cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item sold, buyer uses the "Arrived Damaged" reason

This will get long...

I sold an item to a new buyer, they paid, received the item. Then once I left feedback about the speedy payment, they filed a return request. I have always packed items extremely well. Ebay said to accept return and start refund process. I messaged the buyer requesting pictures of damage, or report from post office. No response. I messaged the buy about a shipping label. I purchased a Click N Ship label and sent to them. I asked the buyer to make sure and ship in timely manner. I had not given eBay the tracking number yet. No response from the buyer.  I chatted with eBay assistant (live chat) mentioning all of this. They suggested contacting the buyer. I asked the buyer when they took the item to the post office, no response. I kept tracking online, and eventually the tracking number showed up. USPS said it is on its way, was not initiated at the buyers post office though. Showed initiated in my state. I tracked it, to see when it would arrive, so I could take pictures of package and contents.  Online showed delivered, so I went to mail box..."No Package"!

I called the post office to find out what was going on, their response was it looked like an odd delivery. I ended going to the post office and getting a printout of the total sequence. They mentioned the label was missing QR code and other items. The delivery address was a tiny label it appears in their picture. I mentioned all of this to eBay customer support. They suggested sending picture of delivery label to buyer. (No Response from buyer). 

Today eBay says package was delivered and for me to refund the buyer. I have not received the item, and may have to get USPS involved. Trying to show proof that I did not receive the package, the tracking number was used somehow on a different package,  the interesting part is, the postage was identical to my payment amount for postage. 

WHACK-A-HACK

It made a difference to that one didn't it?!?!

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item sold, buyer uses the "Arrived Damaged" reason

Hi, eBay currently does not require buyers to show evidence to back up claims of damage. (We have heard that this may be changing in the future, but right now the buyer doesn't have to prove his veracity.) eBay takes a buyer at his word.

If your buyer opened an item Not As Described case, and shipped the item back, when the tracking confirms delivery, then you are on the hook for the refund, even if the item hasn't appeared in your mailbox yet.

Not saying your buyer is fraudulent, but there is a scam where the fraudster returns the item to an address somewhere in the seller’s zip code, just not to the seller, and the delivery confirmation triggers the notice to refund. The seller never receives his goods back and the buyer can get his refund from eBay who then holds the seller accountable for reimbursing them.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Well, this is a mess. When a buyer mentions their item was received damaged, it is a return as far as you're concerned. The buyer doesn't have to take pictures, etc. It's nice if they do, most will. But, it should have been a simple, "Please, return".  Then, the buyer should do a return THROUGH Ebay. You pay for postage.  That way Ebay has the full issue under wraps, not buyer or seller.  Sounds like too much went on outside Ebay channels? If so, you open up the opportunity for scams, etc.  Could the label you bought be in error? Was THAT tracking actually used?  Post Office could have messed up, I guess. But, unlikely. If tracking shows item was delivered to you, you'll have to refund. If not, Ebay will do it for you.  It sounds like an error with the label. 

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

"Then once I left feedback about the speedy payment, they filed a return request."

Most of my returns and issues have been from buyers within hours of my leaving feedback.  I changed my system and I no longer leave feedback until about 30 days have passed, especially for buyers with little or iffy feedback.  

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Hi, eBay currently does not require buyers to show evidence to back up claims of damage. (We have heard that this may be changing in the future, but right now the buyer doesn't have to prove his veracity.) eBay takes a buyer at his word.

If your buyer opened an item Not As Described case, and shipped the item back, when the tracking confirms delivery, then you are on the hook for the refund, even if the item hasn't appeared in your mailbox yet.

Not saying your buyer is fraudulent, but there is a scam where the fraudster returns the item to an address somewhere in the seller’s zip code, just not to the seller, and the delivery confirmation triggers the notice to refund. The seller never receives his goods back and the buyer can get his refund from eBay who then holds the seller accountable for reimbursing them.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

The delivery address was a tiny label it appears in their picture. 

@fairtrade 

Are you speaking of a photo of the actual label on the parcel that is supposed to be coming to you that the Post Office showed you?   If so, was it addressed to you? 

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Actually, the package was delivered to an address about 5 blocks from here, I intend on later today stopping by....the address has a business and is also a County Sheriffs Deputy residence. I emailed the recipient last night once I found their company.

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

The picture of the label had another address a few blocks from here.  In a different delivery route, which the post office noticed on the report. I will go by later today and ask if perhaps they received a wrong package.

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

I may have to pursue with the post office, and will also go by the delivery address, which is a few blocks from my address. The label picture is odd, as noted by the post office when they ran a search on it. A lot missing from the label. The recipient here is a business and also Sheriff Deputy residence, so I will check with them.  And keeping printed records of any and all information, that I will copy and mail to ebay eventually. They may take my money and give to the buyer, which costing me $$$. 

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

If you have proof the item was shipped to a different location then you should get on the phone and provide the evidence to ebay, and demand the case be closed in your favor.

The printout you received from the post office should show the exact delivery address. That is all the proof you need.

I have had buyers pull scams like this on me multiple times over the years. They will send a really cheap item in place of yours, then send it to a different location somewhere within your zipcode.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Just curious...was the item sold -over 20 dollars in value, and, was it breakable?...if so, I could see the concern...I hope you get it resolved.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@fiftee5chevee wrote:

Just curious...was the item sold -over 20 dollars in value, and, was it breakable?...if so, I could see the concern...I hope you get it resolved.

Several of the OP's recent sales were at or around the $100 mark. This looks like a typical return scam, now that the image of the address on the returned package has been seen, addressed to someplace else within the seller's ZIP code.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

I am going to check the address it was delivered to, and if it is not my item, will ask to take a clear picture of the label, and then send a package of printouts to ebay.  And hope they look at it.

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

The total loss to me will be $115.00, it is/was an R/C airplane kit, with all items included in the box, with bubble wrap etc. 

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Actually the recipient let me have the small envelope full of gravel, that weighed 3 ounces, I am going back to the post office shortly, to see what can be done. They mentioned this is a scam that has been going on for a long time. I am also going to send pictures of all items to ebay, to hope they do not refund the scammer. Also will change to have low feedback bidders contact prior to being allowed to bid. Sheesh!!

WHACK-A-HACK

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@fairtrade wrote:

Actually the recipient let me have the small envelope full of gravel, that weighed 3 ounces, I am going back to the post office shortly, to see what can be done. 

That's great! Now file a mail fraud dispute with your local postmaster, and file a police report with your local PD. Your police are not actually going to do anything themselves, but with their report number, you will then be able to contact the PD in the buyer's town and file a report with them, using your local PD report number as a reference. This tells the buyer's PD that you're not J. Random Loony who reports people every day, but that you've shown your evidence to your local PD and they found it plausible enough to write up a report. 

eBay is not going to pursue the scammer for you, though you might win a courtesy refund from them. If not, unfortunately this is someone you will need to pursue on your own, as above.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply