which will allow them to see the pictures also. I asked about it, and was told they will protect users.....:(

I also filed a mail fraud notice with www.uspis.gov. Interesting few days...

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

You will have to appeal the case and provide your legal case numbers and pics of the paperwork to get your money back.  Unfortunately many sellers don't do it so these scammers keep the scam up, likely making far more than I do annually.  

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

Just an update and interesting information, perhaps help others that get hit by scammers. Ebay mentioned in live chat they will refund the buyer in full as a one time  courtesy time deal, with no fault of mine.  I asked how to send the pictures, and they mentioned to send message to buyer with pictures, and ebay trust and safety would also be able to view them. I did that earlier today. A few moments ago, the buyer finally responded, that apparently they meant to send the gravel to someone else, even though it was my zipcode. And they mentioned they will pay for postage, and if I will relist the item, they will buy it. I have not responded, but will make sure ebay reads the message also. I have added them to my blocked bidder list. Ebay paid the buyer from ebay funds, so hopefully they will release mine quickly.

Thank you all for help and suggestions! I do appreciate it

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

Its not his fault.  Ebay does not force the buyer to use an ebay generated shipping label for returns.

Even if they did, this scam buyer could have sent back an empty box or a box with garbage back in it.  Which they did, a package full of gravel.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Of course seller has the right to see pictures of the "damage". I had a scammer buyer claim damage, sent photos that really showed no damage. Ebay allowed him to return and upon arrival, again, no damage. Ebay is promoting fraud by allowing such returns. Buyers are learning they can just make stuff up and eBay will allow it. 

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

This is precisely why I do not leave buyers feedback until I know they are happy and are not going to perpetrate a scam return. Fast payment is only the first of buyer's obligations. 

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@allen1853 wrote:

This is precisely why I do not leave buyers feedback until I know they are happy and are not going to perpetrate a scam return. Fast payment is only the first of buyer's obligations. 

Have you ever left a buyer positive feedback after they left you a neutral or negative?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 24 of 30
latest reply

The latest update just a few minutes ago, Ebay notified me that my appeal is no good, as they determined their decision to refund the buyer was the right thing to do, as the tracking showed returned. I sent them all pictures of the envelope and gravel and address. To top it off, the buyer responded that the gravel was supposed to go elsewhere,  and that they would pay the postage this time to return it, and that if I list it, they will bid and buy it, not knowing I blocked them....interesting coupe of days...

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Unfortunately eBay never cared about sellers. So I agree with another people say who suggest you to file police report and go from there, eBay should notify your buyer that police investigation has been been submitted and will go on. Otherwise eBay wont help you with anything, I realized that 2 years ago. Its better to give up on what you have sold, but nit in your case because that's $3k. I had problems when buyer would say after almost 30 days that they received item damaged, when buyers would crack open an items trying to fix it or whatever, used it and returned it, swaped they old contoller with my new one and returned me their old one, and all eBay said that tracking shows it was delivered so I have to return money to buyer. I did make videos of unpacking videos and pictures to compare all different stuff to the item to prove that buyer just a scammer but nothing at all and in the end I received negative feedback lol eBay is a scam itself, I wouldn't suggest you to sell really expensive items in here unless you are ready to give up on some of it sometimes if it's still profitable to you.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

I know that my solution is not applicable to all sellers especially high volume sellers, but I take photos as I pack the item and I put them in my "Shipments" folder.  All of my shipments have arrived safe 'cause I'm a careful and protective packer which has generated nice comments from buyers. I have not received any "Item arrived damaged" claims but if I should my photos would prove that my packing could not have been the cause, it would have to be external causes.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

You've just been lucky a scammer hasn't got to you, yet.  Of you may sell in less scammed category's... eBay wouldn't even consider those pictures because you could taken a picture, smashed it bits and shipped it.  It could be a long uncut video from packing to drop off and eBay won't even consider it.  Just like with this seller who got back rocks, it showed return delivered and full refund.

To OP, hopefully you didn't waste your appeal.  Without legal cases, the result is always full refunds.  eBay literally promotes this behavior and even when you file legal cases, eBay would still likely courtesy refund the scammer.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

I have not had any packages lost or damaged for the many years I have been shipping and packing items. Not just on eBay, but as part of my job working with aircraft parts and supplies. The buyer admitted in a message today, that they have already built the kit, meaning they admitted it was not damaged, and also admitted the fraud of the gravel being shipped back. They asked if I would relist it, and they would buy it, not knowing I have blocked them from bidding.  They said they would pay postage to return, knowing they were not going to return it, as they used the items. I may just print all of the communications from them, plus pictures, evidence etc, and mail to Trust and Safety, not knowing if it will help at all. It was for a Flite Test Mini Guinea foam board airplane kit.

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Thanks! The buyer has admitted they did not ship it, and that they already built the airplane kit. I had sent them pictures as directed by eBay, so that eBay could see what transpired.  The buyer asked if I would relist and they would buy it...I told them not going to list something I do not have.

I do appreciate the comments and suggestions from all on here. Take care and have a great day!

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 30 of 30
latest reply