cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Sold For Less Than Listed Without An Offer?

I have a lot of three comic books listed for $10 or best offer. It sold for $8. I never got an offer. How is this possible?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Item Sold For Less Than Listed

It shows best offer expected you must have had it set to automatically accept over a certain amount 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I already checked to see if I did by clicking sell similar in the listing. I didn't have it set to automatically accept, and even if some slim chance I did, I also checked my ebay messages on ebay. There is no history of an offer being made by the buyer.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@talisman778 wrote:

I already checked to see if I did by clicking sell similar in the listing. I didn't have it set to automatically accept, and even if some slim chance I did, I also checked my ebay messages on ebay. There is no history of an offer being made by the buyer.

In your current BuyItNow listings, it looks like the majority of them have Make Offer enabled, and the listing in question does show Best Offer Accepted. Assuming that it was at or above your auto-accept setting, I suspect the offer went straight through to a purchase, and thus it would not have been logged as an offer for you to consider, thus there would be no record of that.

Is it possible that Sell Similar on a previous listing would not automatically inherit an auto-accept number?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I never use auto accept. When I click sell similar it shows how I had it listed: Best offer and reject offer below $3.00. Automatically accept is not checked. I have had two previous offers for this comic book lot from another ebay member. And both times it had me review it. One for $4 and another offer of $5. I countered with $6 and it was declined. The person who bought it is not the one who made the previous offers. Why would it have me review the previous offers if I had it set to auto accept?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

The only explanation I can think of is, because I countered $6 with a different ebay member, ebay has some sort of bot that recognized that and auto accepted any amount greater. Can anyone confirm that? I never even got an email from ebay that it sold, or from paypal that it was paid for. Checked my spam folder. Even checked to make sure the email was correct in the listing it is.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Sometimes boxes get checked without you intending or realizing it later.  That's what probably happened.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

No, because it would be the same when clicking sell similar. The box isn't checked, but the box that says auto decline is, and it shows the amount of $3.00. This also goes along with the two previous offers from a different ebay member I reviewed and countered. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Called ebay and they checked. My settings in the listing are as I said they were. I did not have auto accept checked. They're going to have a technical team look into this.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Let us know what they come up with. The last thing we all need is auto-sale glitches.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@scottish_kat wrote:

Let us know what they come up with. The last thing we all need is auto-sale glitches.

Oh, heck, yes. 

Remember a month or two back when someone noticed a number of incoming offers that were just one cent above his auto-decline price, with no evidence of failed offers prior to that? There was speculation at that time that there might be a third-party tool in use that was able to determine a seller's auto-decline price without incrementing the count of failed offers (since you only get five, if I remember right). The nightmare scenario would be if there's a similar tool that can determine a seller's minimum auto-accept setting, if he has one.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@talisman778 wrote:

The only explanation I can think of is, because I countered $6 with a different ebay member, ebay has some sort of bot that recognized that and auto accepted any amount greater. Can anyone confirm that? I never even got an email from ebay that it sold, or from paypal that it was paid for. Checked my spam folder. Even checked to make sure the email was correct in the listing it is.

This sounds like the most likely answer to what happened.  If this is the case, the only thing missing from the process is:

• You weren't aware about this process.
  • You didn't receive a message confirming the Best Offer was Accepted.
  • And, you indicated you didn't select to Auto Accept Best Offer, so this is the opposite of what you wanted.

I would call eBay and ask them what happened here.  If you do, please report back to update us, so we can provide more feedback.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Ebay told me I could cancel the transaction, but I could receive a defect or negative feedback. Something like that. I stopped her before she could finish by saying I'm perfectly fine with the price. I just wanted to know how this could happen. She asked me if anyone other than me had access to my account. No. I am the only one.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

So, in other words, she didn't believe you.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@talisman778 wrote:

The only explanation I can think of is, because I countered $6 with a different ebay member, ebay has some sort of bot that recognized that and auto accepted any amount greater. Can anyone confirm that?

I can't, but that is a really good theory.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply