cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item deleted by Ebay as a medical device, its Not

Catheters are not a medical device yet my listing was deleted when others are being sold and purchased on Ebay.   Caught in a loop of trying to chat with bot and no results, is there an actual person to talk with?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, catheters are in fact a medical device. Likewise, some products require approval from ebay to be sold here. Its likely the other sellers have approval from ebay to sell those catheters, while you dont. You really need to reach out to support to get a solid answer as to why they took it down and what you can do avoid the issue moving forward.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yes, catheters are in fact a medical device. Likewise, some products require approval from ebay to be sold here. Its likely the other sellers have approval from ebay to sell those catheters, while you dont. You really need to reach out to support to get a solid answer as to why they took it down and what you can do avoid the issue moving forward.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If you're talking about urinary catheters, they are medical devices and many do require prescriptions. eBay cannot vet each listing for a urinary catheter product to see whether it's for a prescription or for an OTC product, eBay simply prohibits their sale.  (I assume you're trying to sell the "condom type," which I believe is OTC.)

Sell them elsewhere.  If you re-list them, you risk having your account restricted or permanently shut down.

As for others selling them, some may have the necessary permissions to sell medical-related items on eBay.  Some are just not yet caught violating policy.

-

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It MUST be a medical device because I don't believe ANYONE would use one for the 'fun of it'. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Some medical supply companies have permission. eBay wouldn't even let me sell a belt holster for an insulin pump. When I called to explain it was like a phone case, I was told I could be suspended if I tried it again. Sigh.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@ruthsrendezvous wrote:

Catheters are not a medical device yet my listing was deleted when others are being sold and purchased on Ebay.   Caught in a loop of trying to chat with bot and no results, is there an actual person to talk with?

Among the items that cannot be sold on ebay are items that require a prescription. 

Note that the list of prohibited items isn't all-inclusive: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/medical-devices-policy?id=4322&st=3&p...

And FYI: 

https://www.180medical.com/help-center/article/prescription-catheters/

Do I need a prescription to get catheters?

Yes, you will need a prescription in order to get catheters and related urological supplies. This is because intermittent catheters are regulated as prescription-only medical devices.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

That's right for intermittent catheters, as it says, but there are also "external" types (for both men and women), where nothing is inserted into the urethra, and those can be bought OTC, no prescription needed. 

-

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

thank you, best answer I received.  I did try the online help but it did not answer my question and the chat option never answered my question, just kept repeating the same programmed response.

Thank you

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

thank you    ebay lets some sellers list these as I can see them for sale, and also listings that have been sold....mine was deleted but I have other options

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I had a icepack removed as a medical device

Message 10 of 10
latest reply