cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This A Managed Payments Invitation?

I opened my eBay account this morning to check it, as I do most mornings.

I had an "update your account message".

The entire point of the message was that eBay would now take their fees before We got our proceeds.

I glanced at it & tapped, "later" or whatever.

Now, I can't find the message.

Was this the dreaded invite to Managed Payments?

Before anyone jumps on me, we do not plan on participating as sellers in this.

Our reasoning is, of course we are not using our primary checking account because that would just be not smart.

We are small sellers & just dealing with a new bank & all of the minimum balances, fees & extra bookkeeping are just not going to be worth the time.

We really enjoyed eBay at one time, but have agreed that when we got the "invite", it would be the universe telling us it was time to stop.

How much longer will we be allowed to list?

Do I double down & list what I can right away? 

Will my PayPal account be "unhooked"?

When? 

Not that it should surprise me, but it did, why The subterfuge? 

"Update my account?"

That seems sneaky. Is MP really so awful that it can't be named in any fashion? 

There was not even a mention that this would change the entire payment system.

Why play "gotcha?"

Now I can't even find the message. 

I need help with this and Any is greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Is This A Managed Payments Invitation?

Thank you for your reply.

We are not planning on joining managed payments.

I really just want to know how much longer I will have. 

Will they just freeze me? At that point do I lose my listings? How does that happen? 

although I did get some advice on an online bank we may consider. 

We decided some time ago, we are spending too much time for not enough money.

With classic view gone & managed payments to get used to, we are just not going to take time to  adjust to one more thing. 

Ebay has become a habit & I’m not sure it’s a good one.

Not burning any bridges, just putting it down for now.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

just one caution...........If you get switched into MP and get a paid sale ..........you will NOT get your money unless you sign up.......they will turn it over to your State unclaimed money account.......

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

When I got the invitation it said the same thing. That was back in October. I was able to continue to sell until after Christmas. They then sent another message that I had until the end of the month before they would cut me off, so you should get another message. I too quit selling here because I don't trust ebay to do the right thing and didn't think they needed to control my money. 

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

"dhbooksds" said:  "just one caution...........If you get switched into MP and get a paid sale ..........you will NOT get your money unless you sign up.......they will turn it over to your State unclaimed money account......."

Which is precisely why I did sign up.   And when the process of signing me up connected me to my bank's website so that I could press the magic buttons to allow my checking account to take in money from and send out money to  eBay, I did that, too.  

My selling ID currently has five items listed, as auctions, which -- if they all sell even at the listing prices -- will net me around $110.00.   Yes, of course I want eBay to make that money available to me.   In Managed Payments, eBay will electronically send that money directly to my bank -- BECAUSE I gave eBay all the information they asked for, so they could electronically identify my checking account, to send the money to ME rather than, say, to my upstairs neighbor who also has her accounts at the same bank and same branch.  

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@lindyslucky wrote:

We had a B&m clothing store.

Business & personal checking accounts.

The mistakes were endless.

Depsits to wrong account constantly.

Frankly, that would be my cue to take my business to another bank. I have both my general checking account (where my paychecks from my job/my tax refunds/etc. get deposited) and my online selling account (where my eBay sales/the money from PayPal for anything I sell via social media gets deposited) with the same bank and never once in more than seven years have I had an issue like that.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

leave your listings up and check your paypel first before you ship  a sale.   and post as many listings before they put you in mps because they will block you from making new listings after your in it . 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@lindyslucky wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

We are not planning on joining managed payments.

I really just want to know how much longer I will have. 

Will they just freeze me? At that point do I lose my listings? How does that happen? 

although I did get some advice on an online bank we may consider. 

We decided some time ago, we are spending too much time for not enough money.

With classic view gone & managed payments to get used to, we are just not going to take time to  adjust to one more thing. 

Ebay has become a habit & I’m not sure it’s a good one.

Not burning any bridges, just putting it down for now.

They should give you a sign up date and if you don't sign up by that date, I would remove the listings.

It'll start by not letting you list any more or update any listings, then they'll start removing the listings.

How long it'll take, don't know, some members are blocked in a few weeks and some a couple months.

Once they switch your account over to MP, if you don't sign up and you sell anything, you won't be able to get paid.

Have a great day
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

It takes 4 years for money to be sent to the unclaimed state funds. That is pure fear mongering. 

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

You won't get a 1099 for 2021 if you exceed $600 in sales unless that is your states minimum already. The change is for the 2022 filing year which would mean the 1099 would come in early 2023. 

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

General reply.

Thanks to all for sharing tips & info. 
This is valuable to me & I deeply appreciate it. 

I do have an eBay “pile” that I will tackle & list what I can.

Im still surprised that this came in an “update your account” banner.

No email, no message.

It seemed sneaky, but for eBay, I guess...the norm(???)

When we first started on eBay, we were advised by the bank & an accountant to always keep a separate account for eBay. I do think this is prudent. Don’t want to use the same bank for accounts. 

I have no problem giving my SS number & other info. to a banking institution, but with eBay.... I know MP is through Ayden. I would have liked to deal directly with them. (Or something) 

So many eBay money horror stories. Don’t think I could relax giving eBay info for a primary account.

Its the hours I spend constantly trying to keep up & figure things out. 
My profits are just not what they were. Sourcing is difficult to impossible. 
For me, it’s about the $$.

Thanks again to all. 

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

I too refused to sign up and when ebay restricted my listings  I just altered existing listings then they restricted my ability to alter existing listings. I have a subscription shop and no refund was given for the shop subscription despite written & telephone request ebay ignored us so told them that I intended to go to court. I wrote a letter before action no response received and in November  2020 I issued the claim ebay instructed solicitors who arranged for the restrictions to be lifted. My claim against ebay which includes breach of copyright in my photographs has now been listed  for hearing in January 2022 . I am seeking damages plus an injunction for both the breach of copyright and preventing ebay from restricting my ability to manage my shop until they offer immediate payments as paypal do. Any one can and should do it. Ebay are bullies interested in the fees only and not providing any customer service

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

I too refused to sign up and when ebay restricted my listings  I just altered existing listings then they restricted my ability to alter existing listings. I have a subscription shop and no refund was given for the shop subscription despite written & telephone request ebay ignored us so told them that I intended to go to court. I wrote a letter before action no response received and in November  2020 I issued the claim ebay instructed solicitors who arranged for the restrictions to be lifted. My claim against ebay which includes breach of copyright in my photographs has now been listed  for hearing in January 2022 . I am seeking damages plus an injunction for both the breach of copyright and preventing ebay from restricting my ability to manage my shop until they offer immediate payments as paypal do. Any one can and should do it. Ebay are bullies interested in the fees only and not providing any customer service. Have you noticed buyers are now " ebay partners"

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

you cannot get switched. you have to sign up with a different ebay company who sign up with adyen or another processing company. ebay customer service is so poor now that we sellers will be dictated to 100% if we sign up 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Good advice load up all your free listings until ebay stops them from renewing then issue a claim against ebay for breach of contract . far more effective than moving elsewhere. ebays defence is that the user agreement allows them to restrict the  listings in the shop subscription I disagree so read it carefully 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

no chance of signing up directly with adyen ebay might miss out on a fee plus vat.  ebay never ever mentions vat but every  final value fee or service you pay for on ebay is plus 20% vat 

Message 30 of 31
latest reply