cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is eBay Forcing you to use Promoted Listings to Sell your Items?

I want to bring to the attention of the eBay community a trend i have seen on my account and see if anyone else has been experiencing the same trend on theirs. 

During 2023, i have noticed that the only way i am selling my items is if they are Promoted. If i choose not to Promote them, they will not sell, nor will any traffic be generated to the listings. I have used Terapeak to better my titles, take actual pictures of my items, describe the items well and am a Top Rated Seller. 

As of June 15, 2023, i have spent $241 on Promotions. At this same point last year, i had spent $58 on Promotions. 🤔

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Is eBay Forcing you to use Promoted Listings to Sell your Items?

Of course, your expression "doing fine" is relative to your own personal level of expectation and contentment whether your 262 listings are producing 3 sales per week or 30 sales per week. 😉

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

I am sincerely sorry you are being made to feel "force" into this.  Ebay doesn't force anyone to use this tool or any variation of this tool.  It is a tool that sellers can choose to use or to not use.  

It also is NOT used on most of the active Ebay listings.  However in certain categories that are so saturated with listings, PLS can be of great help to a seller to move their inventory out.  In categories that aren't as saturated they aren't as useful.  

There are three versions of this tool.  If you are going to use it, make sure you know the rules completely so you can choose to use the version that gives you the most traction.

PLS = Promoted Listings Standard

Promoted Listings Advanced

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/promoted-listings-advanced?id=5299#:~:text=P....

Make sure you read them closely so you can see which one is better suited for you and what you sell.  There is no right or wrong answer.  Just which tool, if either of them, are good for you.  It is an individual decision.

There is a third one called Promoted Listings Express.  The following link may help you more information.

https://export.ebay.com/en/marketing/promote-listings/how-to-choose-the-right-campaign-type/

PLE = Promoted Listings Express

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 47
latest reply

@23nyfans wrote:

I agree, I feel eBay does force us to use promotion listings, I wish these fees were not so high.

@23nyfans 

The seller sets the additional fees they are willing to pay for a sale.  You should be adding that cost into the price of your item you are selling so you cover the additional fees.

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

I choose to use PL, the majority of my sales are not sold through PL. So no, eBay isn’t forcing me to use PL it’s a choice I made.

I promote at 2% and nothing more. 

I kind of like the way you do it.  I currently don't use PLS, but I may give it a test with the way you do it.  Thanks for the info.

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

@sumsum70 wrote:

No. Everyone should stop using PL. Actually, everyone who uses it should have never started using it. Why is/was it never obvious that the PL scam is just the inverse of racing to the bottom? You will still ultimately lose profit, but instead of buyers benefiting from the low prices of sellers dumb enough to work for free or at a loss, eBay is gaining profits.

PLS can be a very good tool, especially those that sell in very saturated categories.  It isn't a "scam".  You need to research the definition of that word as it is incorrect for this situation.  

PLS is also not a race to the bottom nor should any seller be losing profits that use the tool.  Just like you do normally, you consider all your costs when developing the price of your product you want to sell.  It is no different when you use PLS.  You add those additional costs into the price of your product that you are selling.  There is no reason for a seller to lose money unless they just aren't paying attention or they don't know how to sell.  This tool was set up for both Ebay and the Seller to win with.  And used properly they will.  But you do need to use it properly.

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

That is not true. I make a profit on every sale. I incorporated my fees into the price of my items(FVFs, PL fee and shipping).

If you’re not making a profit then you’re not doing something right. 

Another excellent post.  I like you [for what that is worth. LOL] and your selling experience.  It is very helpful.

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

@shoes-n-stuff wrote:

I have 1200+ items and have never promoted a single one. So no, eBay is not forcing me to promote them. 

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

@pls-consignments wrote:

Of course, your expression "doing fine" is relative to your own personal level of expectation and contentment whether your 262 listings are producing 3 sales per week or 30 sales per week. 😉

I have very low expectations.   😉

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 23 of 47
latest reply

I hope your right  , but the fact that ebay is losing in every number except ad fees , as our sales( GMV ) plummet down to where it was in 2013  , the number of buyers plummet dowm 25% , market share down apx 40% , these are not good signs , in my opinion ebay had a perfect opportunity to retain customers ( and turn things around ) during the pandemic , this CEO squandered it , that's my opinion as the exodus of buyers has been speeding up  , again i hope your right .. good luck 

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

No, eBay is not Forcing me to Promote my listings. 

And unless you are stilling the exact same items as I am, at the exact same prices, 

There is no way to really tell one works better over the other. 

It is all just meaningless numbers.   

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 25 of 47
latest reply

I would not say they are forcing me too. I have noticed that if I do not use the  promoted option I get very little to no traffic. I learned last year that the only way my items get pushed into the suggested items for potential buyers without paying is to keep my item count over 250 items listed. 

Last year I worked hard for two days doing photos, descriptions and such and sat down to create listing for it all. I ended up getting 350 items posted all with names like Hugo Boss, Micheal Kors, Gucci, Abercrombie & Fitch,  etc..  

Between the vast selection I had posted and the name brand brand new items I had Ebay started promoting my items without me paying.

When I have less than 250 items up I pay promoted listing fees on one item per category of items I have. Like a wheel set to get eyes on all my other bike parts, same for Toys, Shoes, Clothing, Electronics, Household and such.

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

You also have 975 followers and 11,000 listings, that helps.

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

That works well until the category you sell in becomes saturated and the cost of promoting drives your prices above what buyers are willing to pay.

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

@shoes-n-stuff 

No.

eBay added the promoted listings giving them priority in search results. Previously, your organic search results had priority without the extra higher layer of promoted listings.

eBay lowered the search results they previously included with eBay fees (for good organic search items). You are now getting less search benefits then before the addition of promoted listings.

You can choose to accept your lower search results or pay eBay promoted listing fees to pay for the higher search results your (good) organic listings had before promoted listings without the extra cost.  Since promoted listings are based on ad rate, the best organic listing Ads will not necessarily achieve top listing. even with promoted listings, you are not necessarily going to get the best organic search result you may have had before promoted listings.

eBay search is now more about the highest bidder than returning the most relevant results.

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

@huntfishdie45 wrote:

You also have 975 followers and 11,000 listings, that helps.

Are you selling under multiple accounts?

Message 30 of 47
latest reply